Star Trek: Picard (Season 2 - 03 March 2022) - Official Trailer

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Season 2 New Teaser Trailer

I understand the allure of a time travel story, but they always make me nervous because they're so easy to screw up.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that we've seen multiple "time cops" in Star Trek by now, including a future version of the Federation. I wonder who will show up this time.

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I understand the allure of a time travel story, but they always make me nervous because they're so easy to screw up.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that we've seen multiple "time cops" in Star Trek by now, including a future version of the Federation. I wonder who will show up this time.

5dk6og.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Trek: Picard (Season 2 - 03 March 2022) - Official Trailer
21 minutes ago, elbobo said:

season 1 was one of the biggest entertainment disappointments I've had in a long time so I am not optimistic about this time around. 

Q, Borg, Guinan, time travel. The only thing missing from this trailer is the Nexus and I bet we get that too before the season's over. 

• 2 months later...

I thought the first couple of episodes were strong but now I'm worried that they have ways too many open plot threads for the amount of time they have left, and new Trek has not shown a willingness to do multi-season story arcs. :/

I'm not enjoying this new season at all. This type of "going to the past to fix crap" storyline would have been resolved in 1 or 2 episodes back in the day but now they're dragging it into a whole season. I wanna see my Star Trek in awesome futuristic stuff (like Discovery) not some crap ass 2024 LA.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the show stuck the landing this week for the story about his mom.

I had seen some pointing out that it wouldn't make sense for his mom to die young like that because we had seen her once on TNG.

Going back and watching that episode has deeper meaning now. I believe it was the only time on TNG where Picard's mother was ever mentioned. So it makes sense that the only time Picard was confronted with her memory was at a time when the crew's deepest and most hidden feelings were being made manifest.

I guess we know who the Borg Queen from episode 1 was now and why she was covered. 

I am left wondering if there is some larger point to this. If this is the Jurati queen, why is she trying to take over the fleet? Perhaps there is an even bigger threat out there and she's trying to join forces? We going to have a good Borg/bad Borg scenario or does it tie into the Continuum?

Maybe the Continuum finally got tired of humanity and want to end them, but our Q won't let them so that's why he's being offed and they think the Borg and humanity together can stop the Q? Q set this whole thing in motion to create the "good Borg" Perhaps the Contnuum is weakened after Quinn's death and the Civil War and they blame humanity.

DeLancy has said he will be in season 3, I believe, so there very well may be some bleed over in s2 and s3 storylines.

On 4/11/2022 at 4:58 PM, NeoJoe said:

I'm not enjoying this new season at all. This type of "going to the past to fix crap" storyline would have been resolved in 1 or 2 episodes back in the day but now they're dragging it into a whole season. I wanna see my Star Trek in awesome futuristic stuff (like Discovery) not some crap ass 2024 LA.

It's the best season of Trek we've gotten since Discovery started, so at least there's that. It was good, not great. Much better than the awful season one. 

Im hoping SNW is much better.

I'm through episode 8. It started fairly strong with the first 2 episodes and then has been going off a cliff of idiocy since then.

Borg Queen was fun during the first half of the series, the actress was clearly having a blast with the role.

Q's dialogue is pseudo-intellectual word salad but De Lancie delivers it with complete dedication and vigor so that is at least entertaining. 

Soong plot feels completely unnecessary and is just padding out the run time and giving another name drop which the show seems obsessed with.

Rios was my favorite new character from the series but he went from competent starfleet captain concerned about not breaking time to bringing his new lady friend and her kid on to his future spaceship in a couple episode span.

I don't understand why Disco and Picard seem to revolve around character's trauma, no one wants Trek to be full of sad people being sad all the time. We just want characters to go have fun optimistic space adventures, please SNW pull this off.

I am wondering if anyone will make a surprise appearance for ep 10.

I was imagining a Disco s1 type ending when Pike's Enterprise shows up.

Like the crew gets zooped back to the future at the moment they left in the middle if the fight with the Borg and some ships show up to save the day, Captain Worf on the Enterprise, Captain Laforge on Challenger, and Captain Riker on whatever ship he has now. Would be a lead in to s3 and maybe the reason why they announced the entire TNG crew coming back for s3 even before s2 ended.

Well I guess now we know why Wil Wheaton wasn't listed for season 3.

Overall just meh. I watched the finale because I've watched the rest of it but the season just got seriously lost after the first couple of episodes so it was pretty hard to care too much about the finale. Hopefully SNW is better.

I enjoyed it.

In the big picture the show seems to be about wrapping up loose ends for the character. Season 1 was about Data, season 2 was about Q. I would have liked more explanation on why Q was dying, but at the end of the day I liked the simple answer for why he was doing all of it....because he cared about Jean Luc.

Any speculation on the transwarp hub? I noticed unlike the Borg version this one was blue. I am wondering if that signifies something. Perhaps the Dominion, still barred by the prophets to use the Bajoran wormhole, used it as a frame of reference to make their own transwarp hub to take another crack at the Alpha Quadrant. The blue kind of matches what the DS9 wormhole looks like.

