VRR on pc helps?

stepee

So I’m going to be getting a new tv in the next couple of weeks it seems and the main thing I want is vrr on pc. I have a 3080ti now.

Is that working with nvidia drivers okay now? I won’t be using a receiver if that helps makes this less complicated.

Is there anything I need to look out for regarding pc besides the refresh rate, hdmi 2.1, confirming it works with ps5/xsx?

I don’t like going crazy on tvs so I’m looking around $1200 as my max just because my normal max of $1000 doesn’t seem to get me anything I like.

Im looking at:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-p-series-quantum-series-led-4k-uhd-smartcast-tv/6416449.p?skuId=6416449

Like would I just be good to go? I also might pay $1300 for the PX instead but wanted to check on the one within my stated budget.

tyyy

8 minutes ago, legend said:

I don't know about the Vizio, but Gysnc with my 3080 and LG over HDMI 2.1 works! Even at 4K and >120 FPS (which the TV only displays at 120)

Nice to hear! So it just picks it up as a gsync display and that’s that? How are you liking vrr on pc btw? Does it seem to really eliminate the frame stutters?

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Nice to hear! So it just picks it up as a gsync display and that’s that? How are you liking vrr on pc btw? Does it seem to really eliminate the frame stutters?

Yep. There was a period where LG's firmware didn't work with it, but once that was fixed it was pretty easy to go into the Nvidia control panel and just enable it.

It's so much better than non VRR. I personally loathe microstutter and it goes a long way to reducing that without trying to find that perfect locked framerate balance or suffering hideous tearing.

Main thing to know: once you enable Gysnc from the control panel make sure you *disable* vsync in any games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, legend said:

Yep. There was a period where LG's firmware didn't work with it, but once that was fixed it was pretty easy to go into the Nvidia control panel and just enable it.

It's so much better than non VRR. I personally loathe microstutter and it goes a long way to reducing that without trying to find that perfect locked framerate balance or suffering hideous tearing.

Main thing to know: once you enable Gysnc from the control panel make sure you *disable* vsync in any games.

That is awesome, that’s exactly what I want/have wanted for a very long time. Being able to just have it be “mostly” 60fps or close to it and not have to tinker settings/test until you’ve seen that it’s pretty much always locked 60. I hate the microstutters, so if this mostly gets rid of them I’m going to be a happy camper soon.

And thanks for the tip, I guess that’s the point of the lock fps option in games so that you can still keep it 60fps max if you want to (don’t want to stress the gpu out constantly, getting wild variances).

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It works great! G-Sync on my LG C9 is silk. 

Im excited, I pretty much put Cyberpunk on hold until the new tv because it has these drops to like 56-58 fps and it drives me nuts because I can’t find a compromise I like where that doesn’t happen and it’s so close lol.

Also my tv now is like one of the first hdr tv’s before dolby vision even existed and I’m pretty sure whatever I get will be leaps above it especially in brightness. Also I think motion is going to be vastly improved in general.

But my old tv is now going in my room to replace a cheap 42” tcl 4k because the one thing I like about when it came out is it does 4k/hdr and also does 3D. I still like that tech so I’m glad I can pretty much just keep this until something crazy because I’ll need a really damn good reason for a better bedroom tv to give up 3D entirely.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im excited, I pretty much put Cyberpunk on hold until the new tv because it has these drops to like 56-58 fps and it drives me nuts because I can’t find a compromise I like where that doesn’t happen and it’s so close lol.

Also my tv now is like one of the first hdr tv’s before dolby vision even existed and I’m pretty sure whatever I get will be leaps above it especially in brightness. Also I think motion is going to be vastly improved in general.

But my old tv is now going in my room to replace a cheap 42” tcl 4k because the one thing I like about when it came out is it does 4k/hdr and also does 3D. I still like that tech so I’m glad I can pretty much just keep this until something crazy because I’ll need a really damn good reason for a better bedroom tv to give up 3D entirely.

