Crunchyroll drops free streaming for new episodes...

Ghost_MH

Looks like AT&T is unloading some of its properties. Next on the chopping block is Crunchyroll which they've just sold to Sony for a little more than $1b...

crunchyroll.png?w=1024
VARIETY.COM

AT&T agreed to sell its Crunchyroll anime business to Sony's Funimation group for $1.175 billion in cash.

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Maybe the app will get better? 

If I remember how things went correctly, the app was trash and then development was kind of canned when they tried to push everyone over to VRV. However, VRV was even worse trash and everyone bailed when Funimation and CuriosityStream pulled out of the deal.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

If I remember how things went correctly, the app was trash and then development was kind of canned when they tried to push everyone over to VRV. However, VRV was even worse trash and everyone bailed when Funimation and CuriosityStream pulled out of the deal.

VRV made a big splash because Crunchy and Funi were both on it. I held on even after Funi left because when HIDIVE replaced it, they still had some exclusives worth holding on to. VRV will undoubtedly shut down when Crunchy leaves. 

14 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

VRV made a big splash because Crunchy and Funi were both on it. I held on even after Funi left because when HIDIVE replaced it, they still had some exclusives worth holding on to. VRV will undoubtedly shut down when Crunchy leaves. 

VRV is an AT&T thing, so yeah, it'll shut down. It was a phenomenal deal when Funimation was on the service. I dropped it as soon as CuriosityStream and Funimation left. The app is awful and I was only using it for Crunchyroll by that point.

• Ghost_MH changed the title to Sony/Funimation has acquired Crunchyroll...
  • 3 months later...

Sounds like this will wind up going through a few hurdles while Sony explains how Netflix and Amazon are their chief anime competitors.

titan.0.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Anime is yet another place where streaming services are competing

Nobody else is airing anime simulcasts outside of Funimation and Crunchyroll, so that's not great. That only changes if Netflix decides to offer some anime simulcasts the way they've opened up to the idea with a few other foreign dramas.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:56 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

They want the anime despite wanting to tone down lewdness on their own console. Makes sense!

Sony's different business divisions have basically nothing to do with each other, other than that one time the music division forced the electronics division to cripple MiniDisc over piracy prevention bullshit. Hence why their phones don't really have amazing cameras like you'd think given their camera division.

13 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Sounds like this will wind up going through a few hurdles while Sony explains how Netflix and Amazon are their chief anime competitors.

titan.0.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Anime is yet another place where streaming services are competing

Nobody else is airing anime simulcasts outside of Funimation and Crunchyroll, so that's not great. That only changes if Netflix decides to offer some anime simulcasts the way they've opened up to the idea with a few other foreign dramas.

hulu has some simulcast anime. 

• 11 months later...
50 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I understand why they went this way, but it's still annoying since the Funimation app is better for actually consuming content. The Crunchyroll app has better social features built in and that probably lead to this decision, but the Funimation app, especially the Android TV version of the app, is so much better. Also, I hate the way Crunchyroll still doesn't have a good way of organizing dubs. Listing My Hero Academia as two different series, one of which having 24 seasons, because of all the different dubs is ridiculous.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Ghost_MH changed the title to Crunchyroll drops free streaming for new episodes...
37 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They didn't spend 1 billion dollars so people could watch it for free!

This is the least surprising news ever.

I expect the next bit of news to be that they're introducing a new ad-supported tier for like $5/mo while also dropping their $8/mo tier forcing folks that want an ad free experience into their $10/mo tier.

• True 1

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Outside of their free trials I have never used Crunchy Roll. Don't know how it is these days, but I streamed hundreds of anime from a never ending list of anime streaming sites with never and issue and plenty of mirrors. 

It's easily the best anime library on the planet. That is, if you're looking for TV series. Their movie section is basically non-existent. You'd be better if with Amazon Prime and Netflix for anime movies.

The service is great and I can't complain about the price for what you get, especially when it's combined with Funimation's simuldub series. You get stuff like My Hero Academia dubbed one week after release in Japan and subtitled episodes popping up simultaneously as the Japanese release. I have a hard time trying to wrap my head around the logistics there. I just wish they treated subtitles and dubs like sane people. Separating them into different series or seasons rather than different language tracks is crazy to me.

I will say that I really do appreciate Crunchyroll tapping into the Korean manwha market for original series like Noblesse, Tower of God, and God of Highschool. That market has been ignored for too long. I'd gladly give up someone else's arms and legs for animated adaptations of like Yongbi the Invincible/Gosu, Peerless Dad, or Legend of the Northern Blade.

When I said "I don't know how it is these days" I meant for 3rd party streaming sites. And while CR has loads of popular shit, there was plenty of stuff they were not subbing. When I wanted to watch Naruto and Bleach, I abused CR's Free Trials cuz it was the best option. Like, I'm pretty sure shit like Highschool DxD was not on CR at the time of its release. A lot of the anime I have watched has been the less popular "trash" anime. And older stuff like Hajime no Ippo wasn't on the site either. 