I have wondered if Picard may have went only 3 seasons because there will be something of a passing of the torch for a Captain Worf show, which Dorny has long talked about wanting to do. Bringing the Dominion into it would make more sense if they are leading into a Captain Worf show and thus all the DS9 characters.

To get back on the topic of Q....I am pretty sure DeLancy said he is going to be in s3. So who knows how that works with what we saw. Wondering if they aren't quite done with the Continuum and there will be some sort of struggle with the travelers since that was a pretty big string to just leave dangling out there.

oh I got issues and you are going to hear about them.

Every problem this season came out of the writer's room. The acting and directing were all fine, it was just all about what was one the page.

There might have been a decent 5 episode season here if they had made  few changes but dragging it out over 10 episodes was a huge mistake.

Characters not being internal consistent on this show is killing me and I don't mean being consistent with versions of themselves from 25 years ago I mean within these 10 episodes. Episode 3 "ok everyone we can't break the timeline, no butterflies" everyone goes out and seems to have as many time breaking adventures as possible over the next few episodes.

The biggest character problem I had this season was with 7, her one character throughline this year was the discrimination and hatred she experiences from being a former Borg and one of the only good things from last season was the show talking about how Borg drones aren't just canon fodder baddies they are victims, people that were transformed against their will into Borg. Then episode 9 rolls around and 7 is "just kill them all they are just Borg", like wtf.

Q died of what old age? They really needed to give us a bit more explanation on this one especially since Voyager spent several episodes revolving around the Q's immortality and the boredom associated with it. There was even one episode where a Q expressly wanted to die and Janeway had to serve as judge in the trial if this was an acceptable thing to happen. Then there was the Q civil war where several Qs killed each other so they can die but everything we have been shown till this season is that it takes a Q to kill a Q, just a throw away line from De Lancie Q like "that war had consequences we could have not have foreseen and did damage to the continuum that we are still unsure of what the final result will be" something at least to let us know why the most powerful/immortal beings in the Trek universe suddenly aren't.

Travelers/Guardians. I hate this concept so much, it removes all agency from everything if there is some grand plan out there that must be adhered to, who made this plan the Travelers?  If they were just playing time cops that would be fine, just going around making sure people don't actively change the timeline, no issue there but Wesley spells out there is a tapestry that must be made. Even the Q with all their power are all about free will and choice.

At least Stewart was better this year, he didn't feel as old and decrepit as he did in season 1.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, elbobo said:

Q died of what old age? They really needed to give us a bit more explanation on this one especially since Voyager spent several episodes revolving around the Q's immortality and the boredom associated with it. There was even one episode where a Q expressly wanted to die and Janeway had to serve as judge in the trial if this was an acceptable thing to happen. Then there was the Q civil war where several Qs killed each other so they can die but everything we have been shown till this season is that it takes a Q to kill a Q, just a throw away line from De Lancie Q like "that war had consequences we could have not have foreseen and did damage to the continuum that we are still unsure of what the final result will be" something at least to let us know why the most powerful/immortal beings in the Trek universe suddenly aren't.

Yeah, I would like more explanation on that.

But since you mention it, in the Continuum Civil War episode Q was wounded with a weapon that was said to be powerful enough to destroy stars. If you are looking for fan theories and head cannon you could do worse than assuming the wound had long term consequences.

Same with Picard dying from a genetic brain disease and his mother suffering from a mental disorder. I doubt they will ever connect those dots, but interesting to think about. I have also wondered if Picard mega-melding with Sarek when he had Bendii Syndrome could have aggravated Picard's own predilection for a degenerative brain disorder....

50 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, I would like more explanation on that.

But since you mention it, in the Continuum Civil War episode Q was wounded with a weapon that was said to be powerful enough to destroy stars. If you are looking for fan theories and head cannon you could do worse than assuming the wound had long term consequences.

Same with Picard dying from a genetic brain disease and his mother suffering from a mental disorder. I doubt they will ever connect those dots, but interesting to think about. I have also wondered if Picard mega-melding with Sarek when he had Bendii Syndrome could have aggravated Picard's own predilection for a degenerative brain disorder....

Guinan trying to summon a Q with her magic bottle and none of them showing up seems to indicate that all the Q are either dead or at least significantly depowered not just De Lancie Q

6 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Guinan trying to summon a Q with her magic bottle and none of them showing up seems to indicate that all the Q are either dead or at least significantly depowered not just De Lancie Q

That's true.

And like I said earlier in the thread that would line up with the line in Discovery that there had been no contact with the Continuum in 600 years.

Hope we get more details. Maybe the Continuum died out from a mixture of war wounds and some deciding to take Quinn's way out. The Continuum wasn't really portrayed as very healthy in most of Voyager. But that also kind of ignores the hopeful note we ended on with q being taught by Janeway(which I believe was the last ep of Voy we saw the Q in). So who knows.

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

That's true.

