Edgar Wright to direct a new Stephen King movie

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/edgar-wright-direct-version-stephen-214011057.html 

The Baby Driver filmmaker is on board to develop and direct a new adaptation of Stephen King's science-fiction novel The Running Man for Paramount Pictures, EW has confirmed.

King's book, which he wrote under the pen name Richard Bachman, concerns a game show in which contestants are pursued by killers. The novel was previously adapted into a 1987 film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The story for the new Running Man will be co-written by Wright and Michael Bacall, with whom Wright previously collaborated on the 2010 film Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Bacall will pen the script.

• Remarkableriots changed the title to Edgar Wright to direct a new Stephen King movie
57 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah but it's what people will think of before the book.

But I wonder how many book readers were upset at the movie at the time. :thinking:

It's what many may think of, but perhaps not as many as you think. We're talking about a 30 year old movie. At this point this is an entire generation or two who likely never even heard of it. Plus, it seems every freaking King money is being redone these days. 

3 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

It's what many may think of, but perhaps not as many as you think. We're talking about a 30 year old movie. At this point this is an entire generation or two who likely never even heard of it. Plus, it seems every freaking King money is being redone these days. 

Christine Reboot?

• Thanks 1

Efron will play the girl's father, Andy McGee, and given the fact that he turns 33 next month and Drew Barrymore was only eight years old when she filmed the original Firestarter, there's no question he could conceivably play the parent of a young child. In fact, Efron just signed on to star in a Three Men and a Baby remake for Disney+.

neighbors-zac-efron-slice.jpg
COLLIDER.COM

Zac Efron is set to star in the Firestarter remake from Blumhouse and Universal, which is based on the book by Stephen King.

15 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Doesn't matter how good it is the shadow of the Arnold movie will loom large. Like when they did Total Recall.

I think Total Recall is more loved than Running Man. Even in the context of Arnold’s 80s run, I never hear anyone say “You know what I really like? The Running Man.”

With any remake, there will always be comparisons, and people will ask “did they need to do this again?” I think since the book and movie are pretty different, an adaptation that is closer to the book would be well received. And Edgar Wright seems like a savvy enough filmmaker that he wouldn’t sign on this project without accounting for all of this.