Microsoft made a bid for Platinum Games, who took Tencent money instead

crispy4000

Phil Spencer 6-months ago:

"I think it would be nice if we found an Asian studio, in particular a Japanese studio, to add [to our studios]. I liked it when we had some first-party capability in Japan. We have a small team there, but I think we can do more."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-11-i-would-be-nice-to-buy-a-japanese-studio-phil-spencer

tumblr_p8uzd2PsiY1wr9474o1_500.gifv

4 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Funcom 

I am more surprised by Nintendo not funding Platinum. With Bayonetta 2-3, W101, and Astral Chain, the working relationship was a positive one. 

Seems Nintendo is happy funding them for their own game, but it sounds like Platinum was interested in remaining multiplatform. Otherwise, they would have been up Microsoft's offer.

53 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Seems Nintendo is happy funding them for their own game, but it sounds like Platinum was interested in remaining multiplatform. Otherwise, they would have been up Microsoft's offer.

But Microsoft's whole shtick is making games and getting them everywhere now.

25 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

But Microsoft's whole shtick is making games and getting them everywhere now.

Even with that being the case, is Platinum big enough to every-platform all of their games? At their size, it should probably make everyone working there happier to remain a boutique developer that can pick and choose projects and platforms.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Microsoft should be trying to build up Mistwalker into what it once was instead, IMO.

I came in to say this as well! I really can't think of a better fit for both companies. Happy they didn't get Platinum because there is still a small glimmer of hope for Metal Gear Rising 2! M$ could also buy Nudemaker if they want to give me a proper sequel to Steel Battalion.

21 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I am more surprised by Nintendo not funding Platinum. With Bayonetta 2-3, W101, and Astral Chain, the working relationship was a positive one. 

Yeah, but as said before Platinum wants to be multi-plat. And Nintendo isn't a company willing to spend extra $$$ if they don't have or want to.