About Cyberpunk... you will have to turn down some settings or go with 1440P to lock it at 60, even on a 3090. :(

18 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

About Cyberpunk... you will have to turn down some settings or go with 1440P to lock it at 60, even on a 3090. :(

Well it’s more I already have it mostly 60fps but there’s these drops or certain areas but they aren’t bad so if vrr is covering me in those 50’s moments then it should be pretty solid!

I use 1800p which I always find to be a good close enough to 4k looking but gives you a big fps boost compromise. I guess the question then is can I get 1800p working with hdr (which was a pain in itself) and vrr!

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well it’s more I already have it mostly 60fps but there’s these drops or certain areas but they aren’t bad so if vrr is covering me in those 50’s moments then it should be pretty solid!

I use 1800p which I always find to be a good close enough to 4k looking but gives you a big fps boost compromise. I guess the question then is can I get 1800p working with hdr (which was a pain in itself) and vrr!

Oh yes, with the parameters u’ve payed out there you should have a very solid experience! 

• Like 1

If you live anywhere close to me (northern Indiana) you should come buy my TV, really could use the cash now and doubt you could find a better deal (65 inch LG OLED HDMI 2.1 for $1,000).

Edit: but fyi I can't help you load it into your vehicle since I can't use my right leg so you would have to bring a helper.

7 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

If you live anywhere close to me (northern Indiana) you should come buy my TV, really could use the cash now and doubt you could find a better deal (65 inch LG OLED HDMI 2.1 for $1,000).

Edit: but fyi I can't help you load it into your vehicle since I can't use my right leg so you would have to bring a helper.

Unfortunately I live in the san francisco area so that would be quite a hike! Man, have you tried craigslist? That is a hell of a deal it’s hRd to imagine someone wouldn’t snap it right up.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong about the regular Quantum, it does support VRR. Though it seems like it has issues with Nvidia? I'd check out the review and do some more research.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum-2020

Only the Quantum X has VRR, not the one you've linked to. Also keep in mind it only support FreeSync, not Gsync. I think only LG TVs have Gysnc support. However, I still think you can use it with your card, but apparently the VRR capabilities are limited.

The Quantum X 65" is the TV I was waiting all of 2020 for, but decided to hold off as it still felt half baked in terms of HDMI 2.1 support. I'm waiting for some 2021 models to come out before I pick up a new TV.

Here's the RT review to read about VRR.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum-x-2020

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Edit: Looks like I was wrong about the regular Quantum, it does support VRR. Though it seems like it has issues with Nvidia? I'd check out the review and do some more research.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum-2020

Only the Quantum X has VRR, not the one you've linked to. Also keep in mind it only support FreeSync, not Gsync. I think only LG TVs have Gysnc support. However, I still think you can use it with your card, but apparently the VRR capabilities are limited.

The Quantum X 65" is the TV I was waiting all of 2020 for, but decided to hold off as it still felt half baked in terms of HDMI 2.1 support. I'm waiting for some 2021 models to come out before I pick up a new TV.

Here's the RT review to read about VRR.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum-x-2020

Thank you! That is really useful info. I didn’t realize that about only LG’s having real gsync.  I’ll have to read more into it for sure. I wonder if some of the hdmi 2.1 fixes will eventually be patched in. I know technically I should wait since new tvs should be soon I imagine, but I also figure they will be a bit out of the range I want to spend on a tv when they come out so idk how long I feel like waiting.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Thank you! That is really useful info. I didn’t realize that about only LG’s having real gsync.  I’ll have to read more into it for sure. I wonder if some of the hdmi 2.1 fixes will eventually be patched in. I know technically I should wait since new tvs should be soon I imagine, but I also figure they will be a bit out of the range I want to spend on a tv when they come out so idk how long I feel like waiting.

I think some of last year's Samsungs have Gsync too. Tbh, I don't really understand much about either formats. I know Gsync only works with Nvidia cards, and FreeSync is supposed to be an open standard that AMD uses, but should work with Nvidia cards? I dunno.

