Forza Motorsport - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC version technical review

Pikachu

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

tell me your dad is on star link and make my week

I had to look that up. I might as well be using starlink. I was playing Starfield as it was dl'ing and that slows things down for me. I'll fire it up tomorrow. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I had to look that up. I might as well be using starlink. I was playing Starfield as it was dl'ing and that slows things down for me. I'll fire it up tomorrow. 

I picture your Dad yelling "Best are you on that damn game machine again? What did I tell you about staying off it during Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy" Goddamit we gotta have some ground rules around here.

• Hype 1

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I picture your Dad yelling "Best are you on that damn game machine again? What did I tell you about staying off it during Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy" Goddamit we gotta have some ground rules around here.

Funny thing is they are watching Jeopardy as I type this.  😆 

The speed overall is fine. I can't complain.  

• Haha 1

Stepped away from Elden Ring today to hook up my G29 racing wheel & Forza Motorsport and was pretty excited to! I love Racing games though I am not very good. I have spent at Least 150 hours playing Dirt 2.0 {Not dirt rally} on PC&Xbox over the last 4 years and it's my favorite racing game ever. Bing a HUGE Forza Horizon fan too I admit I had/have massively huge expectations going in.

This game is just Pretty! The Eye candy is top notch though to be fare so is GT7 but a have but 3 hours or so on that game as I have no wheel for the PS5 and that has always kept me from really enjoying PS racers in general. So....To start off, this is is horse shit when it comes to wheel settings out of the box. My god I have a lot of tuning before this games feels right. Massive shame. With a controller It's fine but man I guess I have my homework for the next few days. I'll up date my overall opinion to anyone who cares but I have to get this wheel dialed in, so I'll be playing mainly practice laps and none career mode for the next few to get that right. I'm sure it's there it's just well hidden right now...lol

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Best is on his parent's crap internet and on wifi on top of it, is definitely an issue with his internet.

I get good speeds on Xbox myself, which I explained in some other thread.

And I never care because I always dl my stuff at night when I'm sleeping. 😴 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Nope.  My PC is wireless (Internet is theoretically 1.5GB down), I have 2 Asus ROG GT-AX11000 routers in an AI mesh that gives my pretty good wireless speed throughout my house.

oh PC. Yeah downloading from the Xbox app  on PC is much faster than on series X. I thought you meant your Xbox was downloading faster than that. 

yeah, I don’t think it is Xbox servers or services that are slow. It’s the weak wifi card or antenna inside the Series X. So it is an Xbox issue, isolated to consoles. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

oh PC. Yeah downloading from the Xbox app  on PC is much faster than on series X. I thought you meant your Xbox was downloading faster than that. 

yeah, I don’t think it is Xbox servers or services that are slow. It’s the weak wifi card or antenna inside the Series X. So it is an Xbox issue, isolated to consoles. 

No, once MS announced they were releasing their games day-and-date with PC, I stopped buying Xboxes.

Just now, best3444 said:

I disagree buddy boy. It's pretty close so I'd have to see them side by side. The cars look better in GT7 but the edge goes to Forza for environments. I know you're a fanboy but work with me.

Wait…..you’re using my Buddy Boy? I invented BUDDY BOY. 

• Haha 1

Historically Gran Turismo has cheated to look better. It faked it's reflections on the car and had baked in lighting and shadows. When Forza came along it did everything in real time with 3D environments, which is why I think someone could perceive Gran Turismo looking better. It's like looking at a photoshop enhanced version of reality against just looking outside and seeing the real thing.

These days I'm sure Gran Turismo does more real time lighting and such but I'm sure they still have some tricks up their sleeves.

Things Forza does better than GT. I love the way you can pick your starting position. Depending on how much risk/reward you feel your driving skill is at. Unlike GT that always puts you very last on the starting grid. Also I think the racing A.I. is better. It feels like I'm actually racing other cars where as in GT I kinda feel the cars are just road blocks that I need to pass and get ahead of as quickly as possible to win the race. Don't get me wrong Forza has beautiful graphics but I do feel GT has slightly better graphics, 

23 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Also I think the racing A.I. is better. It feels like I'm actually racing other cars where as in GT I kinda feel the cars are just road blocks that I need to pass and get ahead of as quickly as possible to win the race.

Yeah, GT the cars ALWAYS follow the racing line, never deviate.

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Things Forza does better than GT. I love the way you can pick your starting position. Depending on how much risk/reward you feel your driving skill is at. Unlike GT that always puts you very last on the starting grid. Also I think the racing A.I. is better. It feels like I'm actually racing other cars where as in GT I kinda feel the cars are just road blocks that I need to pass and get ahead of as quickly as possible to win the race. Don't get me wrong Forza has beautiful graphics but I do feel GT has slightly better graphics, 

I went to fire up GT7 to compare and I need a huge update. I haven't turned on my PS5 in almost 2 months. I played more Forza and I think I like the setup better and how you progress. It looks really good. 

So not sure if anyone else on PC is seeing this here, I see people on Reddit and the Forza forums say they see it, but sometimes the game just decides it isn’t going to render a bunch of stuff. Cars lose texture, grand stands and cranes just vanish, but most annoyingly the track surface itself will be absent around most of the course. 

I thought it might have been a VRAM issue as one time it happened I enabled the MSI overlay and saw the VRAM just top out at 12GB, like 12 was a cap and if the game needed more it wasn’t using more. But then on another track it was happening when the VRAM usage was just over 11GB. Very strange. 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So not sure if anyone else on PC is seeing this here, I see people on Reddit and the Forza forums say they see it, but sometimes the game just decides it isn’t going to render a bunch of stuff. Cars lose texture, grand stands and cranes just vanish, but most annoyingly the track surface itself will be absent around most of the course. 

I thought it might have been a VRAM issue as one time it happened I enabled the MSI overlay and saw the VRAM just top out at 12GB, like 12 was a cap and if the game needed more it wasn’t using more. But then on another track it was happening when the VRAM usage was just over 11GB. Very strange. 

I haven’t seen that yet. 

Things I missed earlier, and I understand now:

1)  In the HUD/GUI menu, there are a bunch of good toggles.  I have turned on a time delta box in the top left that shows where I am compared to the lead car and those around me, along with an indicator above each car that shows their position.

2)  The "target" time in practice varies with your car (and its upgrades) along with the drivatar level.  How you perform in practice is a good indicator of whether you are at the right drivatar level.

3)  Some cars can't compete effectively in each cup.  If the car you've selected isn't in any of the top places, and you are struggling placing in a cup-- switch it up (preferably to one of the cars that the AI is placing high with).

4)  The auto upgrade when customizing your car leaves performance on the table, it is a good start, but I am now in the habit of auto upgrading, then tweaking.

5)  Before each practice, set your fuel level and tire compound.  This is easy free performance.  (I set fuel to one tick above the minimum to complete the race, and use soft tires).

6)  When selecting your grid slot, the game uses your practice time to estimate your final position.  When you decide to race against high drivatar levels, it can be a good judge about where to move yourself up the order.

7)  Turn off most driving assists (stability control, ABS, traction control).  You're preventing yourself from getting better by using them.

8)  The AI can be very aggressive (and ignores where you are), if you're starting further back, it's often better to let the AI take each other out, and play it safe for the first few corners.  

• Thanks 2
  • Hugs 1