Strong likelihood of next-gen consoles being delayed to 2021

crispy4000

The delay of next-generation consoles appears to be inching closer to reality, according to a new report from games industry research firm, DFC Intelligence. With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, better known as coronavirus, we're seeing record industry impact, following the cancellation of top conferences likes GDC and E3 2020, and various product delays. Supply chain issues instigated by coronavirus may also hit Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, during prime time for both platform holders.

A newly-published DFC Intelligence statement, as reported by Forbes, suggests a "strong likelihood" of delay to one or both upcoming flagship consoles.

"Coronavirus is likely to have a major short-term impact on the delivery of both systems," states DFC. "There is a strong likelihood one or both systems will not make a 2020 launch. If the systems do launch, supply will likely be constrained and initial pricing could be higher than expected."

https://www.windowscentral.com/strong-likelihood-xbox-series-x-delay-2021-says-analyst

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

This could be as close as we get to the apocalypse scenario we all joke about, where our huge backlogs keep us busy for plenty of time. 

True that.  I’m digging into the Uncharted series for the first time this week.  Just finished 1.

• Like 1

Looking at my backlog and the games yet to come, I may be OK with this.

Then again, since we're not going to get an insurmountable amount of games at launch, I'll probably do what I normally do and play last-gen games along with current-gen by the time the new consoles hit.

On 3/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, DarkStar189 said:

Probably for the best. Things could get bad financially for people and their health, so I'm fine with anything being delayed.  This could be as close as we get to the apocalypse scenario we all joke about, where our huge backlogs keep us busy for plenty of time. 

I spent the whole weekend playing Breath of The Wild so Link could refresh my memory in survival skills.