Ghost In The Shell: SAC_2045 - Netflix Series - Season 2 Coming May 2022

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The Appleseed movies were ok. Also Oblivion Island wasn't too bad.

I mean the Berserk trilogy is still worth watching, but it definitely isn’t the CG that defines it. It would be better without it.

46 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I still have to see Arise first, but if it's good, I'm in. 

Recently rewatched 2 of them on Netflix.... I personally wouldn’t recommend them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else know this is a direct sequel to the Stand Alone Complex two season TV series and Solid State Society film? I had no idea, and the entire English dub cast from that is returning for this - so that's pretty cool. Word is that the series is good but not great. "SAC_2045" should have been a clue. :p 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ghost-in-the-shell/sac_2045/ona-episodes-1-12/.159025

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Did anyone else know this is a direct sequel to the Stand Alone Complex two season TV series and Solid State Society film? I had no idea, and the entire English dub cast from that is returning for this - so that's pretty cool. Word is that the series is good but not great. "SAC_2045" should have been a clue. :p 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ghost-in-the-shell/sac_2045/ona-episodes-1-12/.159025

I figured it had to do something with Stand Alone Complex which is why I mentioned it above. :p

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I didn’t know that going in, but I am glad they’re not just retelling the same exact story. 

3 hours ago, legend said:

I am not opposed to 3d rendered anime in principle, but this art isn't doing anything for me.

yeah. Did not care for the first episode. Looked and felt like the entire show was reduced and animated using Borderlands 3’s game engine. 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah. Did not care for the first episode. Looked and felt like the entire show was reduced and animated using Borderlands 3’s game engine. 

Apparently the show does get better after the first episode, but never reaches proper GitS level heights, even with SAC showrunner Kenji Kamiyama back. 

6 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Looked and felt like the entire show was reduced and animated using Borderlands 3’s game engine. 

9 hours ago, legend said:

I am not opposed to 3d rendered anime in principle, but this art isn't doing anything for me.

Like I said in the OP I was excited by the Illya Kuvshinov designs but it didn't really translate well to 3D. :p

• 1 year later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Ghost In The Shell: SAC_2045 - Netflix Series - Season 2 Coming May 2022
  • 2 months later...

It's weird this is a sequel to the old SAC TV series and sequel film but they went with 3D rendered animation. For consistency's sake (and cause it looks better), they should have stuck with the original animation and just updated it for 2022. I still haven't even seen season 1 of this despite being a huge fan of the original SAC. Does season 1 explain how the Major is back despite the plot and ending of Solid State Society?

I still haven't seen all the unrelated Arise stuff either.

• 2 weeks later...

I started watching this. Personally I haven't watched any SAC stuff (or very little) but you probably wouldn't know if you just started with this.

On 5/20/2022 at 9:34 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Does season 1 explain how the Major is back despite the plot and ending of Solid State Society?

Seems like a no, not in the first episode at least. It's more like business as usual in Palm Springs. Actually the story is kind of a lot to swallow at first. There's a big info dump at the beginning and then you have to catch on to this sustainable war thing. I thought it was fine (again only the first episode still) but it's weird to go to read impressions from some sites saying "First episode is bad" or that this series is the weakest next to GITS2 (which I thought was very good!).

I think obviously the biggest weakness is the CG, which I don't think looks too bad. I mean we've known it was like this for a while so I feel like we just have to accept it now. The thing I don't like is that the sense of motion has a sort of weightless feel to it which is off putting to me. As I've said I'm a fan of Kuvshinov's work and it's nice to see it sort of in action here. I will say the end credits are just his 2D artwork and maybe a preview of what could have been. I do have a copy of The Wonderland around here I haven't watched yet. I should really check it out to see his artwork in action for reals.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I started watching this. Personally I haven't watched any SAC stuff (or very little) but you probably wouldn't know if you just started with this.

Seems like a no, not in the first episode at least. It's more like business as usual in Palm Springs. Actually the story is kind of a lot to swallow at first. There's a big info dump at the beginning and then you have to catch on to this sustainable war thing. I thought it was fine (again only the first episode still) but it's weird to go to read impressions from some sites saying "First episode is bad" or that this series is the weakest next to GITS2 (which I thought was very good!).

I think obviously the biggest weakness is the CG, which I don't think looks too bad. I mean we've known it was like this for a while so I feel like we just have to accept it now. The thing I don't like is that the sense of motion has a sort of weightless feel to it which is off putting to me. As I've said I'm a fan of Kuvshinov's work and it's nice to see it sort of in action here. I will say the end credits are just his 2D artwork and maybe a preview of what could have been. I do have a copy of The Wonderland around here I haven't watched yet. I should really check it out to see his artwork in action for reals.

