Rogue Legacy 2 (Xbox consoles, PC) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

AbsolutSurgen

Game Information

Game Title: Rogue Legacy 2

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Apr 28, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Apr 28, 2022)
  • PC (Apr 28, 2022)

Developer: Cellar Door Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 90 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

GameGrin - 10 / 10

Rogue Legacy 2 has taken everything you loved from the first title and improved on everything, this is an incredibly addictive roguelike with customisation options to make it accessible for everyone no matter your skill level!

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Rogue Legacy 2 improves on its predecessor in every way, with smart new additions that elevate its satisfying roguelite loop.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Rogue Legacy 2 is a gorgeous looking game with solid gameplay and a satisfying loop that will keep you playing for hours and hours.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8.8 / 10

Rogue Legacy 2 has a solid gameplay that keeps players motivated to try and explore again and again. And it seems there' s a Castlevania in it, only it' s random.

Gamepur - 8.5 / 10

Rogue Legacy 2 takes an already great formula and packs it full of new content to explore. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing and Cellar Door certainly flirts with that line, but House Rules keep it from fully crossing it.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

It’s impossible to be disappointed with Rogue Legacy 2. As a sequel, it does everything it should: keep the spirit of the original in tact, while bolstering the experience with new content. Bigger and more interesting areas to explore mean you’ll be battling your way through Rogue Legacy 2 for much longer, and the new suite of character classes makes it more interesting than ever. Add to the mix new challenges, more complex traversal mechanics and more ways than ever to upgrade your character, and you’ve got a winning formula.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Rogue Legacy 2 really is a lovely game and I’m glad Cellar Door have included options to make it more approachable. It stands as a terrific example of how to let players tailor their experience to their liking, whether that means a helping hand or dialling up the challenge.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

A roguelike that expands on the original in every way imaginable, with a dizzying number of incentives that ensure repeat runs never get stale.

Rogue-Legacy-2-Heirloom-Chamber-screensh
WWW.DESTRUCTOID.COM

Rogue Legacy 2 review — this flashy sequel is well worth the wait and stands alongside other roguelite greats including Hades and Dead Cells.

It took a lot of effort for me to reach the end, and I felt like the game adequately tested me every step of the way. For some players, the balance — especially in relation to their desire to grind — might be out of whack from time to time. For that reason, it’s worth giving the House Rules another shout-out. These options can be flipped on or off mid-run, and you can alter enemy health or damage (from 50% up to 200%), disable “contact” damage with foes, enable flight, and slow time while aiming, among other settings.

All in all, I found this game to be super satisfying. Some character classes are so enjoyable, I could play a whole separate game (not necessarily even a roguelite!) with only their base mechanics — all of the other assorted archetypes that I don’t typically choose are just icing on top. For me, the classic Rogue Legacy roguelite hooks are still potent in the sequel, and the agile combat and platforming feel fantastic. Once you’re in, it’s hard to walk away.

I knew from my limited time with the Early Access version that Rogue Legacy 2 would be great, but I didn’t necessarily think it would go on to become one of the best games of 2022 and one of my favorite roguelite games. The competition is fierce, but it’s ready.

Rogue-Legacy-2-review-scaled.jpg
WWW.DEXERTO.COM

Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, Rogue Legacy 2 hones in what made the original so great for an even deeper experience.

Despite its rough early game and minor structural setbacks, Rogue Legacy 2 is, for the most part, an incredible sequel to one of the all-time great roguelikes.

Fans of the original will be absolutely captivated by the astounding amount of fresh content on offer while new players, should they stick with it, will have dozens of hours of deeply engaging gameplay to master.

rl2_v1.0_pressrelease_banner.png
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Rogue Legacy 2 expands on almost all of the original's ideas, but is it good?

Expect a challenge if you dive into Rogue Legacy 2. I've had many a run end far too soon by a brutal room of enemies getting the best of me and have thrown generation after generation of my heirs at the six big Estuary bosses. So far, the bosses are difficult but fair and can be taken down with careful planning and talented platforming. However, for those who may want to tweak the challenge separate from the skill tree, Cellar Door Games has implemented a menu it calls "House Rules," which lets you change all kinds of settings to make the experience more enjoyable and accessible. I appreciate any time a developer introduces ways to make granular changes in different aspects of a game so more people can see it through to the end in their own way, so kudos to the Rogue Legacy 2 devs for taking to time to make it happen here.

Despite my gripes with the upgrade system, I've been having fun with Cellar Door's new game and have been consistently surprised by synergies and new room layouts I'm discovering as I near the end of my playthrough. If you like or love Rogue Legacy, and have been holding out until early access ended, wait no longer. Rogue Legacy 2 is a bigger and better version of the original's formula and has kept me playing for "one more run" more times than I'd care to admit. Be sure to check back soon for my full review in the next week or two.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Rogue Legacy 2 (Xbox consoles, PC) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

I really wish I was better at these type games, but I just don't have the dexterity needed I'm afraid. Even Dead Cells which I really like is to hard for me. I'm trying to get better at Hades too but it just seems a bit to hard to enjoy. I see the appeal and the lure of the challenge but I'll have to pass on theses unless there dirt cheap before I buy them. Looks fantastic though....

