Astro's Playroom - reviews fromOpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

I am VERY concerned that their premiere PSVR platformer doesn't mention in the trailer for the new games any PSVR support. Astrobot is so popular Sony designed the system and controller after him so whats the deal with no PSVR support? Sony still doesn't get it when you have more than one platform you need to acknowledge the existence of the other one during an event this is why the Vita failed.

• 5 months later...

Game Information

Game Title: Astro's Playroom

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Nov 12, 2020)

Developers: JapanStudio, Team Asobi

Publisher: PlayStation Studios

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 84 average - 87% recommended

Critic Reviews

EGM - 10 / 10

While many may initially see it as a throwaway free demo for the features of the next-generation console it comes installed on, Astro's Playroom is a wonderful surprise whose price does not speak to its quality. Though it certainly does showcase what the PlayStation 5's new DualSense can do, the game actually has far more value being just that: a game.

TrustedReviews - 5 / 5 stars

In the modern landscape it's easy to believe we've seen everything the medium has to offer, but then a title such as Astro's Playroom comes along and redefines all previous conventions. It's pure platforming excellence and hopefully spells a bright future for one of Sony's finest current mascots.

GotGame - 9.5 / 10

It may only take a handful of hours to complete, but Astro’s Playroom is the perfect pack-in game for the PS5. Players can get a full experience of the DualSense controller’s capabilities and enjoy a fun platformer to boot. This is really something every PlayStation 5 owner should experience before jumping into any other game.

PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10

With its much hyped status as a showcase of the DualSesne controller's fancy new haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, it's equally important to recognise that like Astro Bot before it, Astro's Playroom is a fundamentally excellent platformer that commendably stands on its own merits. Equal parts a stirring demonstration of the capabilities of the DualSense and PS5 console as it is an excellent traditional platformer, Astro's Playroom might just be the best pack-in title of all-time.

COGconnected - 93 / 100

Alas, Astro’s Playroom is only a few astonishing, magical hours long. There are lots of collectibles to go after and a leaderboard driven speedrun mode, but when I finished I was still hungry for more. And that’s kind of the only criticism I can levy against it. The way it leverages PlayStation’s history, I can’t wait to see what irresistible creation Team ASOBI comes up with next. In the here and now, Astro Bot has earned a place in my heart among the very best of PlayStation’s franchises.

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

Astro's Playroom is more than just the perfect demo to see the DualSense's capabilities. It is a PlayStation Celebration

Game Revolution - 4.5 / 5 stars

The only downsides to Astro’s Playroom are that it is fairly short, and it could have used a little plot to tie the whole thing together. However, for the price, it can’t be beaten, and it’s a must-play for those booting up their PS5 for the first time.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Astro's Playroom proves that the DualSense's haptics and adaptive triggers are for real - and that Astro Bot could have a very bright future on PlayStation 5.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

A love letter to PlayStation and a showcase for the future of PS5: a delightful thing to include with the console.

MonsterVine - 4.5 / 5

Astro’s Playroom is a light and fun platformer that serves as a fantastic introduction to the Playstation 5.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

Astro's Playroom is the epitome of the PlayStation 5. It's the foundational software kicking off the next generation of PlayStation gaming. ASOBI Team from Japan Studio could have just phoned it in with a handful of gimmicky levels to distract players while they wait for Miles Morales or Demon's Souls to download, but they didn't. They developed a full fun platforming experience that not only demonstrates the PS5, but celebrates 25 years of PlayStation history in some pretty special ways. It's a powerful showcase that honors everything that led to the "5" in PS5, while also providing a pretty clear picture of what makes this new generation so special.

Push Square - 9 / 10

Astro's Playroom is deserving of every single superlative you're likely to hear associated with it. As a platformer, it's a varied and entertaining experience that's constantly introducing new and exciting ideas over the course of its campaign. And as a DualSense tech demo, it's similarly effective at showcasing the power and potential of Sony's new hardware. But perhaps above all, this is a love letter to the legacy of PlayStation, and it feels fitting that as we enter an exciting new chapter from an undeniably iconic gaming brand, we take a moment to remember the milestones that got us to this point.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9 / 10

Just as Astro Bot Rescue Mission was the perfect title to introduce PS VR, Astro's Playroom is a gem that works better than any manual or datasheet in creating a true man-machine relationship, informal, very pleasant and extremely fun. The DualSense proves to be an exceptional controller with absolutely unique sensory possibilities, able to bring the player even closer to gameplay, without upsetting but moving to a new and unknown level of intimacy that, VR aside, had never been achieved in the "traditional" video game. Its nature as a pre-installed software, which I strongly advise you to start before anything else, to end in an afternoon of non-stop play, gives the ASOBI work a resounding value in empathic terms and "first impact" with the new generation, communicating in the language of fun and surprise everything there is to know about the characteristics of the newcomer. A much more important goal.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 9 / 10

This game will drive your excitement for next gen and will also provide an enjoyable platforming experience.

