Teen accused of rigging vote to become homecoming queen will be tried as an adult

While the potential penalties are lulz-y nonsense, it should be noted that the Homecoming rigging revealed the actual criminal conduct which is that the girl was accessing tons of confidential information on the school computer systems including grades, medical histories, etc.

She even bragged about it to friends for years, so she had been doing this a long time and it was her mom that helped her gain access to the system.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

While the potential penalties are lulz-y nonsense, it should be noted that the Homecoming rigging revealed the actual criminal conduct which is that the girl was accessing tons of confidential information on the school computer systems including grades, medical histories, etc.

She even bragged about it to friends for years, so she had been doing this a long time and it was her mom that helped her gain access to the system.

More failed parenting. Mom should lose her job and be barred from working with children. The kid should be left alone 

5 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

More failed parenting. Mom should lose her job and be barred from working with children. The kid should be left alone 

I could roll with that. I may have missed it in the story, but was it possible for the girl to change her grades or friends grades? There could be huge implications with that and she should definitely be charged with something for that. 

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You seriously didn't expect me to read the actual article did you

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I could roll with that. I may have missed it in the story, but was it possible for the girl to change her grades or friends grades? There could be huge implications with that and she should definitely be charged with something for that. 

The article didn’t reference any changing of the grades. Sounds like she used it for information to be “cool”. If she altered grades then she should be expelled. 

The headline is stupid and underplays what she did massively, but I still think it's insanely punitive. That's Florida for you, though! Conservatives are trying to compare this to the DC teens and it's just totally different situations (and different states).

23 minutes ago, Joe said:

The headline is stupid and underplays what she did massively, but I still think it's insanely punitive. That's Florida for you, though! Conservatives are trying to compare this to the DC teens and it's just totally different situations (and different states).

That's America for you. There's a reason we refuse to jump on the CRC. We need to be able to try children as adults and hand out more punitive punishments to teens than other countries do to adult offenders.

The story only mentions her using the system to view grades and such.

“I have known that Emily Grover logs in to her moms school account in order to access grades and test scores since freshman year when we became friends,” one student wrote, according to the arrest warrant. “She has looked up my student ID before in order to tell me what I got on my FSA [Florida Standards Assessments] and ACT [American College Test].”

Another witness wrote that Grover had logged in to her mom’s account during her sophomore-year reading class to share grades and other information.

While I can understand why a stupid high school student might not realize the gravity of doing so, I have no problem expelling her for it. Firing the mother seems harsh, but justifiable. I imagine that this student probably help set her mom's password (that she probably uses for everything), so it wouldn't be difficult to imagine the kid doing this without her mother's knowledge.

A felony however, seems ridiculous.

When I was in high school we had this system where you could buy snacks on personal credit of sorts. You just wrote your name down on a piece of paper along with your order and the school would charge you for it periodically. Not exactly a high security affair. One of my classmates started buying himself and all his friends food under my name.

He'd been doing this for a good long while when he decided to ask one of my good friends if he wanted free snacks, telling my friend that he was using my name. Turns out he'd charged hundreds of dollars worth of food to my account. It was easy enough to figure out how much was his because I'd never bought anything. He was eventually expelled after pooping in the sinks and I believe cheating on exams, but it would have been insane to charge him with felony theft and/or fraud, and in my case actual money changed hands!