How to turn your Xbox Series X/S into an emulation powerhouse

Jason

xbseries-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Console “Developer Mode” offers a way in for RetroArch’s dozens of emulation cores.

The installation vector here comes not through an unforeseen security hole, but through Microsoft's policy of allowing any retail Xbox One console to become a full-fledged dev kit. After promising that functionality in 2013, there were signs that Microsoft was thinking of abandoning those plans in 2014. By 2016, though, Microsoft officially opened up the Xbox One, allowing registered Universal Windows Platform (UWP) developers to load and test content directly onto a stock retail console.

And the comment on the article that made me really want to post this here:

Will be really funny when the XBSX gets PS1/PS2/PS3 compatibility before the PS5

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

Will be really funny when the XBSX gets PS1/PS2/PS3 compatibility before the PS5

Not entirely accurate as PS5 does have PS2 games running in emulation already (PS2 classics sold on PS4). I wouldn't put too much hope in the S getting decent PS3 emulation, 1 & 2 I think will be pretty easy to get going.

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Not entirely accurate as PS5 does have PS2 games running in emulation already (PS2 classics sold on PS4). I wouldn't put too much hope in the S getting decent PS3 emulation, 1 & 2 I think will be pretty easy to get going.

But PC also doesn't really have PS3 emulation working properly either, right? Seems like the new Xboxes should get it quickly once it's working on PC.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

But PC also doesn't really have PS3 emulation working properly either, right? Seems like the new Xboxes should get it quickly once it's working on PC.

There already is a PS3 emulator for PC but until the emulator has fully matured (which takes quite a while) performance will be spotty and resource hungry. The S won't cut it but maybe the X might have a shot. Here is a decent rundown but still glosses over a few more in depth technical parts. 

5 hours ago, chakoo said:

There already is a PS3 emulator for PC but until the emulator has fully matured (which takes quite a while) performance will be spotty and resource hungry. The S won't cut it but maybe the X might have a shot. Here is a decent rundown but still glosses over a few more in depth technical parts. 

The series X will absolutely, without question, have power to spare for a ps3 emulator. It might be resource heavy, but the xbox is incredibly powerful.

23 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The series X will absolutely, without question, have power to spare for a ps3 emulator. It might be resource heavy, but the xbox is incredibly powerful.

It's not always just a question of raw power for brute force approach, it also comes down to how much time has been put into optimizing things. I think in the long run the X will have enough power to run an optimized emulator but there is a high chance early days of a port of RPCS3 port would run like garbage. Not to mention what overhead limitations are in open developer mode on XSX (Mvg makes mention of not having raw direct access over the hardware).

-edit-

With that all said. I'm sure there is a dev that will see this as a worthwhile challenge to take on in the near future.