Rian Johnson: Apple won’t let movie villains use iPhones on camera

https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/26/rian-johnson-apple-movie-villains-use-iphones-on-came/

According to Knives Out and Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson, Apple has a strict stipulation in its product placement contracts that its devices cannot be used by any villainous characters. In a Knives Out scene dissection for Vanity Fair, Johnson said: "Apple, they let you use iPhones in movies but, and this is very pivotal if you're ever watching a mystery movie, bad guys cannot have iPhones on camera." He followed this up with, "Every single filmmaker who has a bad guy in their movie that's supposed to be a secret wants to murder me right now."

This of course only applies to movies where they have product placement. I imagine you could use any brand in a movie without product placement as some sort of fair use?

He followed this up with, "Every single filmmaker who has a bad guy in their movie that's supposed to be a secret wants to murder me right now."

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

This of course only applies to movies where they have product placement. I imagine you could use any brand in a movie without product placement as some sort of fair use?

I think you can show the product, and it can be obvious what product it is, but you can run into trouble if you show company names or brand logos. I honestly don't know how much of a case you'd have, but I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't pay for product placement so much as they just make their products available to use for free on movies. At least I believe that used to be the case. So you could probably show an iPhone with an Apple logo in a way that Apple might not want, but you would stop getting free stuff to use and maybe you'd invite some kind of lawsuit, even if it's mostly baseless.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:23 AM, CitizenVectron said:

As soon as a logo is visible, you need to pay. If a company wants their product in your movie or show, then they pay you. Even in film school we had to use black tape to cover any visible logos for anything in our student films. 

21 minutes ago, Brick said:

As soon as a logo is visible, you need to pay. If a company wants their product in your movie or show, then they pay you. Even in film school we had to use black tape to cover any visible logos for anything in our student films. 

There is no legal requirement in the US to pay a company to use their product even when a logo is present.

32 minutes ago, Brick said:

Is it just so they don't get sued, or something then? 

It really depends on how the item is used. If a movie depicted a child molester using M&Ms to lure children into a van before he rapes them , M&M can sue saying people will see M&M's and think of kiddie rape and it hurts the brand. But if they show someone sitting at desk reading the paper eating M&M's its fair game.

https://rodriqueslaw.com/blog/how-use-brands-and-products-film