I’ve started watching hockey

CastlevaniaNut18

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

What a collapse. I know I’m new to hockey but it’s crazy to see a team that was almost unbeatable in the regular season just fall apart in the first round. 

It’s 3-2 with 5 minutes left with Boston with the lead. Calm down they got this. 

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Nah, it’s a really fun game. I’m not giving up. Just a crushing loss, getting excited about this team all season for a first round exit. Hard to believe. 

Playoffs are like a separate season. Forget everything that happened in regular season, it doesn’t matter beyond getting into the playoffs (with a few exceptions with dynasties like the Oilers in the 80’s, Detroit in the mid to late 90’s, and the early Crosby day’s with Pittsburgh).

the playoffs bring out the best in lesser players.

Shock and disappointment is a staple of the playoffs.

So

bruins blew a 3-0 series lead 

blew a 3-0 game 7 lead

Two goals in 20 seconds to lose the cup

blew 3-1 series lead as the nhl record holders

if not for one cup the bruins would hold that choker label. 

Feels good 

DxQTxFU.png

10 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Playoffs are like a separate season. Forget everything that happened in regular season, it doesn’t matter beyond getting into the playoffs (with a few exceptions with dynasties like the Oilers in the 80’s, Detroit in the mid to late 90’s, and the early Crosby day’s with Pittsburgh).

the playoffs bring out the best in lesser players.

Shock and disappointment is a staple of the playoffs.

As someone who lived in Edmonton in the early 80s, I can confidently say that the Oilers aren't an exception -- please look at the '81/'82 and '85/'86 Oilers (and to a lesser extent the '82/'83 Oilers).

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

DxQTxFU.png

As someone who lived in Edmonton in the early 80s, I can confidently say that the Oilers aren't an exception -- please look at the '81/'82 and '85/'86 Oilers (and to a lesser extent the '82/'83 Oilers).

I mean, I grew up watching the oilers. To call them anything but an exception is wrong. They won 84 and 85, 87 and 88, and 90. Aside from Montreal and Toronto's years of special treatment, I don't think there's a team that fits the bill more.  

37 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, I grew up watching the oilers. To call them anything but an exception is wrong. They won 84 and 85, 87 and 88, and 90. Aside from Montreal and Toronto's years of special treatment, I don't think there's a team that fits the bill more.  

The 81/82 Oilers were 48-17-15 (best in Campbell Conference) and lost in the first round to to the 24-41-15 Kings (this was the era when almost everyone made the playoffs)  in the biggest choke-job in NHL playoff history.  They followed that up, by having the best record in the Campbell Conference AGAIN and getting swept in the finals.

After that, things changed.  But that doesn't negate what happened in those two years (or what happened against Calgary in '85/'86).

This is coming from someone who watched every one of those losses as a die-hard Oiler fan (at least I was, until they sold Gretzky).