Atmosphere warming faster than expected

http://en.rfi.fr/contenu/20190917-earth-warm-more-quickly-new-climate-models-show

Greenhouse gases thrust into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels are warming Earth's surface more quickly than previously understood, according to new climate models set to replace those used in current UN projections, scientists said Tuesday.

By 2100, average temperatures could rise 6.5 to 7.0 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels if carbon emissions continue unabated, separate models from two leading research centres in France showed.

That is up to two degrees higher than the equivalent scenario in the Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change's (IPCC) 2014 benchmark 5th Assessment Report.

The new calculations also suggest the Paris Agreement goals of capping global warming at "well below" two degrees, and 1.5C if possible, will be harder to reach, the scientists said.

"With our two models, we see that the scenario known as SSP1 2.6 -- which normally allows us to stay under 2C -- doesn't quite get us there," Olivier Boucher, head of the Institute Pierre Simon Laplace Climate Modelling Centre in Paris, told AFP.

With barely one degree Celsius of warming so far, the world is already coping with increasingly deadly heat waves, droughts, floods and tropical cyclones made more destructive by rising seas.

A core finding of the new models is that increased levels of CO2 in the atmosphere will warm Earth's surface more easily than earlier calculations had suggested.

If confirmed, this higher "equilibrium climate sensitivity", or ECS, means humanity's carbon budget -- our total emissions allowance -- is likely to shrink.

The French models are among the first to be released, but others developed independently have come to the same unsettling conclusion, Boucher confirmed.

"The most respected ones -- from the United States, and Britain's Met Office -- also show a higher ECS" than the previous generation of models, he said.

This is bad news for fight against global warming, which continues to face strong political headwinds and institutional inertia despite a rapid crescendo of public awareness and concern.

Nightmare scenarios coming.

I can't hardly stand the heat waves I've experienced this summer. I do not want this to continue. 

I was talking with a coworker last night because the AC went out at the office and made us miserable in a week of 95+ degree days. Things can't keep going like this. Shit will start to break down. I think climate refugees are going to be a thing and cities in the north (and global south) are going to be seeing an influx of "gentrifiers" trying to escape the heat and weather changes and the bad shit that goes along with it. Because the people with the means to move will be the ones to do it. 

25 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I can't hardly stand the heat waves I've experienced this summer. I do not want this to continue. 

I was talking with a coworker last night because the AC went out at the office and made us miserable in a week of 95+ degree days. Things can't keep going like this. Shit will start to break down. I think climate refugees are going to be a thing and cities in the north (and global south) are going to be seeing an influx of "gentrifiers" trying to escape the heat and weather changes and the bad shit that goes along with it. Because the people with the means to move will be the ones to do it. 

Climate refugees are ALREADY a thing!

The Central Americans at the southern border and the North Africans heading to Europe is largely the result of climate change.

21 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The Central Americans at the southern border and the North Africans heading to Europe is largely the result of climate change.

With Central Americans I thought it was more our war on drugs fucking up their countries.

21 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

“Largely” is rather questionable.

Trump admin ignored its own evidence of climate change's impact on migration from Central America

Research compiled one year ago by Customs and Border Protection pointed to an overwhelming factor driving record-setting migration to the U.S. from Guatemala: Crop shortages were leaving rural Guatemalans, especially in the country's western highlands, in extreme poverty and starving.

@Jason

@sblfilms

@b_m_b_m_b_m

• Guillotine 1