CBS All Access limited series adaptation of Stephen King novel The Stand

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-stand-casts-whoopi-goldberg-to-play-an-iconic-stephen-king-character/ar-AAH8XD7?ocid=AMZN

Whoopi Goldberg is heading to Hemingford Home. The EGOT winner will star in CBS All Access' upcoming limited series adaptation of the classic Stephen King novel The Stand as Mother Abagail, the leader of the good survivors of the Captain Trips plague. Goldberg and King made the announcement during the author's appearance on Goldberg's talk show The View on Wednesday.

Goldberg will take on the role played by Ruby Dee in the 1994 The Stand miniseries. In the novel, Mother Abagail is a 108-year-old daughter of freed slaves who has psychic powers. She appears to other survivors in dreams and draws them to her house in Hemingford Home, Nebraska in order to gather them for the final confrontation with the evil forces of Randall Flagg, her dark counterpart. She also has the power of prophecy.  

I really enjoy the source material, and Josh Boone, the guy co-writing and directing this, has been working on it for years and is a huge fan of the material, which is all very promising. Whether the guy who did Stuck in Love and The Fault in Our Stars (both good to great movies, but very different from The Stand) can do The Stand is anyone's guess though. We'd have a somewhat better idea if Josh Boone's The New Mutants would ever come out, though I'm guessing whatever comes out wouldn't really represent what he intended for the film at this point I'd imagine. 

https://www.dispatch.com/ZZ/entertainment/20190911/alexander-skarsgard-joins-stand-as-randall-flagg?rssfeed=true

The face of evil just got a lot more handsome. Collider reports that Emmy winner Alexander Skarsgard has been cast as Randall Flagg in CBS All Access’ upcoming limited series adaptation of Stephen King’s novel The Stand. CBS All Access declined to comment.

Randall Flagg, aka The Walkin’ Dude, aka The Man in Black, aka many other names, is one of Stephen King’s most iconic villains. He is an ageless man of considerable supernatural ability whose goal is chaos and destruction. He first appeared in The Stand and is the primary antagonist of the Dark Tower series. In The Stand, he leads a colony of evil plague survivors in Las Vegas, in preparation of the final showdown between good and evil.

skarsgard-as-randall-flagg.jpg

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

The Stand has been on my to-read pile for what feels like my entire life. Maybe the impending release of this series is what gets me to finally read it. At least now I can have Alexander Skarsgard as my mental image for the big bad. 

I wish they could have had Matthew McConaughey return for this series.

Did this just get announced today? I feel like this was announced quite a while ago.  I don't have CBS all access and likely won't be getting it, but I am curious to see how this turned out. I didn't read the article so sorry if I am just restating something that's already been said, but I remember reading that King was actually adding on to the ending. That definitely has my interest. Having already redone the book when he released his uncut version way back when I have to wonder what is left to be said.  

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Did this just get announced today? I feel like this was announced quite a while ago.  I don't have CBS all access and likely won't be getting it, but I am curious to see how this turned out. I didn't read the article so sorry if I am just restating something that's already been said, but I remember reading that King was actually adding on to the ending. That definitely has my interest. Having already redone the book when he released his uncut version way back when I have to wonder what is left to be said.  

It's been announced for awhile, you are correct.

Not sure about The Stand, but It: Chapter Two had rumors recently that King was adding to it but then it turned out he actually wasn't I believe.

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

The Stand has been on my to-read pile for what feels like my entire life . Maybe the impending release of this series is what gets me to finally read it. At least now I can have Alexander Skarsgard as my mental image for the big bad. 

I can remember seeing The Stand on my parents bookshelf when I was probably 7 years old. As I got older I thought, "that is one thick ass book, maybe someday I'll read it". Eventually they cleaned out and I took it.  I still haven't got around to it and I'm 32 now.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm in such a SK mood right now, you guys are makingm e want to read The Stand.

But I'm not ready for such a massive endeavor just yet. Too soon.

:lol: The Stand demands quite the time commitment not just because of how long it is but it also has a fairly large cast so it's not one you want to just casually read, a chapter here or there. 

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

:lol: The Stand demands quite the time commitment not just because of how long it is but it also has a fairly large cast so it's not one you want to just casually read, a chapter here or there. 

I think I'll go with Misery for my next King book. Since I actually have it on my Kindle right now.

24 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Yeah, if there's one thing King will always deserve credit for, it's the cast of characters he created in the Stand. EVERYONE has insanely extensive histories and backgrounds that would make George R. R. Martin curl up in a ball and suck his thumb.

Start reading his Son’s books if you haven’t already. Joe Hill’s Heart-Shaped Box is probably one of my fav books I have read in my 37 years. Gotta get around to reading my copies of Fireman and NOS4R2 and 12 or so other books sitting on my shelf

Must really love them Skarsgård boys for King’s material. 

20 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Start reading his Son’s books if you haven’t already. Joe Hill’s Heart-Shaped Box is probably one of my fav books I have read in my 37 years. Gotta get around to reading my copies of Fireman and NOS4R2 and 12 or so other books sitting on my shelf

Must really love them Skarsgård boys for King’s material. 

Joe Hill is great, and while I really liked Heart-Shaped Box, NOS4R2 is favorite of his so far. I've read it 3 or 4 times now. The AMC series, while having high production values, doesn't come close to brilliance of the book. Not to mention it seems to me they made way too many changes to the story.  

I will try to find some time to get too it. I remember meeting him in Austin, TX back 2010 and even read from that book which he was still in the process of writing. I always see what music influenced him for the book and wouldn’t say for NOS4R2 because he said it would ruin some of the book already. 

50 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I remember the crappy movie/mini series in the 90s. I think I watched it at my friend's house and it took all night.

My dad had the book. I could probably read it if I wanted to.

I barely even remember the mini-series, other than Molly Ringwald was in it, lol, but the book, like most of King's work, doesn't really lend itself to being translated for network TV

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You remember more than me!

The only reason I can remember that is because at the time it seemed like such a bizarre choice. Of course now that I am thinking about it, the kid that played Harold (can't remember the actor's name at the moment, though he later joined Stargate for a few seasons) seemed like a weird choice as well.