South Dakota AG hits and kills deer on way home from bar. Turns out it was a person. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.thedailybeast.com/south-dakota-attorney-general-jason-ravnsborg-involved-in-fatal-car-accident-thought-he-hit-deer-cops-say

South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg reported hitting a deer Saturday night, but was in fact involved in a fatal car crash whose victim was discovered the following morning, the Sioux Falls Argus-Leaderreports. Joe Boever, 55, has been identified as the person killed, and his cousin Victor Nemec told the paper, “The attorney general hit my cousin as he was walking down the side of the road and killed him.”

The State Highway Patrol was taking the lead on the investigation, with additional help from North Dakota due to conflict of interest concerns, as Ravnsborg oversees the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation. According to Ravnsborg’s chief of staff, he called 911 from the accident, and was uninjured.

Meanwhile, the Argus Leader reported Monday on documents showing the AG has been charged with speeding and other traffic offenses in the past.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think that the North Dakota police are going to be too neutral in investigating a fellow member of the "throw them in jail" gang.

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/south-dakota-attorney-general-jason-ravnsborg-involved-in-fatal-car-accident-thought-he-hit-deer-cops-say

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think that the North Dakota police are going to be too neutral in investigating a fellow member of the "throw them in jail" gang.

In this country at worst he will get a ticket for fleeing the scene. Hitting someone with a car is as close as you can get to getting away with murder

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In this country at worst he will get a ticket for fleeing the scene. Hitting someone with a car is as close as you can get to getting away with murder

Certainly in NYC. They literally won't charge you as long as you're not drunk and stay at the scene. And this is for anyone, not just cops and powerful people. 

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The same is true in Canada. Just say "oops," and you'll likely get off with a fine, as long as you weren't also drunk or driving dangerously in another way (excessive speeding, on the sidewalk, etc).

In NYC I'm pretty sure this will even get you off the hook for nailing someone on the sidewalk (not sure about continuously driving on the sidewalk but I somehow doubt it). Just say "oops I lost control of the vehicle". Not sure if there's a point at which you're speeding so excessively that they'd actually book you.

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Bullshit. Who the fuck hits a deer and doesn't stop to assess the damage?

Not to just assess the damage but for fucks sake make sure the animal you hit isnt suffering. I hit a squirrel that dive bombed in front me, i still stopped to make sure it wasnt suffering, If I didnt I would tear me up inside. 

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Not to just assess the damage but for fucks sake make sure the animal you hit isnt suffering. I hit a squirrel that dive bombed in front me, i still stopped to make sure it wasnt suffering, If I didnt I would tear me up inside. 

I mean, I'm not stopping for a squirrel. I always avoid hitting animals when I can and I've hit very few, but you run over a squirrel, that thing is dead.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, I'm not stopping for a squirrel. I always avoid hitting animals when I can and I've hit very few, but you run over a squirrel, that thing is dead.

My Grandfather hit one when I was about 12, he caught it at the tail and back legs. It wasnt dead and it was screaming,he promptly dispatched it , Ill always go back.

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

My Grandfather hit one when I was about 12, he caught it at the tail and back legs. It wasnt dead and it was screaming,he promptly dispatched it , Ill always go back.

So what're you going to do if it's not immediately dead? Do you have something to finish it off with? Good gloves in case you get bit? Because those little bastards will bite the shit out of you. I squirrel hunt and I've nicked the spine on them a good number of times. Got bit once trying to finish one off by hand and I regretted it.

You hit a deer and it's not dead, there's not much you can do, unless you have a gun in your vehicle.

To the best of my recollection, I've hit one rabbit, a chipmunk, and a couple birds. I'm the person who slows down for them and when I can safely stop, I'll move a turtle crossing the road.

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So what're you going to do if it's not immediately dead?

End it

Do you have something to finish it off with?

I carry heavy pipe on my truck. 

Good gloves in case you get bit?

No need to handle it

You hit a deer and it's not dead, there's not much you can do, unless you have a gun in your vehicle.

Wife hit one once,we called animal control and they dispatched it. I dont carry mine unless I am going to the range or the rare long distance traveling.

Dont get me wrong I am not criticizing anyone for not stopping for hitting a squirrel I just cant do it.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Good for you then. I had you figured along the lines of most the rest of the board and wouldn't be prepared to deal with it.

I am not try to make myself as some hardend bad ass, cause Ill straight cry like a school girl afterwards. I cant even deal with "suffering animals" commercials on tv, I make my wife change it when they come on

2 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I am not try to make myself as some hardend bad ass, cause Ill straight cry like a school girl afterwards. I cant even deal with "suffering animals" commercials on tv, I make my wife change it when they come on

Yeah, I hunt, but I still feel bad when an animal is killed needlessly. I get pissed at people who kill snakes. I only kill what I'll eat(unless it' a pesky bug).

I hate when I make a bad shot and only wound the deer. I've always been able to find them, but I've done an ugly number on a couple and felt awful until I was able to put one in the head.