Tales of Arise - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Bacon

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There are two other threads, one of which is yours, so everyone else is too lazy to make an OT as well. :p

Eh, who needs a OT for everything

Are there really only 2 playable characters in this game? That's kind of a bummer. Also, have we seen actual gameplay yet? It kind of seems like they're borrowing from Ys games (even going so far as to borrow "Dana") in terms of art style and exploration. Not that I'd complain about that - Ys Seven, Memories of Celceta, and Ys VIII areprobably my favorite JRPGs from the last decade. The more people borrow from them, the better.

6 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Are there really only 2 playable characters in this game?

No one knows. Tho, you are the only person I have seen who has asked this. Seems like everyone is assuming there were be multiple characters like usual. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

No one knows. Tho, you are the only person I have seen who has asked this. Seems like everyone is assuming there were be multiple characters like usual. 

I just don't remember seeing anything (not that we've seen much anyway) from this game other than those 2 characters. I'm starting to feel like that's all we get.

If that's the case... let's just say you don't play Tales games for the fucking plot. It's pretty much always garbage. The characters and like random skits about mabo curry and other random anime bullshit bring it to life. If you tell me the new game has only 2 characters, that makes me incredibly skeptical.

11 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I just don't remember seeing anything (not that we've seen much anyway) from this game other than those 2 characters.

Yeah, there hasn't been jack shown about this game. Prolly why most people still assume the game will still have a normal cast of characters. Feels like we have only seen the first 30 minutes of the games since the game was announced. Like, just can't see this game only having the two characters. I'm not even worried. 

Edit:

Well, I am worried about it just being bad overall. Haven't really liked a Tales of game since Graces F. Didn't like Xillia, and Xillia 2, despite me never playing it, made me dislike the first game even more due to the plot of the two games, and I have had no interest in the characters and stories of the other games that came out after Xillia. 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

People who want to discuss the game eventually.

I don't really care though as like I said in the other thread, I own a bunch of these and have never played them.

OH, I have played basically every Tales game. I used to think they were trash back when JRPGs were still things that got released all the time. Now that they're one of the juggernaut franchises (along with Ys and Trails), I've grown to love them, to the point where I've played a couple of them multiple times.

The story generally sucks. It's animu bullshit for the most part. AHHH, MY BEST FRIEND TURNED OUT TO BE THE ENEMY, THERE WAS A SECRET BAD GUY AMONGST THE GROUP THE WHOLE TIME, WHY DID YOU NOT MENTION YOU KNEW THE BAD GUY THE WHOLE TIME WE COULD HAVE SKIPPED EVERYTHING, ALSO WHERE'S THE HOT SPRING" etc

But they pretty much universally have very engaging combat systems and let you be as involved as you want to be. You can literally turn it on autopilot if you want to, but I don't recommend it.

My personal favorite is Tales of Vesperia, but the ones with the most fun combat/progression systems are Tales of Xillia 1/2. Those games were a fucking blast, and I hope the PS3 Tales games (Graces F, Xillia, and Xillia 2) get ported to PC some day.

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, there hasn't been jack shown about this game. Prolly why most people still assume the game will still have a normal cast of characters. Feels like we have only seen the first 30 minutes of the games since the game was announced. Like, just can't see this game only having the two characters. I'm not even worried. 

If I remember right, the media for Vesperia pretty much only showed Yuri, Flynn (who isn't even a playable character for the most part), and Carol. So it is possible that there's just a lot they aren't showing us.

We'll probably know more when they inevitably release the opening anime intro.

I think the Xillia games have the most rewarding combat system. Berseria has my favorite characters. Vesperia has like the best marriage of the two. But ranking story in a Tales game is like ranking the best plot of a soap opera - it's all trash. sometimes I just like trash

Best Tales games that I've played

1. Vesperia
  2. Xillia
  3. Berseria
  4. Abyss
  5. Graces
  6. Xillia 2
  7. Zestiria
  8. Symphonia (most peoples' favorite, but I'm convinced it's only for nostalgia. I didn't play it until like 2015. The combat is garbage)
  9. Eternia (Destiny 2 in NA)
  10. Legendia

I have only played a handful. Vesperia is the second I have played and the first I have beat. 

1. Vesperia

2. Graces F

3. Abyss

4. Xillia

5. Hearts R (never beat due to being to annoyed they changed the MC's name to Kor but the only audio option is JP where the name is Shing or whatever)

6. Symphonia (never beat. Tried twice but it feels really dated and way harder than all the others)

14 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I have only played a handful. Vesperia is the second I have played and the first I have beat. 

1. Vesperia

2. Graces F

3. Abyss

4. Xillia

5. Hearts R (never beat due to being to annoyed they changed the MC's name to Kor but the only audio option is JP where the name is Shing or whatever)

6. Symphonia (never beat. Tried twice but it feels really dated and way harder than all the others)

The AI of your party members in Symphonia is awful. They'll spam healing when it's not necessary and drain their AP, they'll act horrible in terms of chaining attacks, etc. It can make the battles feel extremely frustrating. It's the only one that I played on easy mode. Also, the story is just patently stupid, and that's saying something for a Tales game. Without a good battle system, you're left with essentially a half-baked anime. People love it for some reason.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally getting around to playing this demo. I like it a lot! The combat seems like a quantum leap forward (in my opinion) from previous Tales combat... which I've never really liked all that much to be honest. It's just full-on proper combat in fully 3D arena, no weird locking to a pseudo-2D plane and having to hold a button to run normally or any of that stuff. Although there's still the semi-automatic and such for people who prefer to play that way, I vastly prefer manual control. Being able to miss is what makes landing hits satisfying to me, after all.

Abilities feel good to use, and aren't awkward like they used to be, where it wasn't until late game until things started to come together enough to feel like you were actually stringing together real combos, and even then they were generally still pretty stilted and stiff.

I'm hoping the PC version will look a little clearer. The PS5 demo has a bunch of bloom and blur and other effects that don't really let me enjoy the pretty nice looking environments. UI is clean and easy to read with a good font choice (which is important in a game where you spend so much time dealing with the UI) and the characters don't look half bad.

Only been playing for about 15 minutes, so that's about all I've got so far. Will definitely be playing on Steam as soon as it launches. I guess my main complaint so far is that the main characters looks and sounds like a proper adult man, but still talks like a JRPG teen boy. Hopefully that's just an early-game thing.

Guess I'll take this time to finally finish up Vesperia and maybe even Berseria. I just wrapped up Bravely Default and Bravely Second, which I both enjoyed far, far more than I did originally, and tried to start Bravely Default 2... but it feels like it's made by a team of amateurs compared to the previous two games. Bravely Second directly fixed a lot of my complaints from the first game and added a bunch of cool QoL shit. Bravely Default 2 is a blurry mess that runs like ass and changed fundamental core functions of the series, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet. Will keep at it, but until then, time for some Tales.

• 2 weeks later...