But I'm desperate for a new TV. I've had a Samsung LED for over 7 years now, and I need to jump on the 4k train. But I know if I'm patient it will be worth it in the end investing in a good mid-range TV from this year.

I also need a new receiver badly, but that's another mess as VRR support is even worse. I think almost all of the receivers released last year have a hardware fault that severely limits VRR.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Unfortunately I live in the san francisco area so that would be quite a hike! Man, have you tried craigslist? That is a hell of a deal it’s hRd to imagine someone wouldn’t snap it right up.

I haven't tried Craigslist yet I don't want to sell it that cheap to just anybody was hoping to find a taker amongst the people I know before going to some rando.

8 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

I also need a new receiver badly, but that's another mess as VRR support is even worse. I think almost all of the receivers released last year have a hardware fault that severely limits VRR.

TVs that support VRR should have EARC built in so you can skip running it through a receiver .

26 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

TVs that support VRR should have EARC built in so you can skip running it through a receiver .

Yes, but you won’t be able to see the overlay/UI when trying to adjust things on the receiver (or even volume), which could be frustrating for some. At this point, I’d just wait 6-8 weeks for the 2021 receivers that hopefully fix the issue. If you already have a 2020 receiver, yes, just do the workaround via eARC. :sun: 

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, but you won’t be able to see the overlay/UI when trying to adjust things on the receiver (or even volume), which could be frustrating for some. At this point, I’d just wait 6-8 weeks for the 2021 receivers that hopefully fix the issue. :sun: 

If you need a UI to adjust the volume well......

:p

49 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

My receiver doesn’t have eARC support, or even ARC. And my setup would be a pain re-routing to the TV instead of the receiver.

I think I can wait though. My only problem is my receiver’s hdmi out is busted and I hope the whole unit can last a little longer. 

6 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

My receiver doesn’t have eARC support, or even ARC. And my setup would be a pain re-routing to the TV instead of the receiver.

I think I can wait though. My only problem is my receiver’s hdmi out is busted and I hope the whole unit can last a little longer. 

If you can hold off it’s for the best but that doesn’t mean @Spork3245is right!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

If you can hold off it’s for the best but that doesn’t mean @Spork3245is right!

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, but you won’t be able to see the overlay/UI when trying to adjust things on the receiver (or even volume), which could be frustrating for some. At this point, I’d just wait 6-8 weeks for the 2021 receivers that hopefully fix the issue. If you already have a 2020 receiver, yes, just do the workaround via eARC. :sun: 

Oh, fuck, I guess that means I am right? :o :p 

• Shocked 1

I plan on buying a 77" LG CX in the very near future. Been saving for sometime, just waiting for them to come down just a little bit more. We have the money, but I was a second 65" in my game room too. Problem though then is I have a 65" Samsung Qled Q8fn {currently gaming on this one} and a NU8000 Samsung 65" all needing a new home or space to store them. I guess the q8fn could go in the guest room, but that seems like overkill. Never been in a bind quite like having 2 4k 65" near brand new TV that I don't want or need. That damned fire F&CK#D me in so many ways . .. . lol Really hoping that both TV's will come down to around 5k total. The 77" is hovering now at around $3300 and the 65" $2700'ish! They just haven't dropped in price very much. I'm so excited to build a new theater room around the LG 77" CX I can taste it. They have to drop another 10-15% when the new TV's, the LG C1's hit!

Yo so the Vizio PQ65 went down to the price I was happy with and yeah vrr makes stutters pretty much go bye bye it seems.

Still have a lot of work figuring some stuff out and I haven’t calibrated it at all which I hear you need to with these but fuck I got rock hard seeing that “gsync activated” on the screen in Cyberpunk. Looks like I just set it to 4k now instead of missing with 1800p and vrr takes care of it for me.  

I got 120hz working on pc as well but the one hdmi 2.1 thing it’s missing still is 120hz vrr, it bugs out. But this is known and Vizio says a patch is coming soon.

Also this thing is so fucking bright and great at not showing reflections and a bunch of other cool things I haven’t had time to play much with but yeah this fucking rules. 

