This is what happens when Dieter from Sprockets runs a multibillion euro company

German payments processsing company Wirecard collapses in "elaborate fraud" after $2 billion in bank accounts in the Phillipines found to not actually exist.

This is Markus Braun, the CEO who was arrested and released on bail:

59325827-be4d-447a-a774-268c23f39a09.jpg

And this is Deiter from Sprockets, a fictional West German TV show from 80s SNL:

4-15-1989_0.42.40.00.jpg?ssl=1

@Commodore D - SoftBank invested $1 billion in this one too :p

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

At this point, I imagine what constitutes "due diligence" at SoftBank is just walking into a pitch meeting, saying "I made this" while holding up a poorly-made paper mache sculpture that looks like absolutely nothing, and then walking out with $1 billion.

D1P let's do this.

49 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Jesus christ, is Softbank just the biggest funder of scams and grifts on the planet?

When I worked for one of SoftBank's a million acquisitions there were stories that Masayoshi Son being the most random billionaire CEO.

We were a Google Suite company and I spent months buying and installing a bunch of Skype-powered Surface Hubs costing tens of thousands of dollars each because he did a conference with Satya Nadella. Why? No idea. That was the reason I was given for just tearing my budget to shreds. He just had everyone across every subsidiary buy them up by the truckload just because. There were rumors he has one craned into his office, even. That's my only SoftBank is run by crazy people story. Nothing there company did made sense. Half of everything they did looked like the choices were based on something Son thought was cool or he had some great idea he never explained to anyone else.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

D1P let's do this.

We just gotta figure out what industry we can "disrupt" that hasn't been disrupted yet. Please keep in mind that said "disruption" definitely does not have to make anything easier or better for consumers, but it definitely does have to involve an app.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If it's SoftBank, he's guilty

I'm telling you that if you can put a good enough presentation in front of Son, you'll likely get money out of them.

I remember when they bought ARM there was a request to switch all the robots over to run on ARM. However, what that meant was anybody's guess. Also, there was an existing agreement in place with Intel. Also, ARM doesn't make chips so who is supposed to replace Intel here? Qualcomm? Samsung? Mediatek? I'm so happy I wasn't very much involved with any of that. I also don't think any changes there were actually ever made.