And like I said earlier in the thread that would line up with the line in Discovery that there had been no contact with the Continuum in 600 years.

Hope we get more details. Maybe the Continuum died out from a mixture of war wounds and some deciding to take Quinn's way out. The Continuum wasn't really portrayed as very healthy in most of Voyager. But that also kind of ignores the hopeful note we ended on with q being taught by Janeway(which I believe was the last ep of Voy we saw the Q in). So who knows.

I'm not sure how much more detail they could give us without ruining the Q. I was extremely worried that they were going to ruin Guinan/the El-Aurians by over-explaining why Q was so scared of Guinan in their first encounter back on TNG, which they mercifully avoided in PIC. The new details don't really tell us anything about why the Continuum would be so scared of them, just some light padding around the edges just reinforcing the general outline of what we already knew (that they're apparently equals on some or another level).

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not sure how much more detail they could give us without ruining the Q. I was extremely worried that they were going to ruin Guinan/the El-Aurians by over-explaining why Q was so scared of Guinan in their first encounter back on TNG, which they mercifully avoided in PIC. The new details don't really tell us anything about why the Continuum would be so scared of them, just some light padding around the edges just reinforcing the general outline of what we already knew (that they're apparently equals on some or another level).

This would seem to suggest that from the first moment that we see Guinan and Q interact in Q Who she knew he was going to die. You could see why that alone would make him wary around her. For a Q someone knowing you are mortal is kind of like them knowing your deepest, darkest secret.

Of course, that gets into the question of if Q himself knew how he was going to die at that point. But then you are diving into the long running problem of the Q's supposed omnipotence...but you can't really blame a TV show for being inconsistent on that one since most of the world's religions are still struggling with that one after a few thousand years :lol:

32 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

That's true.

600 years since last contact with the Q would put last contact about 200 years after the current events of Picard. Picard is set around the year 2400, Discovery season 4 is set in 3190, so that makes last contact in the late 2500s. So there are still some Q shenanigans to be had it would seem.

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

I cannot even remotely wrap my head around how Q/El-Aurian "cold war" works. One side you have a very long lived species with limited psychic powers/senses but can otherwise be killed as easily as a regular human and end up mostly getting wiped out by the Borg and on the otherside you have a species that can control seemingly all of space and time. I can see the El-Aurians being able to sense if the Q were messing with the timeline but what the hell are they going to do about it?

7 minutes ago, elbobo said:

600 years since contact with the Q would put last contact about 200 years after the current events of Picard. Picard is set around the year 2400, Discovery season 4 is set in 3190, so that makes last contact in the late 2500s. So there are still some Q shenanigans to be had it would seem.

Yeah, who knows. When it comes to that I don't know if I trust the showrunners to be razor clear on numbers. Seems like an interesting tidbit to throw in there if it doesn't connect to Q dying. Maybe it's just meant to show the Q are a dying, but not quite dead, race that lingers on for a little longer.

3 minutes ago, elbobo said:

I cannot even remotely wrap my head around how Q/El-Aurian "cold war" works. One side you have a very long lived species with limited psychic powers/senses but can otherwise be killed as easily as a regular human and end up mostly getting wiped out by the Borg and on the otherside you have a species that can control seemingly all of space and time. I can see the El-Aurians being able to sense if the Q were messing with the timeline but what the hell are they going to do about it?

Maybe the El-Auriens have been around so long that they were the enemies of the Q before they transcended to the type of God-like beings they are now and that gives them some sort of advantage of knowing a weak spot or something. Or the Contiuum is so concerned with "order" that they are willing to honor a treaty made before they had the ability to wipe out the El-Auriens.

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, who knows. When it comes to that I don't know if I trust the showrunners to be razor clear on numbers. Seems like an interesting tidbit to throw in there if it doesn't connect to Q dying. Maybe it's just meant to show the Q are a dying, but not quite dead, race that lingers on for a little longer.

Maybe the El-Auriens have been around so long that they were the enemies of the Q before they transcended to the type of God-like beings they are now and that gives them some sort of advantage of knowing a weak spot or something. Or the Contiuum is so concerned with "order" that they are willing to honor a treaty made before they had the ability to wipe out the El-Auriens.

On your first point, yeah an "immortal" species might take hundreds of years to die of what they would consider a quick disease or something similar.

Your second point is as good as any reason I have seen so far on the cold war. The Q say they have been around forever but you know they are full of shit on that one.

13 minutes ago, elbobo said:

On your first point, yeah an "immortal" species might take hundreds of years to die of what they would consider a quick disease or something similar.

Your second point is as good as any reason I have seen so far on the cold war. The Q say they have been around forever but you know they are full of shit on that one.

Yeah, we've seen so many powerful beings over the course of Trek that we almost have an evolutionary chart like the famous ape to man illustration of how a normal species would go from humanoid, to pure energy, to supernatural, to full godmode. I definitely think the Q followed that path, though earlier than any other species we've ever seen in Trek. They may have been the first advanced life after the Big Bang and just got a head start on the rest of us.