Final Fantasy XIV: DAWNTRAIL 6/28/24 - Yo-Kai Watch event is LIVE!

Bacon

• Bacon changed the title to Final Fantasy XIV: DAWNTRAIL SUMMER 2024 - Coming to Xbox 2024
4 hours ago, Bacon said:

A summer 2024 release is kinda bad. There is only 1 major patch left. Unless they have a .6 patch the game is gonna be dead for a long time.

I see no reason why we wouldn't get .6, .7 and maybe even .8 (though this seems less likely given there wouldn't be enough time). The patch update schedule was not said to change, this ain't WoW where you get like over a year without a patch. Worst we got was when COVID hit.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I see no reason why we wouldn't get .6, .7 and maybe even .8 (though this seems less likely given there wouldn't be enough time). The patch update schedule was not said to change, this ain't WoW where you get like over a year without a patch. Worst we got was when COVID hit.

I just feel that SE has been kinda lazy and resting on its laurels with EW. I mean, the whole expansion is FF4 themed without much originality in the .X patches. And the .X patches have lacked any real story progression Since 6.1. Island Sanctuary and Variant Dungeons kinda suck balls and don't even come close to replacing the expedition zones. I do miss the massively multiplayer zones. Sure, it was just a grind, but I kinda enjoyed it for the most part. I enjoyed it much more than the stuff we got this expansion. Tho, I am I big Hildibrand enjoyed.

I just fear that the lesson SE learned with the COVID content drought is that their audience is willing to put up with no content or extended periods of time. I'll be super glad if there are two more .X patches after 6.5. I feel we need at least two more to set the stage for DT.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Well I disagree entirely with pretty much everything you said so I don't think there'll be any productive conversation to be had here!

So, you like the variant dungeons and island sanctuary? Not going to try and convince you otherwise at all, but now I want to know if you find them worthwhile additions. Obviously, I am not a fan of them, especially Island Sanctuary. I despise it.

29 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So, you like the variant dungeons and island sanctuary? Not going to try and convince you otherwise at all, but now I want to know if you find them worthwhile additions. Obviously, I am not a fan of them, especially Island Sanctuary. I despise it.

I've spent so much fucking time in the Island Sanctuary! I expected to not give a shit about it at first, but I quite enjoyed expanding my island and upgrading all the buildings and unlocking new stuff, doing the dumb little workshop schedule to get more cowries, which then rewards you with tons and tons of mounts, glams, orchestrion rolls, etc. It's a very chill place, and being able to add outdoor furnishings really opened it up a lot, making it feel less rigid.

The base variant dungeons are fun to do with my wife, and the hard versions are basically just our first actual hard 4-person dungeon content, which I feel is a niche that was waiting to be filled for quite a long time. The first time we went in the hard variant dungeon the first boss beat the crap out of us for over an hour!

I did like Bozja and Zadnor, but I feel like I'd happily take 2 ultimates and a deep dungeon over those kinds of zones any time -- though I wouldn't mind getting all of it. I love having varied content. And I like deep dungeons quite a bit, don't have my Necromancer title for nothing! I do think they've been playing it a bit safe with all their content to an extent, but at the same time if I want a wild rollercoaster of slapdash new ideas I also play WoW and Guild Wars 2, so having a game that's always reliable in delivering familiar content (but still tries to add a new type of content each expansion, even if it's not the expansion's "gimmick") is, at least for me, a good thing.

There's also the issue of the wide variety of content that's been added over the years, meaning that a lot of people end up feeling scorned when their bugbears aren't addressed. Lotta mad Hrothgar/Viera players every time their hats aren't announced, ultimate enjoyers were upset all of Shadowbringers and its 0 ultimate fights, novelty lovers feel let down if there's nothing new for too long, RPers always happy because they always get new stuff, people upset the graphics update isn't pushing to look like FF16, people upset that the graphics update is going to make their potato obsolete, Eureka lovers hating Bozja, Bozja lovers hating Island/Deep Dungeon, and countless overlaps between them.

And I can see just about everyone's point to boot! It's gotta be stressful as fuck to try to get a patch out on time every time (which again, to bring up WoW, is something the folks at Blizzard suck ass at doing most of the time) while also trying to keep things fresh. Might be time for some team expansion to be able to tackle more things at once. I do think a few more chefs in the kitchen makes sense here because they're cooking many different meals. For example, one of my bugbears is classes feeling homogenized, likely due to the fact that they reliably add two per expansion, and are keen on balance staying somewhat even so that classes aren't left out. Which is funny, because that still happens anyway due to unforeseen design choices like the ability to hold burst being valuable, and burst in general for EW being more valuable than consistent output. I think the game would really benefit from having at least one person per one class, handling all the abilities and all that before passing it along to a lead, that way you can focus on keeping classes unique but not having like 4 people trying to manage like 15+ classes.

