Star Wars Republic Commando benefits from pretty thick rose-colored glasses

XxEvil AshxX

It's a funny coincidence, because this game has been popping up in my news feeds a lot lately due to it getting a remaster on Switch and PS4. I've actually been playing the enhanced version on Xbox One X for a little while now, and the game is... just not that good. Which is interesting because whenever I hear someone talk about it, they really hype it up. It's gotten some pretty high praise, which is what convinced me to give it a try in the first place. As someone who didn't have a prior experience with it, I really don't understand the love. The game didn't age well, plain and simple. And this is coming from somebody who enjoys playing old games. The friendly A.I. is really pretty awful, and if you're not constantly telling them where to go and what to do, are horribly incapable of survival. They have no sense of self-preservation. Enemies are spongy as hell, and the game throws a lot of them at you at a time. The weapons are really unsatisfying (which to be fair, is a gripe with most Star Wars games for me). Pew-pew'ing with a laser gun just doesn't feel like you're doing anything, especially when it takes around ten shots to the face to take down a Trandoshan. 

So far this game has been a big ol' pile of 'meh,' but the final straw may have come last night when trying to protect a Wookiee general that really just didn't want to live. Getting attacked by a super fast robot that ran around him in circles beating him with his purple electric baton thingie while I futilely blasted away at it was not only frustrating but a perfect cap on my overall experience with the game so far.

Okay, I just really needed to get that out. End rant.

I played it 16 years ago and enjoyed it but haven't tried it since. On the one hand being able to revive your squad mates and occasionally even be revived by them helped make up for their tendency to get killed and sponginess of the enemies but on the other hand, killing a few enemies then running around to revive the squad then repeating as needed can get repetitive. I agree that babysitter missions are the worst, either make the NPCs be able to take care of themselves or make them invincible.

I think I could still enjoy the game despite its flaws but I don't plan on putting that to the test.

Hmmm I have a different take. I enjoyed the game a LOT when I played it back in the day and recently downloaded it and started playing the ehnaced version. Does it show its age? Yes. Is it still a fun game? Also yes. The Squadmates are still pretty useful because they WILL revive you and you should always take advantage of positioning them where the game suggest you should. They WILL man turrets and do other useful things to survive and kill enemies. I'm even playing on hard I think and while its challenging ( you can run out of ammo quite a bit) it's never frustrating.... at least for me. Again, I really enjoyed it back in the day so its possible I could be biased, but not onyl do I think the game is not overrated, I think it still holds up :shrug:

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think the game is not overrated, I think it still holds up

I don't think anyone here is saying it is overrated. The game has never been overrated, if anything it's been underrated and people remember it being a diamond in the rough kind of thing.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't think anyone here is saying it is overrated. The game has never been overrated, if anything it's been underrated and people remember it being a diamond in the rough kind of thing.

The title of the thread and the O.P.'s first post seemed to indicate to me that he thinks it's overrated. i mean what else does this mean?

16 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

whenever I hear someone talk about it, they really hype it up. It's gotten some pretty high praise, which is what convinced me to give it a try in the first place. As someone who didn't have a prior experience with it, I really don't understand the love.

He literally says the game benefits from "rose colored glasses"... I don't want to put words in your mouth @XxEvil AshxX but unless I'm misunderstanding you, you seem to think the game is overrated based on what you've played vs what you've heard about it, no? Of course I disagree :p but I wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding you.

5 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Can anyone actually name a console shooter pre-360/PS3 era that doesn’t feel clunky to play? I’d love to say Timesplitters 2, but my heart tells me it wouldn’t be as silky smooth as amazing as I remember.

I’m sure it feels smooth, but something about the auto-aim always bugged me in it.

5 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Can anyone actually name a console shooter pre-360/PS3 era that doesn’t feel clunky to play? I’d love to say Timesplitters 2, but my heart tells me it wouldn’t be as silky smooth as amazing as I remember.

Halo: CE is probably the best.

25 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Red Faction or Medal of Honor

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was that a sequel to this one?

Sure was!

latest?cb=20140219203815
STARWARS.FANDOM.COM

Star Wars: Imperial Commando is the canceled sequel to the 2005 video game Star Wars: Republic Commando. The sequel was already planned during development of Republic Commando, but it was canceled in 2004 with...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The title of the thread and the O.P.'s first post seemed to indicate to me that he thinks it's overrated. i mean what else does this mean?

He literally says the game benefits from "rose colored glasses"... I don't want to put words in your mouth @XxEvil AshxX but unless I'm misunderstanding you, you seem to think the game is overrated based on what you've played vs what you've heard about it, no? Of course I disagree :p but I wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding you.

I wouldn't call the game overrated, so much as maybe people remembering the game as being better than it was. I've been guilty of this in the past. It's not a bad game, but time hasn't been kind. It looks fine. Actually it looks pretty damn good considering... but gameplay-wise it's just.. .okay.

So I did learn one thing that was very likely affecting my enjoyment of the game for a while. I beat the game last night and it took me until the last third of the game to realize I was probably not approaching the game the way I was supposed to. I was using my squad a bit in fights. What I should have been doing was using my squad almost exclusively. As in, issuing commands and having them do 90% of the work while I just kinda held back and stayed safe. I'm not used to playing games like that. Even in other squad-based shooters like Rainbow Six Vegas. In RSV you could issue commands for entering a situation, but if you didn't, the squad A.I. could still be fairly affective. In Republic Commando, if you don't tell them what to do 100% of the time, they're pretty damn useless. I.e. the sniper won't snipe unless you say "hey stand over there and snipe".

That being said, while I think the experience would have been a little better had I been utilizing them more from the start, I still don't think it would have changed my opinion of the game in a significant way.

• Haha 1

@skillzdadirecta and myself are probably the biggest "nostalgic hype-men" for this game. Funny this topic came up, because I downloaded this probably 2-3 weeks ago and last night decided to give it a try on my XseX before I deleted it to free up space. Ended up playing it for about 3 hours, lol. 

Are there issues with it? Yeah, and they are much more glaring now than they were when it originally released, but when you play FPS games over the past 10 years and go back to this, hell yeah you'll see things you forgot about or just don't feel right. I didn't remember melee being so difficult and don't enjoy sniping nearly as much as I did originally. I remapped the controls and just started massacring shit and had a great time!

The game brought back some good memories and I had fun...then after beating the first planet, I deleted it. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a pretty great article about the game from the latest issue of Edge:

yoxogf3hVsXcoyvwcUuBG3-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Republic Commando landing on PS4 and Switch presents the perfect opportunity to discover a forgotten Star Wars gem