Eastern Oklahoma (including Tulsa) is now considered an Indian Reservation

Lol SCOTUS tearing Oklahoma's arguments to shreds.

Oklahoma contends that Congress never established a reservation but instead created a “dependent Indian community.” To hold that the Creek never had a reservation would require willful blindness to the statutory language and a belief that the land patent the Creek received somehow made their tribal sovereignty easier to divest. Congress established a reservation, not a dependent Indian community, for the Creek Nation.

Also telling Congress to suck it DX style.

While there can be no question that Congress established a reservation for the Creek Nation, it’s equally clear that Congress has since broken more than a few of its promises to the Tribe... courts have no proper role in the adjustment of
reservation borders. Mustering the broad social consensus required to pass new legislation is a deliberately hard business under our Constitution. Faced with this daunting task, Congress sometimes might wish an inconvenient reservation would simply disappear. Short of that, legislators might seek to pass laws that tiptoe to the edge of disestablishment and hope that judges—facing no possibility of electoral consequences themselves—will deliver the final push. But wishes don’t make for laws, and saving the political branches the embarrassment of disestablishing a reservation is not one of our constitutionally assigned prerogatives.

10 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Does that mean that the State of Oklahoma has no jurisdiction there?

They cannot prosecute Native Americans, no. That's what I'm gathering but I haven't parsed through it enough to know if it means anything else.

4 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Does that mean that the State of Oklahoma has no jurisdiction there?

It means that either the feds or the tribe can prosecute Native Americans, but not the state. It doesn't change anything to non-native people.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I would accept Manhattan being returned to indigenous people over it being reclaimed into the sea. Let’s make this happen.

What's with your hated of Manhattan again? Not that I love it or anything, but curious as why you always say that.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

What's with your hated of Manhattan again? Not that I love it or anything, but curious as why you always say that.

It’s 99% hyperbole and in the interest of amusing myself. It’s mainly because one time I was driving through it, tried to avoid the GWB, made a wrong turn, and ended up having to drive around a quarter of the island to get back on track. I realized that when I’m commuting up and town the east coast by car, everything would be easier if Manhattan didn’t exist. :p Also I went to a Manhattan bachelor party once that was so expensive it made me long for a previous one I was at in Atlantic City where we saw a teenager and a liquor store owner aim guns at each other, a stripper I paid to give a lap dance to the groom to be told me she had chlamydia after she finished with him, and was the only time I’ve ever lost money at a craps table.

I wouldn’t want to live or work in Manhattan but it’s rad to visit. My wife lived in Bed Stuy for a year, and that / Brooklyn were more my speed.

Also...

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Massholitis

New Yorkers thinking everyone is jealous of them never gets old.

Believe me as a New Jersey transplant who now lives 12 miles north of Boston, I understand any of the rocks I’m throwing here are coming from the porch of a house made of the thinnest glass.

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It’s 99% hyperbole and in the interest of amusing myself. It’s mainly because one time I was driving through it, tried to avoid the GWB, made a wrong turn, and ended up having to drive around a quarter of the island to get back on track.

You remind me of the Masshole I know who bailed on an entire weekend on Philly because somehow driving from the Boston area to Philly he got stuck in hellacious traffic in the Bronx, or something like that? None of us had any idea how that situation made sense. 

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

You remind me of the Masshole I know who bailed on an entire weekend on Philly because somehow driving from the Boston area to Philly he got stuck in hellacious traffic in the Bronx, or something like that? None of us had any idea how that situation made sense. 

People who grew up in Boston not being able to drive anywhere and deciding a trip isn’t worth it because the traffic on the Merritt Parkway could be bad is 100% on brand. Would they somehow also endure the possibility that the Sagamore bridge may collapse and fling them into the uncaring water if it meant a weekend on the Cape? Yes.

i worked at a liquor store while I was in grad school and when I started the owner asked me if a I had a driver’s license, and I said yes. Then he asked me if I knew how to drive, and when I said yes with a confused look on my face, he said nobody in the area knew how to drive, and lord was he right. This is the dude that owned 2 liquor stores off Comm Ave. (one of the Green Line T routes covered the entirety of his drive), would drive from one to the other, didn’t want to look for parking, made me drive his van back to the other store, take the T back to the shop where I worked, and then do the process in reverse when he wanted to go home. His justification? “I’ve worked too hard to take the fucking T and I barely know how to drive.”

So your story is believable and warrants zero fact checking.

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

So your story is believable and warrants zero fact checking.

The parts of the story that didn't make sense were, one, he was talking like he was on the surface streets of the Bronx and actively lost, and not just sitting in traffic on I-95. And, two, that he decided to turn around and go back to Boston despite being most of the way to Philly. 

But especially the first part. We were all flabbergasted. 

A fellow Jersey boy. I knew there was a reason I liked you.

A lot of people also forget that Harlem and the Heights are in Manhattan. Like it's not all Carrie Bradshaw taking a night out on the town with Big on a horse and trolley. East Village and LES used to be happenin' before the trust-fund babies moved in, too. Very "Brooklyn-like."

1 minute ago, Jason said:

@Kal-El814 now, how do you feel about Jersey? 

My Jersey experience is atypical from the stereotypes I suppose. Neither of my parents are from there, they moved there for work. So when we went on vacation, we went to the Delaware beaches since that’s what my dad knew from when he kid and spent part of his childhood in DE. I also grew up in Sussex County, which is the “point” at the top of NJ. It’s mostly woods. None of the towns around me were big, so we had sending district high schools. We had little ethnic diversity but a lot of economic variance, so kids would come from big, rich ass country homes, trailer parks and everything in between. The main common denominator was that it was super rural, so even though I haven’t lived in that area full time since high school, if I’m at a party and someone asks me if I’ve tried their dip, my immediate thought is still, “I didn’t expect this person to be offering me mouth tobacco,” before realizing they mean food. If I see someone holding a soda bottle close to their chest with the cap off, I assume they’re spitting into it.

That being said... I like New Jersey. I think it had a largely unearned reputation before The Jersey Shore, and that show didn’t help matters. It’s changed a lot since I grew up; Hoboken used to be where dreams went to die and Newark was rough; that’s all pretty different. There’s more environmental and cultural diversity than people expect and the state is small enough that you can get from those different places pretty easily. I mainly miss good Italian pizza places, I’ve never really taken to the Greek sports that are more common in Mass. I wouldn’t want to move back to where I grew up, but if a good work opportunity came up in Newark or something, I’d consider it. My current town isn’t dramatically different from where I grew up, I suppose, but I like Mass better than NJ in general, and I have great affection for Boston... racist warts and all.