21 minutes ago, Bacon said:

When I said "I don't know how it is these days" I meant for 3rd party streaming sites. And while CR has loads of popular shit, there was plenty of stuff they were not subbing. When I wanted to watch Naruto and Bleach, I abused CR's Free Trials cuz it was the best option. Like, I'm pretty sure shit like Highschool DxD was not on CR at the time of its release. A lot of the anime I have watched has been the less popular "trash" anime. And older stuff like Hajime no Ippo wasn't on the site either. 

Ah, yeah for other streamers, there are a bunch, but I think the bigger one right now is Hidive that popped up to replace Crunchyroll when they left VRV...but then left VRV and was again replaced with Crunchyroll. All the major and most lesser known stuff is covered between Netflix, Amazon, and Crunchyroll.

There is plenty of trash anime on Crunchyroll. Once Crunchyroll licensed Dogeza there was no hiding the fact that they were ok with hosting trash.

I have no clue what any of those sites are/were. Like, I'm talking about back alley websites. Shit like animefreak, animeultima, or kissanime. There was a million of them. Not saying that crunchy roll doesn't have all that trash now, but it didn't when I watched anime. Couldn't tell you the size of their library now as I know they have acquired many shows. Like, I remember when CR obtained Hajime no Ippo. I even watched the newest season of it on CR cuz that shit was 1080p. But, back in like 2011-215 those other websites had a far larger library. Like, they had shit that was only fansubbed and never got a US release. Like, if it was an anime that existed, those sites had it except for very rare instances. And man, the fan subs for one piece were fucking amazing. Holy shit man, the animated subs were fucking killer and enhanced the experience. When the fan subs stopped and the Funimation rips became the norm I stopped watching. 

I do see now that some older anime has been picked up and spread around. Heroic Age is on Hulu. Amagami SS is on that Hidive site. Don't see Kiss x Sis or Hand Maid May anywhere lol. But yeah, random stuff like that is why I stuck to unofficial streaming sites. In the past like 5 years I have only watched 2 anime shows and that was on one of the sites I listed above.

Anyway, my original post was me saying if you don't want to pay CR then... :pirate_2: 

course that doesn't mean shit if you don't watch from your pc like I do 

26 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I have no clue what any of those sites are/were. Like, I'm talking about back alley websites. Shit like animefreak, animeultima, or kissanime. There was a million of them. Not saying that crunchy roll doesn't have all that trash now, but it didn't when I watched anime. Couldn't tell you the size of their library now as I know they have acquired many shows. Like, I remember when CR obtained Hajime no Ippo. I even watched the newest season of it on CR cuz that shit was 1080p. But, back in like 2011-215 those other websites had a far larger library. Like, they had shit that was only fansubbed and never got a US release. Like, if it was an anime that existed, those sites had it except for very rare instances. And man, the fan subs for one piece were fucking amazing. Holy shit man, the animated subs were fucking killer and enhanced the experience. When the fan subs stopped and the Funimation rips became the norm I stopped watching. 

I do see now that some older anime has been picked up and spread around. Heroic Age is on Hulu. Amagami SS is on that Hidive site. Don't see Kiss x Sis or Hand Maid May anywhere lol. But yeah, random stuff like that is why I stuck to unofficial streaming sites. In the past like 5 years I have only watched 2 anime shows and that was on one of the sites I listed above.

Anyway, my original post was me saying if you don't want to pay CR then... :pirate_2: 

course that doesn't mean shit if you don't watch from your pc like I do 

Ha, yeah, they somewhat do still exist, but the old days of fansubs for anime no longer really exist. Funny enough, I remember getting a warning from Comcast like twenty years ago because I was personally mirroring an FTP for this group that was fansubbing Vandread, among other series. If anyone here ever downloaded Vandread with hardsubs from some random FTP site hosted in the US like back in 2000, there's a good chance you were pulling it off a server I had running under my desk. Comcast was REALLY unhappy with how much data I was pushing. I was uploading hundreds of gigs a month and was in the top 1% of users in Massachusetts for a minute there. Good times.

Nowadays those sites are just likely to rehost pirate anime that was ripped from Netflix and Crunchyroll. Fan translations really only still exist in any real numbers for manga.

• 1 year later...

The price is only getting jacked up when you compare Funimation's $6/mo to Crunchyroll's $8/mo. It is, however, a bullshit move to imply folks have to migrate to the $10/mo plan. The $10/mo plan is the family plan with 4 concurrent streams and offline downloads. If you don't need either of those, it's really a $2/mo increase and Crunchyroll bumped prices up to that several years ago.