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

More than a tech demo or a fleeting curiosity, Astro's Playroom is a phenomenal game in its own right that paints a bright future for both the PlayStation 5 and Astro himself

Explosion Network - 8.5 / 10

Astro's Playroom is a fully-fledged game that’s more than just a tech demo.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

As a free pack-in game, Astro's Playroom is a great showcase of the new DualSense controller. More importantly though, it goes above and beyond in celebrating the history of PlayStation. There's throwbacks to PlayStation's greatest games and moments at every turn and it's a genuine delight from start to finish.

Video Chums - 8.5 / 10

Astro's Playroom is perhaps the best pre-installed console launch game that I've ever played. In fact, it's so good that it provides even more incentive to get your hands on a PlayStation 5.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Astro's Playroom is a tangible demonstration of dualsense's incredible potential, but also the sublime meeting point between playstation's past and future. It is difficult, if not impossible, to determine at the moment whether the admirable route traced by ASOBI Team in exploiting the features of the new PS5 controller will remain a little beaten path or the high road taken by most. In doubt, it is still worth abandoning yourself to a colorful party that will make you laugh, entertain, excite and gasp. A very first step in the new generation of those not to be underestimated, as well as the perfect showcase of gaming in sensory format that Sony would like us to live on PlayStation 5 (celebrating its origins from A to Z in the meantime).

AusGamers - 8 / 10

So the question heading into Astro's Playroom becomes - is it actually a game, or more of a tech demo to showcase the fancy new next-gen controller Sony has been cooking up for years?.

Critical Hit - 8 / 10

More than just a tech demo for the DualSense controller, Astro's Playroom is a stunning showcase for the PS5 and the very first game that you have to try out on the next-gen system. Fine-tuned for maximum haptic feedback fun, Astro's return is a marvel that celebrates the past and the future of the PlayStation.

Game Informer - 8 / 10

Astro's Playroom isn't just an introduction to the PS5. It is a charming and enjoyable game, even if it isn't trying to redefine the boundaries of the platforming genre

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Transcending its role as an introduction to the PS5's features, Astro's Playroom is a quick and delightful celebration of PlayStation's history.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Astro's Playroom is a truly adorable and joyful platformer. Even if a bit short and not very difficult, it shows the potential of the DualSense as we go through some lovely levels with some funny ideas and a lot to remember about the whole PlayStation brand. Definitely worth your time.

GamesBeat - 4 / 5 stars

I love 3D platformers. You don’t usually see this kind of charm and polish in the genre unless it has Mario’s name attached to it. Granted, Astro isn’t as acrobatic as our favorite Italian plumber. He has a simple move set consisting of a jump, a hover, and some punches. But Astro’s Playroom never feels dull for a second thanks to its unbounded creativity.

Guardian - 4 / 5 stars

This free-with-the-console game is a ridiculously cute and charming tribute to 25 years of PlayStation history, games and hardware

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Astro's Playroom is an irresistible delight.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 80 / 100

Astro's Playroom it's the best possible way to try your brand new PS5. It's not just a great tutorial to try all DualSense's new tibdits, it's the best possible homage to the PlayStation brand's 25 years of videogaming history, full of references here and there. And it's free. What a pity that it ends very soon.

IGN - 8 / 10

Astro's Playroom is a great showcase for the varied, impressive ways the DualSense can immerse you in next-gen games.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, touch panel, motion sensor, microphone, speaker... there is not a single feature missing from the game included in every PlayStation 5 to discover all the possibilities of the DualSense controller. In addition, it is a nostalgic journey through the history of PlayStation that has touched our hearts.

INDIANTVCZ - Czech - 8 / 10

Astro’s Playroom is a divine technological preview of the new DualSense controller for PlayStation 5. The developers have created not only a great game with a lot of the demonstration of the DualSense controller, but also a wonderful 3D action platformer with playful elements that will entertain everyone. The game is short, you can complete first pass in less than 6 hours with all the challenges, but it's completely free. It offers beautiful stylized graphics in native 4K resolution, good challenges and also good humor.

Nexus Hub - 8 / 10

Astro's Playroom isn't just a wonderful little platformer, but a celebration of PlayStation in general. It's short length may only be good for a lovely night or weekend, but there's enough here for die-hard PlayStation fans to embrace.

PPE.pl - Polish - 8 / 10

Astro's Playroom is a great showcase for the next generation. The game and controller were developed together, which is easy to sense. This is currently the best demonstration of the capabilities of the next-gen pad for PlayStation

Telegraph - 4 / 5 stars

Thanks to the incredible new Dualsense controller gaming has never felt so good

TheGamer - 4 / 5 stars

Astro’s Playroom asks you over and over to fondly remember the memories that you and Grandpa PlayStation made together. But, more importantly, it’s a promise of new and treasured memories to come.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Astro cements himself as the PlayStation 5's mascot with a celebration of all things PlayStation that also showcases the full potential of the immersive new DualSense controller. Astro's Playroom is the first thing you should play on PlayStation 5.

