Hong Kong: "hundreds" arrested as new security law takes effect, law essentially mandates "extraterritorial jurisdiction"

Teenager waving independence flag among those held as thousands take to the streets (The Guardian)

More than 370 protesters have been arrested as police fired teargas, pepper spray and water cannon at thousands of people protesting against a national security law imposed by Beijing.

The extent of Beijing’s mandate was made clear as full details of the law were released late on Tuesday, giving authorities sweeping powers to crack down on dissent and allowing China new levels of control over the semi-autonomous territory.

On Wednesday, the 23rd anniversary of the handover from Britain to China and the first day under the new law, Hong Kong’s chief executive, Carrie Lam, and government dignitaries from the city and Beijing drank champagne in celebration. Lam called th law “the most important development in relations” between Hong Kong and China since the 1997 handover.

The sweeping/flexible nature of the law means that theoretically anyone in the world can be arrested for criticizing the CPC if they set foot in Hong Kong (VICE News)

But legal experts are now warning that the new legislation applies not only to Hong Kong residents but to virtually anyone around the globe who speaks publicly about the Chinese regime.

Article 38 of the new law reads: “This Law shall apply to offenses under this Law committed against the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region from outside the Region by a person who is not a permanent resident of the Region.”

When read in conjunction with the very broad language used to define the major crimes of subversion and separatism, this new power will allow authorities in Hong Kong to arbitrarily detain anyone who enters Hong Kong who may have previously voiced criticism of the Chinese Communist Party.

“It is asserting extraterritorial jurisdiction over every person on the planet," Donald Clarke, a law professor at George Washington University, wrote Tuesday.

They had a nice run while it lasted. I was talking to a buddy of mine last night and he said a lot of Chinese and Taiwanese money that had been invested in real estate is being pulled out because those investors are legit afraid of what Beijing is gonna do next. Does anyone think that China would be pulling this if anyone else other than Trump was President? The handover was back in '97 right? Why did it take them so long to make a move on Hong Kong?

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They had a nice run while it lasted. I was talking to a buddy of mine last night and he said a lot of Chinese and Taiwanese money that had been invested in real estate is being pulled out because those investors are legit afraid of what Beijing is gonna do next. Does anyone think that China would be pulling this if anyone else other than Trump was President? The handover was back in '97 right? Why did it take them so long to make a move on Hong Kong?

I honestly don't think Beijing gives a flip about whoever is in the White House and would be doing this anyway.

This involves largely domestic political considerations due to Xi's consolidation of nearly absolute Mao-like power and threats to that consolidation for appearing weak in the face of internal discontent.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hong Kong is now a generation removed from British rule.  In China's eyes, this is probably sufficient to start forcing change in the territory.  Additionally, they think they can pull it off because many mainlanders are enjoying similar quality of life compared to their neighbors in Hong Kong (without the civil rights of course!).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I honestly don't think Beijing would give a flip about whoever is in the White House and would be doing this anyway.

While I agree with you , I think who is in power and the current state of affairs allowed them to push up the timeline faster then they would have normally done. Its hard to fight your neighbors when your house is on fire.

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

While I agree with you , I think who is in power and the current state of affairs allowed them to push up the timeline faster then they would have normally done. Its hard to fight your neighbors when your house is on fire.

No argument from me there.

What still is a mystery to me is why the Politburo has allowed Xi to accumulate that much power.  They know damned well the disaster that occurred under Mao, so what's different now?!?

12 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

What still is a mystery to me is why the Politburo has allowed Xi to accumulate that much power.  They know damned well the disaster that occurred under Mao, so what's different now?!?

Has he tackled corruption by arresting his political enemies. Probably just a bunch of people innthe Politboro happy to keep profiting from how things are and keep their head down. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Their economic power and influence?

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Has he tackled corruption by arresting his political enemies. Probably just a bunch of people innthe Politboro happy to keep profiting from how things are and keep their head down. 

That good ole greed

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Their economic power and influence?

He is referring to Mao being a disaster with total power. PRC laws were designed to prevent that. Internal politicking would be what would allow those limits to be removed or ignored.