Robinhood outage may have wiped out thousands of users accounts, and has cost users millions of dollars in short-term trades

Robinhood, a discount trading brokerage, just had a 24hr outage, and during that time may have lost thousands of users accounts. No word yet on how bad the loss is, but theoretically investments could be no longer traceable to accounts.

More than that, many people have lost out on huge transactions that were supposed to go through during the outage. One man in particular is out $400k after not being able to sell his put positions:

Looks like lots of people shorted the market for today, only to not be able to collect since the site/app are down.

I can't see how this doesn't end the company.

I don't use Robinhood but I do use a discount brokerage. I don't do any option plays or anything like that so I'm not worried about missing one days worth of trading but what is concerning that I never thought of  -- what if my account was just erased? There is insurance that theoretically should cover me but if the data is gone and I'm just like "Well, uhhh I had some stocks... but I can't remember the exact number...." that might cause a problem. I should put it all in a spreadsheet I guess just in case this happens.

5 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

I don't use Robinhood but I do use a discount brokerage. I don't do any option plays or anything like that so I'm not worried about missing one days worth of trading but what is concerning that I never thought of  -- what if my account was just erased? There is insurance that theoretically should cover me but if the data is gone and I'm just like "Well, uhhh I had some stocks... but I can't remember the exact number...." that might cause a problem. I should put it all in a spreadsheet I guess just in case this happens.

Change complex, unique passwords often (every 3 months or so) don't save them on your device, always connect to bank or other financial accounts only on encrypted connections, and for your email and financial accounts require at least 2FA at minimum, token authorization if you can. That's just about all you can really do from what I know

I have an account but thankfully only have the free stock they gave me when I signed up. I couldn't actually get my profile to load but I was able to do a password reset so it seems like they still have my account at least. 

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Change complex, unique passwords often (every 3 months or so) don't save them on your device, always connect to bank or other financial accounts only on encrypted connections, and for your email and financial accounts require at least 2FA at minimum, token authorization if you can. That's just about all you can really do from what I know

That doesn't address the company losing your account information doe. 

Just now, Chris- said:

Sad to see @b_m_b_m_b_m reach the 'horde canned goods and precious metals' point of his political fatalism.

Wait until I feel the need to purchase firearms, then be afraid!

But nothing I've said is different than basic tips any security professional would give you! And I didn't say do all your interneting through a VPN either! I think I deserve some credit for my moderation!

1 hour ago, SilentWorld said:

If the infrastructure was built by not a complete idiot, they should be doing db archives frequently to recover from a complete failure. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have that. Yet with that said, making sure you have a record trail that is verified or back by a trusted party is vitally important (bank transfers, emails from the company, etc).