David Benioff & D.B. Weiss sign "nine figure" exclusive deal with Netflix

Vulture seems to think the series was canceled,

BO had no immediate comment on the departure of Benioff and Weiss, but sources familiar with the situation say the writers-producers do not currently have any leftover projects in development at HBO that might be produced even after they depart. This means Confederate, the controversial alt-history project that imagined a world where the South had won the Civil War, is now officially dead at HBO.

9 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It’s so weird that they had two years to do the final season and it still seemed rushed.

They probably felt bound to getting to some of the conclusions Martin told them about but didn't have the same pathways set up to get there and thus had to do . . . what you saw. But it really should have been better.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

They probably felt bound to getting to some of the conclusions Martin told them about but didn't have the same pathways set up to get there and thus had to do . . . what you saw. But it really should have been better.

It feels like they got to the end and said, “this is hard”, and gave up. 

Cutting yhe the episode counts was moronic, especially when hbo wanted more.

9 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm all but certain that the project was canned by HBO the day after it saw the firestorm that the announcement generated and the realization that it would be really difficult to get African-American actors to even consider the project.

4 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It’s so weird that they had two years to do the final season and it still seemed rushed.

I bet their time was split 80% Star Wars, 20% Game of Thrones during those two years.

I don't buy the idea that they rushed the last season so they could go off and do Star Wars. It was first announced that they would be doing Star Wars back in February of 2018, well after we knew that seasons 7 and 8 would be the last, and have a shorter episode count. Even though deals like that can take a while to finalize, I doubt it took like over a year of discussions. 

Sacrificing a show based on a property they were passionate about to go play with another property they're passionate about doesn't make sense. I think they were just exhausted from GoT because of how much work goes into it, and were ready to move on without compromising GoT because they didn't care. They just thought they could finish it all in 13 episodes divided into two seasons, and wildly overestimated their ability to do so in a satisfying manner.