He Was Wounded in the El Paso Shooting and Lauded for His Bravery. Now Police Say His Heroic Story Isn't True

Grant and his family were invited to The White House so that he could be recognized for his alleged act of heroism. As he and his family arrived to meet the President on Monday, the U.S. Secret Service (USSS) arrested him.

Last month, still attached to hospital monitors, 50-year-old Christopher Grant told CNN’s Chris Cuomo how he was shot on Aug. 3 inside of a Walmart in El Paso, Texas. Now, police are saying parts of his story doesn’t reflect what’s on surveillance footage.

In the CNN interview, Grant described seeing the shooter’s face, hearing people prayed in Spanish for their safety, how a Customs and Border Protection officer saved his life and how he attempted to deter the shooter by throwing bottles of soda at his direction.

El Paso Police Department (EPPD) spokesperson Sgt. Enrique Carrillo tells TIME that Grant had a warrant for his arrest and was a “fugitive from justice,”

Grant was indeed shot twice near his rib cage... [but]  the EPPD says Grant’s story about throwing bottles at the shooter doesn’t align with surveillance footage of the events that day.

“Mr. Grant’s actions were captured on video, but they do not reflect his account to the media outlet [CNN],” Carrillo said. “It contradicts his statements, in fact… [H]e did not take any action towards the shooter.”

Carrillo said surveillance footage shows Grant acting in “a manner of self-preservation, as best as I can describe it, and nothing else.”

“I’m not demeaning his actions,” he added.

I'm still not really clear on the entire reasoning behind the arrest. Maybe have a shadier past than initially believed considering the 'fugitive from justice' line.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Grant and his family were invited to The White House so that he could be recognized for his alleged act of heroism. As he and his family arrived to meet the President on Monday, the U.S. Secret Service (USSS) arrested him.

I'm still not really clear on the entire reasoning behind the arrest. Maybe have a shadier past than initially believed considering the 'fugitive from justice' line.

He was arrested when he went to meet the president because they might put up with lying to make your actions seem heroic in Texas....but not in the White House, dammit!