Thanks for the breakdown, it helps! Reviews elsewhere have really hated on both seasons, apparently it's all pretty bad, so I probably won't be checking it out. It's a shame, it seems director Kenji Kamiyama's current obsession with 3D CG anime with co-director Shinji Aramaki through their Sola Digital Arts Studio has ruined him as a director (this is the guy who directed the original SAC show). He's ruined both of these seasons and the recent Blade Runner: Black Lotus anime this way. This was a guy who once directed some of the best anime TV series of their time; the first chunk of shows he directed are older ones in 2D, the second chunk is all his newer stuff, which is all in 3D with co-director Aramaki, you tell me which shows were better: 

-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (26 episodes)

-Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. – 2nd GIG (26 episodes) 

-Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. – Solid State Society (sequel film)

-Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (26 episodes)

-Eden of the East (11 episodes)

-Eden of the East: The King of Eden (movie)

-Eden of the East: Paradise Lost (movie)

-009 Re:Cyborg (movie)

-Napping Princess (aka Ancien and the Magic Tablet - movie)

-Cyborg 009: Call of Justice (movie)

-Ultraman (seasons 1 thru 3)

-Blade Runner: Black Lotus (13 episodes)

-Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 (two seasons)

It's a shame, Kamiyama should never have started co-directing with Shinji Aramaki (which is where Kamiyama's quality begun to slide), Aramaki's 3D CG anime has always been subpar. Kamiyama was better on his own in the 2D animated space, I wish he'd go back because GitS: SAC, Moribito, East of Eden and Ancien and the Magic Tablet were all excellent.

@Greatoneshere

I watched a couple more. I think the 3rd episode is where it starts settling in. The first two episodes are a kind of set up and it's kinda confusing but the 3rd episode hits and it starts clicking. As I said I don't know what happened at the end of whatever you were talking about but at this point it does sort of explain what / where the Major has been up to.

As for the CG I still think it doesn't look too bad. After thinking on it I think the biggest problem is that the look of the characters is between a CG and cel-shaded look and needed to be pushed on one direction more than the other. The rest looks mostly good, there's some good texture work and lighting here and there. I dunno, a total mixed bag but still I don't think it looks that bad.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Greatoneshere

I watched a couple more. I think the 3rd episode is where it starts settling in. The first two episodes are a kind of set up and it's kinda confusing but the 3rd episode hits and it starts clicking. As I said I don't know what happened at the end of whatever you were talking about but at this point it does sort of explain what / where the Major has been up to.

As for the CG I still think it doesn't look too bad. After thinking on it I think the biggest problem is that the look of the characters is between a CG and cel-shaded look and needed to be pushed on one direction more than the other. The rest looks mostly good, there's some good texture work and lighting here and there. I dunno, a total mixed bag but still I don't think it looks that bad.

I dunno man, these reviews are brutal - read season 1's and tell me what you think:

Season 1, ANN: 

ghost-in-the-shell-sac-2045-1.jpg
WWW.ANIMENEWSNETWORK.COM

All things considered, this 3DCG series is easily the weakest entry in this famous sci-fi franchise so far.

Season 2, AV Club: 

a6c7e720ad2e6505e439b525ca4350a2.png
WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Netflix's continuation of the iconic anime franchise can't quite figure out what worked in the past

39 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Season 1, ANN:

Yeah I referred to this one in my other post. As he said in his opinion GITS2 is one of the worst ones and I quite like that one so opinions seem to be all over the place for anything in this series. I generally go into a lot of things these days with no expectations because that's the only way you're going to give a review like that. So far it's not so bad in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I referred to this one in my other post. As he said in his opinion GITS2 is one of the worst ones and I quite like that one so opinions seem to be all over the place for anything in this series. I generally go into a lot of things these days with no expectations because that's the only way you're going to give a review like that. So far it's not so bad in my opinion.

Yeah I saw that too and I love GitS 2: Innocence. But I do know it's a very divisive film, but it's no question it's a technical showcase if nothing else. Keep us posted in this thread if you continue to watch more, curious if it ever reaches the original show's quality. 

@Greatoneshere

I'm up to episode 10 right now. I'm enjoying it for the most part.

I kind of mentioned the first two episodes were a set up, but it seems like the first 6 episodes are like a set up. The first two were just a set up for the set up. Then the 7th episode was kind of like a free episode for the next few episodes that are a setup for the actual main part.

So I could see how someone would be turned off since there isn't like a straight narrative from beginning to end. But the episodes aren't poorly written, they're actually pretty smart. I mentioned the 7th episode as a free episode because it is just very much a stand alone tale detached from the next or previous episode, but it was a fun episode. So I'm actually interested to see where it goes from here.

• Like 1