Less than $1000 to jump on this train with a great all around 65” tv! I thought I’d have to wait a lot longer for this.

Sorry, I’m excited and staring at the damn thing all day while working.

So for anyone else new to this whole vrr/gsync on tv thing I highly recommend downloading the nvidia Pendulum demo here: 

WWW.NVIDIA.COM

Download free demos and experience how NVIDIA GeForce technology improves graphics and your games.

This will helps you confirm that it is indeed working as it’s supposed to in different modes and help troubleshoot.

Anyway part of it is because I was being really ocd about the whole thing and being able to see it demonstrated to me to understand how it works and what it looks like in borderless vs full screen etc.

I set it to the range of my tv (48-60 until the firmware update for 60-120) using the option for min max fps and it still wasn’t right. I noticed it’s because the exact frame times weren’t exact and it was dipping a ms below 48fps . I set it to 49-59 fps (which covered the 48-60 range) and it became really clear when I then changed the range to something like 47-59 fps and the image would destabilize.

Really nice easy way to understand it better so you aren’t wondering if it’s really working right or not when you get a random screen tear or what have you. 

Also I’ve heard different things about how to handle vsync settings. I’m pretty sure having it set to forced on in nvidia control panel as I see a lot is wrong. I just keep it at let the application decide, turn it off in game, and cap to 60 in rivatuner.

I also set it to allow windowed and full screen apps. The negative seems to be vrr activating under non gaming apps and making things weird. For gaming purposes you can leave it selected and just toggle vrr off on your tv or whatever you wanna do if you have to.

Also in gsync settings check the “enable settings for the selected display model” even if it says “selected display model is not validated as gsync compatible”, it doesn’t matter. It’s probably just if they paid for branding or whatever, I’m assuming it doesn’t show on lg ol ed’s.

Another thing is when you are on the gsync tab you can click display at the top and then “gsync compatible indicator” to display “gsync activated” on screen when it’s being used. Helpful to check if it’s working.

Just some stuff I ran across when making sure I have good settings and stuff. Couldn’t find a helpful guide so maybe someone will stumble upon this or smtn.

10 hours ago, stepee said:

Also I’ve heard different things about how to handle vsync settings. I’m pretty sure having it set to forced on in nvidia control panel as I see a lot is wrong. I just keep it at let the application decide, turn it off in game, and cap to 60 in rivatuner.

I also set it to allow windowed and full screen apps. The negative seems to be vrr activating under non gaming apps and making things weird. For gaming purposes you can leave it selected and just toggle vrr off on your tv or whatever you wanna do if you have to.

Also in gsync settings check the “enable settings for the selected display model” even if it says “selected display model is not validated as gsync compatible”, it doesn’t matter. It’s probably just if they paid for branding or whatever, I’m assuming it doesn’t show on lg ol ed’s.

Another thing is when you are on the gsync tab you can click display at the top and then “gsync compatible indicator” to display “gsync activated” on screen when it’s being used. Helpful to check if it’s working.

Just some stuff I ran across when making sure I have good settings and stuff. Couldn’t find a helpful guide so maybe someone will stumble upon this or smtn.

Gsync is recommended to be used with VSync on. If your framerate is not exceeding your monitor’s refresh rate, it doesn’t matter as much, though.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Gsync is recommended to be used with VSync on. If your framerate is not exceeding your monitor’s refresh rate, it doesn’t matter as much, though.

Yeah I was reading from some research sites last night and it seems like that is really recommended, I kinda get it, but idk if it looks right to me for some reason. I’ll mess with it some more, maybe it depends on the game.

I've had some games I wouldn't turn V-Sync on and the VRR would work.

But I played RE2 and it didn't look good with it off in game and G-Sync on - Though I believe you can just turn Vsync on in NVIDIA control panel and not in game and it works.

Also supposedly you put a max frame rate in NVIDIA control panel 1 or 2 frames less than the max you want to run and it kicks in (Limit frame rate to 59/58 if you want it running at 60 for example)