Vamers - 80 / 100

Astro’s Playroom is a wonderful first romp into everything seemingly possible with the PlayStation 5. Serving as both a technological showcase of the system as well as a beautiful and nostalgic trip down memory lane for the PlayStation brand; it is clear the game was created with passion. Although it might completely skimp on narrative, it more than makes up for it in the sheer amount of unique gameplay to show-off the Dual Sense and the wondrous sense of luring players to discover and explore the vivid and delightful worlds on offer. In many ways, it feels like a product of a bygone era. A piece of software specifically built to showcase new hardware. However, this beautiful bundling of software and hardware to offer an experience unavailable on any other platform is ultimately what makes the game so incredible good, and why it will be remembered as a ‘must play’ title for years to come.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.4 / 10

Astro's Playroom is way more than a tech demo: it's fun and brilliant, definitely worth playing.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

Astro Bot has replaced Knack as the cute Sony mascot and I'm okay with it. Although Astro's Playroom isn't a killer app, booting up your PS5 and playing it for free is a great way to get accustomed to your shiny new toy from multiple angles.

Game Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

On its own, Astro’s Playroom would be a fun platforming distraction fit for younger gamers or families. Its world is vibrant and wonderfully detailed, and it looks exceptional on the PS5. But in all honesty, this isn’t so much a game as it is a showpiece for what the DualSense controller can do. And as a result, this isn’t so much a review, as it is an opportunity to highlight how well the features on the PS5 controller work.

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

A highly enjoyable introduction to the PlayStation 5 but also a charming celebration of the entire history of PlayStation, even if it's something you'll only ever play once.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Yes, Astro’s Playroom is included on the console but don’t let it slip off your radar. You’re getting a brilliant platformer on day one that’s an homage to the PlayStation legacy. Throughout four stages, you’ll experience everything the DualSense offers and also a great lead-in to the generation. Since the introduction of the DualShock nearly two decades ago, the controller has marginally improved the experience. Now, I feel like we’re seeing a true revolution thanks to the Adaptive Triggers and Haptic Touch the DualSense uses to immerse players in exciting ways.

Eurogamer - Essential

Sony leans into its PlayStation past in this frequently innovative, supremely charming old-school 3D platformer.

GameXplain - Loved

Video Review - Quote not available

Player2.net.au - B+

As well as being an excellent demonstration of the future ahead for owners of the PS5, Astro’s Playroom serves as an excellent, albeit brief platformer. You’ll find that just as the game really begins to come into its own, it ends, and that’s an almighty shame, but will likely you leaving salivating at the prospect of what is to come for Astro Bot and friends.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

Astro’s Playroom is a stellar showpiece for PlayStation 5

VG247 - Unscored

I’ve been going back to Astro every now and again during my time with the PS5, the quick loading and options to launch to certain zones from the system’s main menu making it easy to spend a few minutes hunting down missing collectibles. But my main takeaway is that I really hope the DualSense is used properly for the life of the console and not just by Sony. I’m sure a lot of the third-party launch window titles will make decent use of its features, but if pushed properly this controller could be a huge selling point for Sony. The HD Rumble on Switch Joy-Cons was used well during the console’s early days, but has now seemingly fallen way down the list of developer priorities.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Astro's Playroom - reviews fromOpenCritic posted
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 7:21 AM, DPCyric said:

I am VERY concerned that their premiere PSVR platformer doesn't mention in the trailer for the new games any PSVR support. Astrobot is so popular Sony designed the system and controller after him so whats the deal with no PSVR support? Sony still doesn't get it when you have more than one platform you need to acknowledge the existence of the other one during an event this is why the Vita failed.

Not every astro game needs to be vr. Most people would prefer it wasn’t. 
psvr was so low res it wasn’t worth owning. Really, its only now vr is starting to get better. I doubt there will more sony vr games until psvr2.

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 12:57 PM, Greatoneshere said:

This is a very fun little platformer of a game, and they really do show you all the different uses/aspects of the controller.

On 12/14/2020 at 2:31 PM, stepee said:

Man, I wish I remembered what weed I was smoking when I played this because I’m not sure how much of it was the weed and how much was the game but man this was a happy fucking experience.

Just beat it. I've gone to it from time to time since it's easy to pick up and play. That final boss had a cool concept, I think.

You're playing on PS1 ground against a PS1 creature and then it gives you all the full effects of the PS5 in Part 2.

I loved the references, and now I'm heading to Youtube to get a list of them all since some I couldn't quite make out. If you enjoyed this, get Astro Bot: Rescue Mission on PSVR. I smiled from beginning to end during that game.

20 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Just beat it. I've gone to it from time to time since it's easy to pick up and play. That final boss had a cool concept, I think.

Reveal hidden contents

I loved the references, and now I'm heading to Youtube to get a list of them all since some I couldn't quite make out. If you enjoyed this, get Astro Bot: Rescue Mission on PSVR. I smiled from beginning to end during that game.

Nice work! I really enjoyed platinum'ing this game. Even the speedrun levels were a blast, and I felt the music was really good all the way through. I would try Rescue Mission but I don't have PSVR . . . yet. 

• Like 1