Update: RIP in Peace, Evo 2020

Keyser_Soze

24 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Online cheating FTW.

I don't think this is a huge problem for established pros. Though I guess suspicions would arise if some scrub started dominating Daigo or something. But since everyone is watching it would probably be pretty easy to DQ someone for it.

25 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

This sounds like a spectacularly bad idea for a fighting game tournament where every frame is of maximum importance.

https://giant.gfycat.com/DaringFamousCommongonolek.webm

Thats a 13 frame launcher

On a 4 bar connection its pretty blockable without the read , 3 bar and less you had to have read it was coming. A single dip in connection will cause someone to lose because of it.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

This seems ideal, we get EVO and all the inevitable drama the move to online will cause.

I can't want for the LeffenBot clones

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2020 at 2:22 AM, crispy4000 said:

Smash Ultimate officially dropped for games without absolute dumpster fire netcode.

evo-online-announced-5kjcc.jpg

Warms my heart to see proper effort rewarded. Especially with the open tournament games, which should be the real highlights imo.

I was worried for SFV, but it looks like it made the cut! 

18 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Nintendo would sooner attempt put the modders in jail. 

I do wonder what will happen when larger and larger melee tournaments start getting organized online, which seems almost inevitable what with the state of the world and the massive netplay improvement.

Speaking of EVO...

EVO suspends one of its organisers over accusations of paedophilia and sexual harassment

EVO organisers have moved to suspend one of their own following paedophilia and sexual harassment allegations.

Earlier today, Mikey, a fighting game competitor, shared his account of repeated incidents with EVO organiser Joey “Mr. Wizard” Cuellar. In a Twitlonger story, Mikey recalled some of his time at the Southern Hills Golfland arcade in the late 90s.

The Smash community in general is now knee deep with accusations of pedophelia.  Turns out the tournament scene for fighting games staring Pikachu and Mario are a haven for abusers.

Don’t even want to joke about it.  30 year olds raping 15 year olds and the like.