Two new Star Trek movies in development.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-2-new-films-confirmed-official/

For the last several years Star Trek has been unable to move forward with a cinematic production because of three reasons. The first is that CBS prioritized Star Trek TV projects over films, the second is due to complicated ownership rights between CBS and Viacom, and the third is because of contract stalemates between the studio and the films stars. However, many of these problems were solved when CBS and Viacom merged earlier this year, allowing Star Trek to have new productions with more money and less restrictions.

"Through the combination of CBS’ and Viacom’s complementary assets, capabilities and talented teams, ViacomCBS will create and deliver premium content for its own platforms and for others, while providing innovative solutions for advertisers and distributors globally."

One example of such premium content is Star Trek, now wholly owned by ViacomCBS. Bakish suggests that the merger will allow ViacomCBS to broaden their horizons, so to speak, and build brand synergy across markets. Instead of having two isolated Star Trek properties between TV and film, they can now coalesce. Importantly, The Hollywood Reporter also announced "Bakish said there are currently two new Star Trek films in development," leaving many fans to wonder just exactly how new Star Trek movies could interact with currently-running Star Trek shows.

"Through the combination of CBS’ and Viacom’s complementary assets, capabilities and talented teams, ViacomCBS will create and deliver premium content for its own platforms and for others, while providing innovative solutions for advertisers and distributors globally."

i took 16 people with MBAs to write that sentence. 

10 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

That’s great.  Where the hell is my Picard show

5 weeks.

I lined up my vacation so that the first two episodes will air during it :dancing:

6 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

So, does this mean we can finally have tv and movie character crossovers again?

I have been hoping CBS would realize crossovers are big nowadays and figured out how big of a goldmine they have with potential ToS, TNG, DS9, Voy, and Ent crossovers.

With Rene dying, it's a sad reminder that, while we are mostly lucky with the ST crew being a long living bunch for the most part, they're not gonna be around forever. We'll never get a Kira/Odo reunion now :rose:

Since Picard is already bringing in Seven and The Doctor, I am hoping season 2 Worf or a possible Captain Worf show could bring in the DS9 crew since there's a lot of ties there.

Either way, there is still time for a Picard, Kirk, Sisko, Janeway, Archer, and Pike crossover  I hope they take advantage of it....

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Another franchise saved by corporate mergers. 

Let's not be too hasty. There is a good chance they simply reboot TNG with younger actors who fight aliens to Metallica. When you are sitting in a theatre watching Taylor Kitsch as Picard slam a Romulan into the ground in slow motion and say "Make it so, bitch," you may reconsider your comment.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Let's not be too hasty. There is a good chance they simply reboot TNG with younger actors who fight aliens to Metallica. When you are sitting in a theatre watching Taylor Kitsch as Picard slam a Romulan into the ground in slow motion and say "Make it so, bitch," you may reconsider your comment.

Is Taylor Kitsch still a thing? 

Variety just announced that Picard was picked up for a second season.

I'm so hoping one of these dam episodes brings up and acknowledges that Picard actually met Kirk in Generations. It's still such a sour note all these years later that Kirk didn't at least get some attention for coming back and being killed in the name of nothing =/

1 hour ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Variety just announced that Picard was picked up for a second season.

I'm so hoping one of these dam episodes brings up and acknowledges that Picard actually met Kirk in Generations. It's still such a sour note all these years later that Kirk didn't at least get some attention for coming back and being killed in the name of nothing =/

Captain on the bridge.

Bridge on the captain.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread, and it's kind of off topic, but this is the most recent thread talking about Trek.

I would highly recommend the Short Trek they just released called Ephraim and Dot. I think it's a bit of an experiment to see how modern animated Trek would do since they are talking about an animated series.

But it is a ton of fun. A little cutesy, but really fun. Probably the only Short Trek I feel compelled to rewatch. 

Pretty impressive how they managed to fit....

Spoiler

A mix of Wall-E and a ton of Trek fan service

.....into only 8 minutes.

@Jason since I know he always enjoys Trek stuff.

Also, coming up here soon we'll be getting a Short Trek called the Children of Mars which deals with events after Nemesis but before Picard(*excited noises*).

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It looks like Noah Hawley's movie won't involve the current Kelvin cast.

While I like the cast, I also wouldn't mind seeing a Trek film that wasn't about the Enterprise. Like Star Wars, it might be time to move past the same stories we've been seeing since the 60s.

Between the movies and different shows, there’s not much they haven’t tried to do with Star Trek. They could find somebody who’s never watched a Star Trek movie or episode write and direct a new movie and still accidentally tell a version of a story already one in an episode or movie. 

Star Trek could certainly stand to get out of the rut of going back to the ToS era over and over and over, but it's also problematic to introduce an entirely new ship and crew with no connection to previous shows.

Luckily, Picard and even Discovery 3 are already set to finally break the decades-long ToS trap that Trek has been in.

As a long time fan, I am of the opinion that CBS should use the shows to revive and set up an Avengers type movie that brings together all 6 captains. Somehow, I don't think that's what they're talking about here, though.

If they are going to go with a totally new cast, I hope that means a new era, as well. Doesn't do much good if you change the cast and are playing around in the same 23rd century setting they've been stuck in for so long.

And it's not like Star Wars movies have really disengaged much from the original trilogy. They all have pretty strong narrative ties back to them. If they are going to attempt to cut ties with previous casts, they should at least try to do something like that.

For example, I am rewatching TNG in anticipation of Picard and just finished Yesterday's Enterprise. I wouldn't mind a story set with our original badass female captain Rachel Garrett and the Enterprise C. It would allow them to both play with a new cast, but also stay attached to established lore.

16 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

If they are going to go with a totally new cast, I hope that means a new era, as well. Doesn't do much good if you change the cast and are playing around in the same 23rd century setting they've been stuck in for so long.

And it's not like Star Wars movies have really disengaged much from the original trilogy. They all have pretty strong narrative ties back to them. If they are going to attempt to cut ties with previous casts, they should at least try to do something like that.

Star Wars and it’s fans are horrible about it. The new movies could have started 500 years in the future from ROTJ and they’d be pissed of force ghost Luke didn’t show up. 

Star Trek fans are at least capable of letting something new happen separate from the original characters as long as it stays true to Star Trek. I mean, not first, but they’ll come around (TOS fans were upset at new crew for TNG). But after TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise they’re used not having the TOS cast. The issue with Discovery was not the cast, but the aesthetic and feel. 

On 1/10/2020 at 2:04 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Between the movies and different shows, there’s not much they haven’t tried to do with Star Trek. They could find somebody who’s never watched a Star Trek movie or episode write and direct a new movie and still accidentally tell a version of a story already one in an episode or movie. 

I don't really mean the plots of the TV episodes, but more the characters they're centered around. You're very much right that after hundreds of episodes, Trek has covered a lot of ground, but I'd like to see the films explore new characters.

5 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I don't really mean the plots of the TV episodes, but more the characters they're centered around. You're very much right that after hundreds of episodes, Trek has covered a lot of ground, but I'd like to see the films explore new characters.

Trek fans are used to following different characters. They’re not always happy about it. I think the issue was the studio likes the name recognition of an existing crew to put them more at ease assuming audiences will care and go see it.