CDPR and Andrzej Sapkowski reach new agreement on "rights" for the Witcher series

Commissar SFLUFAN

CD Projekt Red gain "new rights" in agreement with The Witcher author

CD Projekt Red announced today that they have reached a new agreement with the author of The Witcher novels, Andrzej Sapkowski. The announcement is short and light on detail but is aptly timed to suggest new Witcher-related projects are in the works at the Polish games studio.

More like CDPR knew the Netflix Witcher series was gonna generate a whole lotta new interest in the property and they needed to lock that shit down before anyone else took it out from underneath them.

I would've been interested to see Sapkowski's gigantic shit-eating grin when they showed up on his doorstep with their bouquet of flowers and kneepads.

I know there were people interested in a Ciri game, but I don't have any interest in that. I'd rather have more Geralt(video game version of the books?), or a player created Witcher with all new original characters and the past heroes acting as allies and quest givers. I also wish LotR would stop doing prequels and have games and other view-able productions take place after the events of LotR. 

10 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

More like CDPR knew the Netflix Witcher series was gonna generate a whole lotta new interest in the property and they needed to lock that shit down before anyone else took it out from underneath them.

I would've been interested to see Sapkowski's gigantic shit-eating grin when they showed up on his doorstep with their bouquet of flowers and kneepads.

TBF, the initial deal was completely Sapkowski’s fault. For whatever reason he didn’t want a royalty deal and just an insanely low flat payment because he thought the game(s) would tank. When it blew up, he threw a tantrum via a lawsuit for more money. Correct me if I’m wrong.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

TBF, the initial deal was completely Sapkowski’s fault. For whatever reason he didn’t want a royalty deal and just an insanely low flat payment because he thought the game(s) would tank. When it blew up, he threw a tantrum via a lawsuit for more money. Correct me if I’m wrong.

That's right. I'm not saying it was CDPR's fault, they difn't do anything wrong. But if their license was expiring soon, coupled with Netflix's show, Sapkowski held all the cards.

21 hours ago, Bacon said:

I know there were people interested in a Ciri game, but I don't have any interest in that. I'd rather have more Geralt(video game version of the books?), or a player created Witcher with all new original characters and the past heroes acting as allies and quest givers. I also wish LotR would stop doing prequels and have games and other view-able productions take place after the events of LotR. 

IIRC, CDPR said that Geralt's story in the games is finished. So unless they change their minds (which is entirely possible), they won't make another Witcher game with Geralt as the main character.

12 minutes ago, Raggit said:

IIRC, CDPR said that Geralt's story in the games is finished. So unless they change their minds (which is entirely possible), they won't make another Witcher game with Geralt as the main character.

good thing they introduced gameplay with another, even more fun character to play who has a whole huge gap in her history to fill in :)