Microsoft and Sony both "lamented" how next-gen console pre-orders went, Xbox boss says

SaysWho?

Speaking on The Verge's Decoder podcast, Spencer said both he and PlayStation head honcho Jim Ryan had "lamented" how frustrating an experience it had been for people simply trying to put down money for a console - and suggested something would have to change next time around.

"I do think this business is going through, both for us and Sony - Jim Ryan [at Sony], I have a lot of respect for him, we both have lamented how these pre-orders have gone and what problem are we really solving when we seem to still have as many upset customers as we have, because they can't get our product," Spencer said. "I do think it's going to push us to think about new models. It could be, reserve your slot. It could be doing things more direct with the customer. [We] still could have the retailer fulfill the order, but just so people can have more clarity on when they can get a console. It's something we're working on."

Rather than limit console orders to just pre-orders, both companies still released some stock on their respective launch days in a bid to drum up retail excitement. But Spencer appeared to question whether this practice should continue.

"We want people to feel like there's some consoles to go buy, and it's not just the day where everybody gets to go pick up their [pre-ordered] console. I don't know if that's the right decision in today's world," Spencer continued. "That's very old world thinking, people are going to go line up outside of a store, kind of last decade thinking. I think we should challenge ourselves on that. Is that really the supply chain through the consumer that we're talking about, that is a reality? We talked to our retail partners about this as well."

15 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think the solution is obvious: Find the geographic middle point of the continent and stack all of the units in one place. Then, announce the location one day in advance and let the hordes come. First come, first served.

makes me think of the start of the hunger games when everyone runs for some weapons

Just work with eBay, Amazon, Walmart, and Google to not allow new consoles to be sold at greater than retail prices. You'd still sell out, but customers would be less upset if jumping online to find one in stock somewhere didn't only list units marked up 20-50%.

My son wants a Mario Kart Home Circuit for Christmas. I ordered a Japanese model from Play Asia because even with the $40 shipping, it was cheaper than anything I could find elsewhere online.

• Haha 1

Seems like you they could limit it to 1 console purchase per account at each retailer , in store pick up only. Drivers license and credit card must match account and in hand to pick up.

You wanna snag up 20 PS5 , you need 20 individuals each with separate accounts, with 20 separate CC and each one has to show for pick up. It wont stop them but it certainly would slow them down I think.

This cycle is going to repeat every time a major product releases.  Companies keep acting oblivious to the existence of bots when they're well aware of the issue.  This year was just extra salty as camping was basically out of the option given the existence of Covid-19.