5 GHz All Core Boost

Intel Core i9-9900KS ‘5 GHz All Core Boost’ Flagship Mainstream CPU Available in October – Claiming Clock Speed Leadership By Delivering Advertised Boost Clocks

New special edition desktop gaming processor: Intel previewed the 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900KS special edition processor, the first to feature all 8 cores running at a turbo frequency of 5.0 GHz, making the world’s best gaming desktop processor even better.

Intel also showcased how the company is optimizing ultimate real-world performance on the most popular games running on Intel processors with both hardware and software innovations. Through the years, Intel has optimized hundreds of games by working with hundreds of thousands game developers.

:shock:

:lol: Looks like Intel really wants to stick to AMD's current boost clock issues. The problem is,  for mainstream users, its no longer about who has the speed crown, but rather who has solid enough  chips at good prices. This heavily bind'd crop of i9-9900Ks is nice, but won't really move the needle much at all. Its really just  a way to say "we have the crown!" coming into the holiday season. Next year, we will hopefully see something actually worth upgrading to, instead of this PR event. 

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

We ever gonna move beyond this 5GHz threshold? I feel like, overclocking included, we've been here foreeeever. And games still don't seem to utilize multiple cores as well as they do raw speed.

I wish, but until we can control temperatures better above the 5Ghz mark then it won’t happen. It’s the nature of the material’s thermal conductivity, so I suppose new material might reduce its profiles, but we aren’t there yet. The good news is that now that next gen consoles will have actual CPUs and not a calculator CPU, we should see much better usage of multicores in games going forward. 

53 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

As long as operations/performance per mhz/ghz continues to increase, is there even a reason to exceed 5ghz?

Right, as long a IPCs continue to rise we are good. Really, we are mostly hamstrung by the GPU in most instances, especially if you game in resolutions above 1080P. 

23 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Memory bandwidth and latency also becomes important with increased speed and core counts. Zen 2 gets a huge boost with DDR 4000+ or tight timings. 

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

I'm sure this 5 ghz chip needs fast memory too. 

Intel CPUs have shown to have fairly consistent performance whether ram speed is 2133mhz or 4000mhz (at least in gaming situations, unsure about others). AMD’s Ryzen architecture has always been very dependent on the speed and latency of system ram, however.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 11:45 PM, Xbob42 said:

We ever gonna move beyond this 5GHz threshold? I feel like, overclocking included, we've been here foreeeever. And games still don't seem to utilize multiple cores as well as they do raw speed.

I know it is only 6 cores, but my 9600k runs stable at 5.2ghz at 1.31V. 

I kind of want to sell it and upgrade to a 9900K to future proof myself with out needing to get a new board in the future, but I will likely be going backwards in terms of core clocks.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, Spork3245 said:

Intel CPUs have shown to have fairly consistent performance whether ram speed is 2133mhz or 4000mhz (at least in gaming situations, unsure about others). AMD’s Ryzen architecture has always been very dependent on the speed and latency of system ram, however.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/5.html

https://www.techspot.com/review/1891-ryzen-memory-performance-scaling/

It’s around a 7% average difference between 2133 to the top speed at 1080p with a 2080ti. I think people exaggerate Ryzen’s sensitivity to slower memory too much. If you get a 3000-3200 kit, you’re good. If you have a high mid range gpu or run 1440/4K, it matters even less.

On 10/3/2019 at 12:03 PM, Rbk_3 said:

I know it is only 6 cores, but my 9600k runs stable at 5.2ghz at 1.31V. 

I kind of want to sell it and upgrade to a 9900K to future proof myself with out needing to get a new board in the future, but I will likely be going backwards in terms of core clocks.

Better off upgrading only when you are dissatisfied with current performance.

22 hours ago, Massdriver said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/5.html

https://www.techspot.com/review/1891-ryzen-memory-performance-scaling/

It’s around a 7% average difference between 2133 to the top speed at 1080p with a 2080ti. I think people exaggerate Ryzen’s sensitivity to slower memory too much. If you get a 3000-3200 kit, you’re good. If you have a high mid range gpu or run 1440/4K, it matters even less.

The Techspot article shows a pretty good 15%  advantage from the slowest to fastest memory in games, when not GPU-bound.  

And I'll throw this article into the mix:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

Summary:  Basically, if you don't want to manually tune timings of your memory (like what Techspot did) then make sure the kit you buy has been tested by your motherboard manufacturer.  Also clocking the Infinity Fabric higher will get nice gains.

Also, obviously, none of this really matters at 4k right now.  Every GPU will struggle to feed the CPU at that resolution.  But me, personally, I like to have my cake and eat it too.  I'll play my single player games maxed out, but any multiplayer game I will tweak to get maximum framerates - as close to 144 hz as possible.  And I think I might take the plunge and get a 240 Hz monitor as a secondary, dedicated, online First Person Shooter display.

• 4 weeks later...

God my coworker wants to make a PC for music creation and the processors he is looking to get have me salivating. I am attempting to resist since nothing would offer a worthwild upgrade beyond maybe this i9-9900KS combo'ed with water cooling to OC it as far as it can go. Maybe I might mess around with the voltage a bit on my I7 6700k. I can't fet past 4.3. It won't even POST.