Starfield - Information Thread, update (06/09): "Shattered Space" expansion trailer

SaysWho?

So I assume they tried to stifle "Skyrimming" up hills. You know, where you just press against an angled surface and spam jump? Well they did a bad job, now your character refuses to jump for what can feel like no reason if on an angled surface... or they might jump anyway! Or maybe they'll jump on a third press without you moving at all. It's so weird. It's especially bad because it makes the boost pack feel useless if you're trying to scale a hill and it's just a tad too steep. You can still do it, but it's a lot more annoying. Also the default speed for boost pack recharge is ridiculously slow. It should just recharge instantly the second you touch the ground, like a normal game.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Your encumbrance is listed in your status screen. I think it's called Mass or something... took me awhile to figure it out too.

Yeah it's listed there, but if you're looting a body or want to pick something up from the environment, where you're at / where you'll be encumbrance-wise isn't listed.

If I was REALLY gonna pick nits I'd call out how the game calls encumbrance "Mass" but when you soft inventory it's by "Weight" but... who has the time. :p

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah it's listed there, but if you're looting a body or want to pick something up from the environment, where you're at / where you'll be encumbrance-wise isn't listed.

I don't think ANY of their games have this. I'm trying to think what games do. Do the Souls games have this displayed in the HUD?  I don't remember. I'm pretty sure Remnant doesn't. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

LB button in your inventory menu on the ship, only shows up while on ship and is connected to your storage back at home base. Any jet pack that says boost will give you boost, the one you get at the start is just training wheels. Ships you can buy from the ship yard store at most ship yard in the major towns. Don’t bother trying for a new ship until you have around 250K credits because ships south of that aren’t as good as the starter ship.

You also need the jetpack perk.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

We're all still waiting for you to get to the part of the best-plays-a-game cycle where you end up eventually agreeing with us!

Lol. I'm only playing the game has flaws for sure. I'm just glad I'm having fun with it regardless. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol. I'm only playing the game has flaws for sure. I'm just glad I'm having fun with it regardless. 

It’s definitely fun. It just seems BGS refuses to move forward with modern games design principles. 

Games like this started out complex because nobody understood how to do them. We’ve learned since then, but they haven’t changed.

• True 1

Why can't Bethesda have better character models? Aren't they worth millions and millions of dollars? Wtf the characters look like they were made out of play-doh.  

Then you have Naughty Dog character models from last gen that look almost real. I just don't understand it.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Why can't Bethesda have better character models? Aren't they worth millions and millions of dollars? Wtf the characters look like they were made out of play-doh. 

That's due to the procedural generation of the non-main character NPCs.

The main character NPCs look better because those are crafted.

• Halal 2

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Then you have Naughty Dog character models from last gen that look almost real. I just don't understand it.

I mean, I literally don’t care about that. Character models are the last thing they need to change.

Combat, menus, everything. The graphics are fine.

also, different games.

17 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's due to the procedural generation of the non-main character NPCs.

The main character NPCs look better because those are crafted.

I think even the main characters have this skin-suit look going on. Like, I expect lizard people to bust out any minute.

• True 1

I feel like somewhat shitty looking NPCs are a fine compromise when it comes to making city areas feel like a lot of people live there. Oblivion's "big cities" felt like they had 10 people living in them and some towns in Skyrim were barely any better. I'd like to have it all, but hey, whatever.

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So if Naughty Dog created an open world type game like this the characters would look like dog shit too?

Relative to how their characters look in their linear, cinematic games?  Yes - they'd absolutely look like "dog shit" and they should look that way because anything else would be an absolutely ridiculous waste of development resources.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Relative to how their characters look in their linear, cinematic games?  Yes - they'd absolutely look like "dog shit" and they should look that way because anything else would be an absolutely ridiculous waste of development resources.

The NPCs in Baldurs Gate 3 express emotion far better than any Bethesda game

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Possible because the NPC's look like "dog-shit". 

Dog shit was me being sarcastic. They are passable for looking human. I'm only nitpicking at the character models, too. Everyone else has their complaints and I do too.