Epic Games acquires Tonic Games Group (parent company of Fall Guys developer)

12 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Why? Seems like the Among Us devs would be a better purchase. Fall Guys feels like a fad that blew by in a couple weeks.

You'd be wrong, the game still has a huge player base. People love it. 

I had some fun with it, but it's not something I'd play a lot of.

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

You'd be wrong, the game still has a huge player base. People love it. 

I had some fun with it, but it's not something I'd play a lot of.

Do you have a source for this "huge" player base? Because Steam Charts shows something like a 90% drop in players since launch. It still has a decent amount of players, but hardly "huge." Yes it was given away on PSN, but I imagine that only makes the drop off even more steep on that platform, since in my experience, people who pay for a game are far more likely to play it more to get their money's worth. 

It seems very likely to me that Epic is aware of this massive drop off of players, hence them teasing it going free to play. 

The game for me was fine, but its shallow nature and borderline random at times controls really sap the fun out of it. Even my 6 year old daughter went from being obsessed about it to bored in a few days. Unlike Phasmophobia, where she continues to enjoy hunting evil ghosts with her aunts weeks upon weeks later. 

I'm sure they'll have no trouble getting more people into Fall Guys, but it seems like a really late an bizarre choice when looking at the "fad game" market. 

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Do you have a source for this "huge" player base? Because Steam Charts shows something like a 90% drop in players since launch. It still has a decent amount of players, but hardly "huge." Yes it was given away on PSN, but I imagine that only makes the drop off even more steep on that platform, since in my experience, people who pay for a game are far more likely to play it more to get their money's worth. 

It seems very likely to me that Epic is aware of this massive drop off of players, hence them teasing it going free to play. 

The game for me was fine, but its shallow nature and borderline random at times controls really sap the fun out of it. Even my 6 year old daughter went from being obsessed about it to bored in a few days. Unlike Phasmophobia, where she continues to enjoy hunting evil ghosts with her aunts weeks upon weeks later. 

I'm sure they'll have no trouble getting more people into Fall Guys, but it seems like a really late an bizarre choice when looking at the "fad game" market. 

Going F2P will likely help bring the player base back up a bit. Now is likely the best time to buy the devs. Early enough that everyone still knows them, but late enough that the initial rush has died down and they aren't as pricy. It's not like Rocket League was really blowing things up when they were bought. They topped out at just over 119k concurrent players. Going F2P for them bumped that up to over 1m.

Rocket_League.jpeg
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Psyonix reaches a new milestone as its competitive driving/football hybrid goes free-to-play

I can easily see the same thing happen for Fall Guys. I never bothered because the game send silly and too random for $20. Free, though? Yeah, I'll try that out on my Switch to give my kids s good laugh.