I’ve started watching hockey

CastlevaniaNut18

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The 81/82 Oilers were 48-17-15 (best in Campbell Conference) and lost in the first round to to the 24-41-15 Kings (this was the era when almost everyone made the playoffs)  in the biggest choke-job in NHL playoff history.  They followed that up, by having the best record in the Campbell Conference AGAIN and getting swept in the finals.

After that, things changed.  But that doesn't negate what happened in those two years (or what happened against Calgary in '85/'86).

This is coming from someone who watched every one of those losses as a die-hard Oiler fan (at least I was, until they sold Gretzky).

I mean, they were a young inexperienced team, and frankly, gretzky was getting hit more in the playoffs. It doesn't negate those two years, but you're ignoring them taking 5 Stanley cups in from 84 to 90, seven seasons. It doesn't get more of an exception than that. That they didn't win EVERY cup of the 80's doesn't negate what I spoke of. Yes, it proves even the best can lose, but what they did was special and probably won't ever be repeated. 

11 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, they were a young inexperienced team, and frankly, gretzky was getting hit more in the playoffs. It doesn't negate those two years, but you're ignoring them taking 5 Stanley cups in from 84 to 90, seven seasons. It doesn't get more of an exception than that. That they didn't win EVERY cup of the 80's doesn't negate what I spoke of. Yes, it proves even the best can lose, but what they did was special and probably won't ever be repeated. 

I'm talking about a team with 7 future hall of famers losing in the first round to the 17th best team in a 21 team league.

48 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm talking about a team with 7 future hall of famers losing in the first round to the 17th best team in a 21 team league.

Again, best team in the league in their first playoffs as a young team isn't surprising at all. Especially then, the playoffs were a rougher game and they didn't know how to deal with it yet. Once they had enforcers around G-man, they dominated. 

Yes, it proves the best can lose, like I said, but again, they are a historic team that I doubt we ever see the likes of again, In 10 years they won 5 cups. 50% is way above any other team except Montreal in the 60's and 70's, and well, being guaranteed a first round draft pick of french players never should have been a thing.  If you win 50% of the cups in a decade, you are a rare exception. 

Now you're explaining why regular season success doesn't equate to playoff success -- and I agree with you for this team.

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Again, best team in the league in their first playoffs as a young team isn't surprising at all. Especially then, the playoffs were a rougher game and they didn't know how to deal with it yet. Once they had enforcers around G-man, they dominated. 

Yes, it proves the best can lose, like I said, but again, they are a historic team that I doubt we ever see the likes of again, In 10 years they won 5 cups. 50% is way above any other team except Montreal in the 60's and 70's, and well, being guaranteed a first round draft pick of french players never should have been a thing.  If you win 50% of the cups in a decade, you are a rare exception. 

It wasn't their first playoffs.  They had made the playoffs the previous 6 seasons (2 in NHL, 4 in WHA).  This was Gretzky's 4th year on the team, where he scored the still-record 92 goals in one season.

58 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
AA1aB6VR.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

Well, Leafs Nation, do you want to go watch the second round of the playoffs in Sunrise, Florida? Unless you’re a dual citizen, you won’t be able to.

kinda sad when flying from Toronto area to Florida is (for the most part) the cheaper option for a Toronto Leaf playoff ticket

• True 1

I prefer this version of Team USA over any other. I think the original design was in 1956 or 1960

TEAM USA | NIKE Olympic Throwback Customized Hockey Jersey

Some NHL ones

http://nhluniforms.com/Penguins/SpecialImages/Penguins01.png

Minnesota Wild green

http://nhluniforms.com/Wild/Images/Wild06.png

Could really pick a lot of Jets jerseys but I liked these the most

http://nhluniforms.com/JetsNEW/SpecialImages/JetsRR2.png

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Maybe the Panthers are the team of destiny this year. 

They absolutely have that look and feel. If the Leafs weren’t the Leafs I’d say the same about them but, ya know, the leafs

Hockey is easily the best sport to watch and it's even better in person which isnt true for most American sports.

Football is still my favorite sport but 3.5 hour games that are 2/3rds commercials ain't it. I love basketball too but the endings are so damn anti-climactic and officiating determines the outcome far too often.

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

Hockey is easily the best sport to watch and it's even better in person which isnt true for most American sports.

Football is still my favorite sport but 3.5 hour games that are 2/3rds commercials ain't it. I love basketball too but the endings are so damn anti-climactic and officiating determines the outcome far too often.

To be fair, that raptors 6ers ending may be a top 5 sports moment in history. But otherwise yeah.

You guys the cats have that look. Bob slammed the door. Getting kings circa early 10s vibes.

Leafs carried the play, panthers just were opportunistic and Bob got the cheat codes. Classic case of getting goalied.

On 5/3/2023 at 7:20 PM, BloodyHell said:

I’d be really in a Stars vs Oilers series. I hope Toronto puts up a fight, burn Florida to the ground, but I’m not holding out hope.

Leafs Vs Canes would be fun too.

basically I just want Florida to lose though.

yes, I’m sour.

Leafs are gonna Leaf.