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

But really fun (imo). Also, if you're finding it too tough, you can change some difficulty settings. One that might help is the damage-on-contact setting, which you can disable so that you no longer lose health if you touch an enemy.

I've considered using some house rules, but I don't think I've played enough to warrant it yet. :p That does sound like a good one though. I've always felt it was too asymmetrical that the player gets hurt for touching but not the enemy.

Got through the first boss on my 4th try (I think it was). Starting to feel the hooks getting under my skin.

I think my biggest issue with the game so far is that when you start a new run with a new dungeon, it can be hard to find where the next place you need to go is. If it were like Dead Cells where you could kind of go to multiple next areas, that might not be so bad, but I feel like I'm regularly finding areas where I know I don't yet have the tools I need yet (because they have a sign that tells you so :p ).

The architect can mitigate that issue by locking the dungeon, and I certainly used him for making my multiple runs at the boss, but he costs way too much money to use regularly and it would be nice if there were easier ways to get to the area you need on your next run.

EDIT: Found Pizza girl which gives you a way to mitigate that issue which is cool (though kind of pricey!)

Oh, and 2 bosses down now. :dancing:

• Halal 1

The third boss Naamah is *far* harder than the first two bosses. I feel like I do basically no damage to it and I have the +15% damage bonus item for it. That said, whenever I look up videos online of people beating it, their characters are substantially higher levels that I am now, so I wonder if that just means I need to do some grinding.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:54 PM, legend said:

Well I made some progress getting the air dash and speak to sprit thingies. So that's something!

I've been playing it on the Deck and it really is a great fit for it.

Ok

I have my PS5 I'm ready for my Email from Valve to purchase my Steamdeck now....lol

After reading about the house rules I might check this out in the near future. I'm really not very good at these though and it frustrating. Not the games fault in any way though so "Just get good" does apply here 

• Like 1

Beat the third boss after getting *much* more comfortable with the gun slinger class, which I found to be the best class for that kind of boss. I didn't use this class before because I was mainly using the D-pad and you can't really aim well with the D-pad. After adapting back to analog for this game, it was a way better fit.

I've also unlocked all the classes and am about halfway through the next biome if I had to guess.

Still no house rules used yet. We'll see how far I can manage this before I hit a wall I don't want to work through :p 

• 2 weeks later...

I've made it all the way to the final boss, no house rules. I may need to grind to beat him though. I looked up tips online and my first search result recommending being level 200, whereas I'm at like 119.  I really don't want to grind that long for the final boss, so I hope they're wrong because that's 68% more of all the levels of gained in the playthrough!

• Like 1

Beat the final boss, no grinding needed :) 

This is only the second Roguelite I've completed a run through, the first being Dead Cells (for some reason Hades never clicked with me, but I might go back to it at some point). Great game. It was certainly hard, but doable even without house rules enabled, although I still think that's a great idea to include for accessibility.

My favorite classes were Gunslinger and Duelist.

The Gunslinger has very high DPS at range and his ability to freeze in air while shooting is really great. Downside is his talent isn't that great at protecting you.

The Duelist also has high DPS, but only in melee range; decent health; and the dodge skill that gives you invincibility is super useful.

For general levels, Gunslinger was my goto. For bosses, Duelist tended to be my goto (including the final 2 bosses)

I'm at level 212 or something and keep getting dunked by the "last" estuary before you open the big door at the start. I think my "problem" is that I just farm gold and by the time I'm ready to fight the boss I don't have a ton of health. :p I should probably try to actually finish the game.

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'm at level 212 or something and keep getting dunked by the "last" estuary before you open the big door at the start. I think my "problem" is that I just farm gold and by the time I'm ready to fight the boss I don't have a ton of health. :p I should probably try to actually finish the game.

All boss doors have a teleporter next to them. When you lose, lock the world with your next heir and then just teleport straight to the boss from the first teleporter immediately after taking the boat to the world. If you lose, do it again (you can also set the lock to "always" which means it will stay on until you explicitly cancel it.) You won't get as much money if you lock it a bunch in a row without success, but it doesn't really matter, especially if you're already at level 212 :p 

If you haven't, I highly recommend the following additional things from the soul shop:

1. Lock right-most heir to your preferred class.

2. Lock right-most heir's spell to your preferred spell.

3. Unlock Furious fighter (lets you tap up on a Barbarian class heir to use the fable hammer weapon that lets you spin attack indefinitely)

Then on the final Estuary, I used the Furious Fighter and the flame barrier spell (circle of fire) so you can just sit on the boss melting him. It's also really good at helping to deflect the projectiles it will shoot at you and swatting away the hand enemies he summons.

• Like 2