Are the pre-VII PC Final Fantasies decent versions?

Paperclyp

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I have not played it but I believe it is the same version the re-released on consoles with 3x speed and such. You could also mod it.

That being said it's also on game pass

I'm talking 1-6 tho. Sorry, that thread title is confusing. 

You mean 1 - 6?

They’re okay. III and IV got ported to the DS at some point and had 3D versions made, which is what Square sells now. I - III and V look like “enhanced” versions of the original games and didn’t get the polygonal treatment.

I can’t remember what the PSX versions brought to the table.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

You mean 1 - 6?

They’re okay. III and IV got ported to the DS at some point and had 3D versions made, which is what Square sells now. I - III and V look like “enhanced” versions of the original games and didn’t get the polygonal treatment.

I can’t remember what the PSX versions brought to the table.

I have the FF Anthology package and then the Chrono Cross + I think it's FFIV package (great combo), and then I think it's like FF Origins or something which is 1-2 and not sure if 3 is on there. I think they're straight ports. Love them but have to use my PS3 to play them, and I'm looking to stream some JRPGs to my phone laying in bed before I go to sleep. 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I have not but the first review on the steam page recommends that or another one and it looked pretty good from the screenshots.

I don't actually have 6 but have 3 and 4 :p

I think 4 is low key great? 

I kept holding out hope they would put 6 on Switch's SNES POS thing, but I just think there's too much money to be made from reselling it over and over to morons like myself. I have probably played 3/4 of the way through that game 5 times and then stall out on it for various reasons. I remember loving 4 but I haven't played it for like 20 years. I think I dabbled with the first two but don't know if I can hack it as I don't think they hold up super well. 4-6 though I'd kind of like to revisit. 

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

IV and VI are legitimately awesome. I think I is fine, II is good. III and V... I’ve never been able to get into them. The job systems in both just feel like a huge slog to me.

I made it about half way through III og with a translation before calling it quits.  NES FF just doesn't do it for me.

V is good though, I finished that one.  I was grossly under leveled, had to grind to beat the last boss.  It's so easy to cheese that game with Bloodswords and Mimic.

I haven't played the PC ports of I-VI. I don't see I or II on Steam but having played the originals and GBA versions I don't plan to replay them. I don't think III is bad, I played the original and the DS version but again don't plan to replay it. The reviews are positive and it seems to look better than the DS version so if you really want to play it the Steam version should be a good version to play. Be warned that if you want to fight the optional super boss, I spent more time grinding for that than to finish the game.

IV is really good and the reviews are positive but I already played the DS version. If I were to replay IV I'd probably go with the original or even GBA version. I'm rather annoyed that they didn't port the PSP version and even went so far as to create a new version of The After Years with DS style graphics instead of just porting the PSP version.

I really like V (even though I don't like how the job system mean extra grinding) and VI is the best. If you don't like the graphics try the mods.

Overall, besides having played 2 or more versions of I-VI, one of the main reasons I've avoided the PC versions is because they are based on the mobile versions (I got FF Dimensions on Android and lost my save after an update so I distrust SE mobile games). Another reason is that SE always seems to have issues with their ports but there tend to be fan fixes. Based on the current reviews for the games you should be able to enjoy III-VI on Steam, I'd probably take a chance it I hadn't played them multiple times already.

Here's the breakdown for the best technical version of each game:

Final Fantasy I + II: Final Fantasy Origins (PS1), Final Fantasy 1+2: Dawn of Souls (GBA), and Final Fantasy (PSP); my suggestion would be to emulate Final Fantasy Origins on PC with mods to improve textures and get rid of load times; if that's not an option for you I would emulate the PSP version, which has improved 2D HD sprites and additional dungeons. Don't bother with the Steam version, and emulating is easy enough.

Final Fantasy III: go with the PC version, which is the best version of the 3D remake originally released for the Nintendo DS. The original 2D game has never been localized for the US, the only way to get that one is to emulate it and find a fan translated ROM. It's up to you which way to go, but you're safe going with the PC Steam version for the 3D remake at least.

