China Cancels Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Release Reportedly Over Bruce Lee Controversy

Jason

46 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I haven’t seen the movie, how was Lee depicted that’s so controversial?

He's depicted as an arrogant asshole who was talking shit about how he'd cripple Muhammad Ali in a real fight. Then Brad Pitt's character basically mocks him and gets the best of him when they start sparring... (It's presented as a tie but by the end of the scene, Pitt's character definitely has the upper hand) The scene is played for laughs and is also used it show how much of a bad ass Pitt's character is. The problem is that people felt like it mischaracterized Bruce because he admired Muhammad Ali so much that he would have never said anything even remotely close to that. When this was pointed out to Tarantino, he said he himself had heard Bruce say stuff like that and that Bruce Lee's widow had quoted him as saying it in one of her books (She didn't) and he dismissed the objections of Bruce's daughter and friends. A lot of Asian people, particularly Chinese folks took the whole thing as being disrespectful (Bruce is even more of a cultural icon in China than he is here) and here we are.

While Bruce was cocky, he was never arrogant or disrespectful.... that other movie about him that came out recently, Birth of The Dragon was equally derided because while it was somewhat entertaining and loosely based on Bruce's relationship with Steve McQueen and his actual fight with a Shaolin Monk, it was complete and utter bullshit  :p The guy who played Bruce in it was good though.

5 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

China is mad about a dead American born Hong Kong super star?

Bruce was born in America but raised in Hong Kong and definitely repped his Chinese roots. He became a "super star" over THERE first before  because despite being born here, he was never treated like anything other than an outsider. Kung Fu the TV series was supposed to star him but they gave it to David Carradine because an Asian lead actor was unheard of at the time until Bruce himself broke that barrier. Outside of him being a martial arts superstar, a lot of Asians in the entertainment business revere him because he paved the way for THEM to succeed in Hollywood and non Asian markets... This is why so many folks are offended. It would be similar to Tarantino having a stunt man knock Muhammad Ali out in a movie for comedic effect.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Anyone remember the days when if you saw that little gold sticker that said "Made in China" on anything you were interested in buying that you would avoid buying said product at all costs because you knew it was cheap crap?

When was this? For as long as I can remember shit always had a "made in China" tag or more specifically, "made in Taiwan".

When did the world start pandering to those cheapskates?

When cheapskates over here and  in the rest of the Western world realized they could make more money by exploiting cheap labor over there and selling our debt to them maybe?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bruce was born in America but raised in Hong Kong and definitely repped his Chinese roots. He became a "super star" over THERE first before  because despite being born here, he was never treated like anything other than an outsider. Kung Fu the TV series was supposed to star him but they gave it to David Carradine because an Asian lead actor was unheard of at the time until Bruce himself broke that barrier. Outside of him being a martial arts superstar, a lot of Asians in the entertainment business revere him because he paved the way for THEM to succeed in Hollywood and non Asian markets... This is why so many folks are offended. It would be similar to Tarantino having a stunt man knock Muhammad Ali out in a movie for comedic effect.

i know all that I haven't seen the movie but its meant to be a comedic scene. no need to get all china about it

While I imagine they had higher hopes for this film, it's not as if China has been a big box office draw for QT. Far as I can tell, his only movie to play in China was Django, and it made all of $2.6M.

I think it's a pretty silly reason to not show the film, and I can also really see why QT wouldn't want to re-cut it. Regardless of whether or not you like how Bruce was portrayed, it's an important sequence for Cliff Booth.