NFL Week 12 - Pecan Pie vs Pumpkin Pie

Keyser_Soze

spacer.png

Normally people go out to people's houses for Thanksgiving and don't get to see the games. This year might be different, you could possibly see every game on Thanksgiving this year!

But other than the Baltimore game, who would want to watch the other two? :sick:

Seattle has a primetime game every week it seems. Good for them!

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Normally people go out to people's houses for Thanksgiving and don't get to see the games. This year might be different, you could possibly see every game on Thanksgiving this year!

But other than the Baltimore game, who would want to watch the other two? :sick:

Seattle has a primetime game every week it seems. Good for them!

Would you prefer the Bears? :lol:

• Sad 1

I had some time on my hands this morning, and someone I know mentioned the famous Bill Parcells quote "You are what your record says you are."  Given how many teams have similar records, I wanted to see if there was anything that we could use to differentiate between the teams, BASED ON THEIR RECORD ALONE.  I recognize this is very myopic, but I wanted to see the impact of the unbalanced schedules of the NFL on teams records.  I created 3 groups of teams (the playoff contenders -- those that had winning percentages above .600, the "middle of the pack" those that had winning percentages between .600 and .400 and the "Not-In-Hunt" for those below .400.  (I also broke the top and bottom groups into the "elite" above .800, and the sucks for below .200.)  For each of the "playoff contenders" (9 from the AFC, 6 from the NFC, 0 from the NFC East) -- I calculated their W-L record against each of the groups.  I then came up with what looked like logical groups of teams (to me).

spacer.png

Elite

Based on their records, the Chiefs, Steelers and Saints are the best teams in the league.  They only have 3 losses between them, all to playoff contenders -- 2 to the Raiders, 1 to the Packers.

Punching Above Their Weight

These two teams had the most games against playoff contenders (7 for Bills, 6 for Raiders) -- more importantly, @BuckFly the Bills are the only "non-elite" team  to have a winning record against the other playoff contenders and the Raiders are the only team to have a winning record against "elite teams".

Holding Their Own

I kept moving the Green Bay Packers up because of their win against the Saints -- but ended up leaving them here because they lost to the Bucs, Colts and "ugh" Vikings.

I left everyone else here, unless they had done something that convinced me to move them to the "pretenders".

Pretenders

I moved the Colts and Titans here because they had lost to a "Not-In-Hunt" teams -- the 1-9 Jags and the 2-7-1 Bengals.

Browns -- other than their 1 win over the Colts, they've only won against the dregs of the league.

Dolphins/Arizona -- they were the only teams that had more than 1 loss against a non-playoff contender.

There it is -- does it mean anything?  Maybe not, but it did confirm (in my mind at least) how much more difficult the Raiders/Bills schedules have been versus the other playoff contenders.

I'm watching the game right now, and the way they have the scores displayed makes it look like Washington has -7 points.

That makes me think... Negative points should be a thing. Like, defensive touchdowns shouldn't add 6 points to your score, they should take 6 away from the other team's. Same with safeties and special teams touchdowns.

Game theory-wise, it doesn't make a difference. The numbers still add up the same. I just think it would be hilarious if teams could have negative points.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:52 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Based on the whims of the commissioner. FWIW, when the Raiders had their entire offensive line on the COVID IR list, Goodell pulled forward their game.

Raiders had to pull, 49ers had to play, the Colts will have to play this week down a ton of starters. But the darling Ravens get all this extra time to heal up.

It really shows you who the league favorites are.