Okay, this is out of left field, but I was thinking about a way you might combine two concepts like Deep Dungeon and Bozja together. Of all the things in the world, fucking Roblox popped into my head. My daughter plays this one weird subgenre on there where basically everyone gets into an elevator, and the goal is to survive as long as possible as the elevator doors open on some completely random chaos, and then get back into the elevator with whatever you got and move on to the next floor. While a literal elevator ride might be too stifling as a concept, something about the broader idea seems like it could work to me. Whatever, besides the point!

EDIT: Fixed a bunch of typos, cleared up some phrasing, killed some run-on sentences and added several commas. Original post was a damn mess!

• Thanks 2

I mean, I keep up with my Island, I have over 500k blue currency, and I just view it as the worst thing about the gathering system boiled down into one zone. And if you know me, I despise crafting and gathering in video games. Now, crafting is actually pretty cool in XIV but I still hate DoL jobs including Fisher. I haven't managed my farms since the first week IS came out and just have everything set to auto. Edit: I also have a house so island furniture means squat for me lol.

My problem with Variant Dungeons is that it is more Savage-level content, at least IMO. I wanted more content at the EX level, not savage. I pretty much need to get the savage gear from the savage raids to do 4-man content and I'm not about that. EX content is about all I can stand. I hate doing the same fights over and over again so an EX is about all I can handle considering I only pug.

I'm not a huge deep dungeon guy, tho I haven't really given it a shot outside of using it to grind jobs when I was getting every Job to 80. Deep Dungeons are another time commitment of repetitive content. At least that is how I view them. Like, I rather just play a different game personally.

TBH, I'm just a poor MMO player. I hate doing the same task for more than a few hours total. Like, if I put 10 hours into DD or savage raids but didn't make any progress I just feel like I have only wasted my own time. If I put 10 hours into a single-player game I will have made loads of progress. That's kind of why I like Bozja and Eureka cuz even tho they are grindy, you are always making progress until you hit some kind of cap. When I pug EX, I'm only making progress with that group. Pretty much any disband means I'll end up losing some kind of progress. We might have all seen Gales 2 multiple times, but since it's a new group we are temporarily a Double Meteors prog party.

st5HCoL2qrJunf45ycPaee-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Is it time for FF14 to go full Pokemon?

This would be great for the next expansion! I would also love to see 

latest?cb=20161017191627
FINALFANTASY.FANDOM.COM

The Puppetmaster (からくり士 or カラクリ士, Karakurishi?, lit. Automation Master), also known as the Gadgeteer or Tinker and abbreviated as...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, best3444 said:

How does one play FF14? On the psn store it says not available...

I see it as available for $19.99 on PSN.

WWW.PLAYSTATION.COM

Buy Final Fantasy XIV Online on PlayStation Store. Join millions of other players online in an ongoing adventure across the world of Eorzea.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Thanks @Remarkableriots!

@Bacon what's your thoughts on FF14 online now in 2024? If I buy it what should I be looking for? Like for someone who is starting from the beginning. 

the main series quest is hundreds of hours long and is sort of prerequisite for learning the ins and outs. You can skip it (for a price) but a large appeal of the game is its story which is pretty good after the OG versions of the game. 

It’s got a wealth of content otherwise though. Tons of jobs to level up (which you can do from the same character), regular special events, the works. Community is really nice and helpful. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Bacon what's your thoughts on FF14 online now in 2024? If I buy it what should I be looking for? Like for someone who is starting from the beginning. 

Uh, it's good. Just play the story quests for the most part. And do the blue side quests. You get a lot of exp so you should try to level 2 jobs simultaneously. I recommend whatever you like plus Arcanist as Arcanist shares levels between two jobs so you can level 2 jobs for the price of 1.

Like, let's say you pick the Marauder class at the beginning at the game. That becomes the Warrior Job - a tank. But along side it you level the Arcanist class. The Arcanist class becomes both Summoner and Scholar. A magical DPS and a Healer. That's 3 jobs across 3 different roles.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Uh, it's good. Just play the story quests for the most part. And do the blue side quests. You get a lot of exp so you should try to level 2 jobs simultaneously. I recommend whatever you like plus Arcanist as Arcanist shares levels between two jobs so you can level 2 jobs for the price of 1.

Like, let's say you pick the Marauder class at the beginning at the game. That becomes the Warrior Job - a tank. But along side it you level the Arcanist class. The Arcanist class becomes both Summoner and Scholar. A magical DPS and a Healer. That's 3 jobs across 3 different roles.

So when I buy FF14 online for $19.99 on psn what product am I getting? There are 3 expansions correct? How do the visuals hold up?