How do you season your turkey?

Brick

OK maybe a little late with this since Christmas was a month ago (and American Thanksgiving a month before that), but I was reminded of it since I always see Black people making fun of White people for not knowing how to season their food, especially their holiday turkeys which turn out dry and bland. Both my brother and sister don't like turkey, and it got me thinking that maybe it's how my mom seasons it at Christmas. 

So now I'm wondering if you guys know any good ways to season your turkeys so I can try it out next year. 

Feel free to also leave other good seasoning suggestions for us tasteless White people :p

Tablespoon of the following

Garlic Powder

Salt

Paprika

Black Pepper

Thyme

Mix into a bowl with 2 cups of butter, not margarine but unsalted butter. Save about 1/4 of this for later. Use your hands to push the butter under the skin, get in everywhere. Once that is done take the left over butter mix and coat the outside, rub that bird down. I like to do a once over with more pepper and paprika. 

I do not stuff and I do not spatchcock . Juices at the bottom become gravy.

I cook it in covered oven roaster pan, mine is about 40 years old. Not only does it cook faster but the skin get super crispy dark brown.

5 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Tablespoon of the following

Garlic Powder

Salt

Paprika

Black Pepper

Thyme

Mix into a bowl with 2 cups of butter, not margarine but unsalted butter. Save about 1/4 of this for later. Use your hands to push the butter under the skin, get in everywhere. Once that is done take the left over butter mix and coat the outside, rub that bird down. I like to do a once over with more pepper and paprika. 

I do not stuff and I do not spatchcock . Juices at the bottom become gravy.

I cook it in covered oven roaster pan, mine is about 40 years old. Not only does it cook faster but the skin get super crispy dark brown.

This sounds perfect.

@Brick Make sure you spatchcock and dry brine the turkey for 24 hours first, then follow the above instructions. Just omit the salt of course.

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Dry brining is salting the turkey generously and letting it rest uncovered in the fridge for a set amount of time.

I remember seeing a video in cooking class back in high school where the guy covered the entire turkey with salt, like completely covered in a coat of salt. We were all like, "OMG eww that will be too salty", then I guess cooked it, and then cracked open the salt shell and took it off. Us students, "oooohhhh". 

• Haha 1

I pack my turkey in salt, after it has thawed, for about 24 hours before I cook it. Then I use gloves and work to break  the connective tissue of the skin so I can get my hands directly on the turkey breast beneath the skin and I rub a mixture of garlic and butter with orange zest into it, then bake. It comes out juicy and tasty!