Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

The real question is how many of the tanks they have are actually functional?

Most probably are. The only problem is there is a cut off on what's is worth using. I want to say you need atleast gunner IR sights in the modern era. So T-80s and late model T-72s. Don't think T-64BVs had thermals. 

Though the ukrainian army probably has alot of old tanks so you could orobably use mid-early model T-72s in a pinch.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I know they had a lot of tanks before the war but that's gotta sting.

I haven't been keeping up with loses but according to wiki it doesn't sting but it probably might. I know someone posted here a T-72A and it's an early T-72 tank. No Armatas have been spotted so far. So only late/modernized T-72 and T-80s would hurt. However more in a fuck we need to modernize more tanks as opposed to having to buy new ones.

Edit: I don't mention T-90s because they are modernized T-72s. Though would count towards the fuck we need to buy a new tank. If they want a like for like replacement.

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Allegedly distress signals have also been recorded from the Moskva, which is on fire (again, allegedly). We know it was hit, we just don't know how bad it is. Apparently sea conditions are quite bad in the region at the moment.

If it was hit I'm guessing it was bad. Ships today aren't like in WWII where you have thick armor. They are meant not to be hit in the first place.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

If their ships are anything like their tanks, they just have ammunition lying around everywhere without any protection.

I don't get it. Do Russians just not care about their own lives? They remind me of the Orks in 40k.

Their willingness to be put in a meat grinder is fascinating to me. 

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If their ships are anything like their tanks, they just have ammunition lying around everywhere without any protection.

Have you ever seen the videos of young Russian men hanging off the sides of extremely tall buildings just by their hands? 

5 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Question. What happens if Ukraine manages to set something nuclear on fire? Would their be significant fallout from it?

It depends. What would they set on fire? Where is it?

In general, this is not a reasonable question to ask because the only thing possible is 1) the forest at Chernobyl, or 2) nuclear waste pools at their own nuke plants. Neither would be likely targets. 

2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

It depends. What would they set on fire? Where is it?

In general, this is not a reasonable question to ask because the only thing possible is 1) the forest at Chernobyl, or 2) nuclear waste pools at their own nuke plants. Neither would be likely targets. 

A nuclear powered ship or submarine.

22 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Beatty experience. (I dont know much about modern navy so I imagine they have magazines but I doubt they are as well protected as WW1 and WW2 ships)

30 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I don't get it. Do Russians just not care about their own lives? They remind me of the Orks in 40k.

Their willingness to be put in a meat grinder is fascinating to me. 

For the tanks remember most of these designs are from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Stuff like blow out panels and such aren't really seen until 80s+ era vehicles. With the fall of the USSR while tank development continued but there was no real money for it. The T-95 was going to have similar features to the Armata. The biggest being the crew in the hull seperated from the autoloader and an unmanned turret. But no money post Soviet collapse so the project never went anywhere.

Also you have to put extra ammo somewhere. I avoid this issue to a certain extent in warthunder by not taking the max ammo load. IRL you can't really do that because it's better to be fully stocked then to not be. 

So, for the Moskva, if the Ukrainians did indeed hit it, it's no surprise it went up in flames. 

Below is an old picture of the same class of ship showing the weapons. On the left I've circled box 5, which is the air defense suite. These are large missiles with lots of fuel. On the right under the superstructure, I've circled box 2, which is the anti-ship missile suite. These are VERY large missiles with LOTS of fuel. And they're near the largest radar return for an incoming anti-ship missile. 

If a missile hits either of these places, it could very well lead to what we're seeing. 

The Moskva was also providing the majority of Russia's anti-air capability in the Black Sea. 

unknown.png

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

So, for the Moskva, if the Ukrainians did indeed hit it, it's no surprise it went up in flames. 

Below is an old picture of the same class of ship showing the weapons. On the left I've circled box 5, which is the air defense suite. These are large missiles with lots of fuel. On the right under the superstructure, I've circled box 2, which is the anti-ship missile suite. These are VERY large missiles with LOTS of fuel. And they're near the largest radar return for an incoming anti-ship missile. 

If a missile hits either of these places, it could very well lead to what we're seeing. 

The Moskva was also providing the majority of Russia's anti-air capability in the Black Sea. 

unknown.png

Do we know how many missiles Ukraine used? In part my lack of interest in modern naval warfare is due to ASM. Whoever fires enough missiles to overwelhm the AA of the other wins. 

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Do we know how many missiles Ukraine used? In part my lack of interest in modern naval warfare is due to ASM. Whoever fires enough missiles to overwelhm the AA of the other wins. 

Reports (rumors) are that they fired 2. 

Just now, Jason said:
SABC-News-Russia-Unkraine-R.jpg
TDPELMEDIA.COM

"I want France to leave NATO's unified military command. I will never agree that our troops are subordinate to the NATO command or the European command.

They did leave over the Suez Crisis. Probably has recieved fiancial support from Russia.