Anyone wanna recommend a good router for me?

Paperclyp

This is what I bought and left at my parents when I moved out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2AZLD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No complaints, it handled our house relatively well. A few dead spots here and there in corners of the house, but both floors got covered really well. Might want a mesh network like twinlon said if you have a larger area.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nokt said:

This is what I bought and left at my parents when I moved out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2AZLD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No complaints, it handled our house relatively well. A few dead spots here and there in corners of the house, but both floors got covered really well. Might want a mesh network like twinlon said if you have a larger area.

I have this one too and I like it.

6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The two big questions with routers are if you want to be able to mess with a lot of network settings and therefore want something more advanced, and if you need a mesh network setup to cover a larger area for wifi.

My house is listed for 1,900 sq feet, but I think that is a little low because I don't think it includes the "attic" space, which is actually a finished space. I'm not sure that warrants a mesh network. 

12 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

My house is listed for 1,900 sq feet, but I think that is a little low because I don't think it includes the "attic" space, which is actually a finished space. I'm not sure that warrants a mesh network. 

Square footage doesn't matter quite as much as simple experience. Layout, wall materials, neighbor proximity, router location, and a bunch of other things factor in. 

Basically, if your wifi is problematically slower in some places than it is near your router, a mesh system could be a good call. Eero gets recommended a lot. I personally like the Netgear Orbi, because it has a dedicated channel for talking to each satellite, and it starts with a pair of two, which is usually enough for most people. They're also far larger than the Eero or Google options.

If you want to have a lot of control over your network, I recommend the Unifi Dream Machine. It's not a mesh system, but it's very likely to cover that square footage by itself. It's basically a condensed version of a small/medium business class network. A slightly more simple, but still good option would also be the Synology RT2600ac.

If you want a more simple, single, powerful router, I think the TP-Link gets highly recommended as does the Netgear Nighthawk line.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

My house is about the same size.

I have dead-ish spaces in my house due to ductwork (one side of my basement) and cinderblocks (my garage).  A mesh network would help mitigate those problems.

If you don't have any of those problems today (that you care about fixing) a mesh network won't really do that much for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My house is about the same size.

I have dead-ish spaces in my house due to ductwork (one side of my basement) and cinderblocks (my garage).  A mesh network would help mitigate those problems.

If you don't have any of those problems today (that you care about fixing) a mesh network won't really do that much for you.

It’s hard to tell because my current router is such a POS. I’m switching internet providers (Century link is offering $60 fiber locked in price) so I figure now is as good a time as any to change routers as well. 

I appreciate all the responses, I’m going to look at those mesh options to see if they’re reasonable enough for what I’m looking for price wise. 

20 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

It’s hard to tell because my current router is such a POS. I’m switching internet providers (Century link is offering $60 fiber locked in price) so I figure now is as good a time as any to change routers as well. 

I appreciate all the responses, I’m going to look at those mesh options to see if they’re reasonable enough for what I’m looking for price wise. 

Just in case, figured I'd share today's Woot: https://computers.woot.com/offers/netgear-orbi-wifi-system-3-pack-6

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

What kind of speeds are you looking for?  I would check the reviews of any router before buying -- I haven't looked at mesh before, but I googled a review and they were getting slower speeds than I get on my (non-mesh, but also ridiculously priced) Asus GT-AX11000 router.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 10:28 AM, TwinIon said:

Square footage doesn't matter quite as much as simple experience. Layout, wall materials, neighbor proximity, router location, and a bunch of other things factor in. 

Basically, if your wifi is problematically slower in some places than it is near your router, a mesh system could be a good call. Eero gets recommended a lot. I personally like the Netgear Orbi, because it has a dedicated channel for talking to each satellite, and it starts with a pair of two, which is usually enough for most people. They're also far larger than the Eero or Google options.

If you want to have a lot of control over your network, I recommend the Unifi Dream Machine. It's not a mesh system, but it's very likely to cover that square footage by itself. It's basically a condensed version of a small/medium business class network. A slightly more simple, but still good option would also be the Synology RT2600ac.

If you want a more simple, single, powerful router, I think the TP-Link gets highly recommended as does the Netgear Nighthawk line.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, Ghost_MH said:

I personally am quite happy with Netgear's Orbi mesh network. The big thing it did for me is that I like that each full sized satellite has 4 Ethernet ports. Previously, I had to have an extra little hub hooked up to them. That might not actually be necessary for most people. However, it is a really nice option to have.

I just ordered the Orbi mesh one you guys recommended. I'm very much looking forward to this and the fiber service (being installed Saturday morning). 

8 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I just ordered the Orbi mesh one you guys recommended. I'm very much looking forward to this and the fiber service (being installed Saturday morning). 

Cool, a lot of the mesh systems these days are pretty straight forward and simple to set up, but I quite appreciate the extra features Orbi offers.