Final Fantasy IV: Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (PSP), Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA), Final Fantasy IV (PC - 3D remake). Like with III, FFIV has the original 2D version and a newer 3D remake - I'd recommend going with the best version of the 2D version by emulating the PSP version (The Complete Collection) on your PC. Barring that, the next best 2D version is the GBA version, which I suggest emulating if you don't go with the PSP version. For an entirely different experience, you can go with the 3D version, which you can get on PC easily enough. Don't bother with the 2D version on Steam as these options are better and again, emulating is easy enough.

Final Fantasy V: Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA). The GBA version is the best version of the game (the PC version has poorly integrated HD sprites) and can be emulated on PC easily enough. If you have to, you can go with the Steam version, as it still plays well, but the graphics are worse. I'd go with emulating the GBA version with mods, etc. 

Final Fantasy VI: Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA). This is the same story as with FFV. The GBA version is the best version, with a properly revised translation, etc. It can be emulated on your PC easily enough and you can get mods, etc. Like with FFV, you can go with the Steam version as it still plays well, but the Vaseline induced HD sprites really ruin the game graphically. I recommend the GBA version. 

Links to help you: 

the-best-version-of-every-final-fantasy-
WWW.USGAMER.NET

Some Final Fantasy games have remakes of their remakes. What's the definitive version of each single-player mainline installment? Let us help you.

best_way_play_final_fantasy_2020.jpg
PRIMAGAMES.COM

Square Enix's software library is a mess, so here's a guide on the best ways to play every Final Fantasy in 2020.

The Steam versions mostly miss with me with because of their mobile-port art.  I was really hoping for just the original 8/16bit sprite graphics.  Straight ports of the originals.  I know I can emulate them but still.  Nobody I know prefers the cartooney mobile version aesthetic over the originals.  I wanna know what research made Squeenix think it was a good idea.

1 hour ago, Slug said:

The Steam versions mostly miss with me with because of their mobile-port art.  I was really hoping for just the original 8/16bit sprite graphics.  Straight ports of the originals.  I know I can emulate them but still.  Nobody I know prefers the cartooney mobile version aesthetic over the originals.  I wanna know what research made Squeenix think it was a good idea.

The fact that it is a bad idea is what made SE think it was a good idea.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I thought this should be bumped given the announcement of the Pixel Remaster series. @dualhunter made a topic but seemed pertinent to put here too. 

header_ratio.jpg?t=1625074958
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Per @dualhunter:

There's a bundle with all 6 games [on Steam], but it looks like only the first 3 will be released at the end of July and the other 3 will come later.

They're based on the originals so they don't include the added content of the GBA versions or the PSP version of IV. The 3D versions of III and IV have been marked as 3D remakes on Steam to differentiate them from this new release and the current versions of V and VI have been marked as Old Ver. with a warning that they'll be removed the day before the new versions of I-III release.

In the battle screenshots of I and III which didn't have official character names (the 3D remake of III did but not the original) you can see the generic names they used (SQEX01-04 and SQEX3A-D). :lol:

I wonder if @Paperclyp ended up playing any of the older Final Fantasies?

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I thought this should be bumped given the announcement of the Pixel Remaster series. @dualhunter made a topic but seemed pertinent to put here too. 

header_ratio.jpg?t=1625074958
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Per @dualhunter:

And as I said in @XxEvil AshxX's thread about this, I think it just looks like a blockier version of the previous version they made, and they are forcing you to rebuy it. lulz.

It looks like blockier graphics than the PSP versions except for the text in the text boxes which look nicer in the new versions. FF III only had the 3D remake so as far as 2D versions of it go it's a big improvement over the Famicom version. Hopefully they didn't go back to no auto-targeting next enemy when the target enemy is defeated in FF I and II. The battle screen shots of FF I don't show MP so they may have gone back to the separate MP per spell level instead of the common pool from later versions. The price of III is a bit higher than I and II. The regular price of III is a bit higher than the old versions of V and VI so the new versions of IV-VI will probably be higher. So they'll charge more for less content.

@Greatoneshere I actually held off, so I’m pleased as punch they’re releasing these. I don’t mind the art style and never bought any of the shitty mobile versions, so I’m pretty excited. 

Not that anyone cares, but I do have the PS1 releases of most of these games, I just want them on a machine I can play more easily.