Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have a GTX 970 that just bit the dust. I'm looking at current models (The RTX 2070, specifically) and none of them have DVI ports. Any dongles out there that will let me hook up two DVI monitors and one HDMI monitor to this interface? I see it has a USB Type C port. I'm a little technically illiterate with this stuff these days but at work I hook up my computer to a dock via USB-C and get three monitors that way. Can the same be done here? Seems like that would be kind of laggy for gaming but I don't know.

 

14-487-436-Z01.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is it DVI-D or DVI-A?

 

That is, if it’s DVI-D you can get a DP to DVI cable since they’re both digital signals: AmazonBasics DisplayPort to DVI Display Cable - 6 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014RWWURC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N.0pDb3755DW5

 

If your monitors are DVI-A then you need a digital to analog converter which are either expensive or absolutely suck and cause huge amounts of input lag with limited resolution and refresh rate.

 

I’m unsure about the USB C box as, IIRC, it’s supposedly meant for future VR headsets, but the box might work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the 2070 Super instead of the older 2070 (though evga did have a regular 2070 with a DVI port but just 1). There are adapters and you'll probably be fine with a cable like Spork suggested but note that it says it's limited to up to 1080p. Do a search for your monitor model(s) and DP to DVI cable to see if anybody else has tried it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

Get the 2070 Super instead of the older 2070 (though evga did have a regular 2070 with a DVI port but just 1). There are adapters and you'll probably be fine with a cable like Spork suggested but note that it says it's limited to up to 1080p. Do a search for your monitor model(s) and DP to DVI cable to see if anybody else has tried it.

 

Yea, I think you'll need a dual-link converter to go higher than 1080p.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Thanks gents. My monitors are only 1080 anyways :thumbup:

 

Are they 60hz? As I think you'll be limited to that refresh rate with those cables.

BTW, I did some searching and a USB-C to DVI-D box should work, as a couple of the EVGA cards actually come with a USB-C to DVI-D cable.

 

ALSO! Unless you really want those RTX features, (which 2080 Tis can barely do, let alone a 2070 :p ) a lot of 1080 Tis (faster than a 2070) have been popping up in the $400-range.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll most likely need at least one active DisplayPort (to DVI/HDMI) adapter no matter what card you go with.  You might even need two active adapters - but this will depend on how that particular card hardwired one of the DP ports.  HDMI to DVI (and vice versa) signals don't need a conversion because they are digital with a clock signal.  While DP is a digital signal, it has no clock signal natively, but a video card manufacturer can wire a port to send a clock signal and that port will be called a DP++ port. 

 

The Nvidia reference model for an RTX2070/2080 comes with an HDMI and a DVI port, so the chipset does indeed support having at least two ports carry a clock signal.  Partner models (like those from EVGA) replace the DVI port with a DP port, but my guess would bethey made it a DP++ port to pass along a DVI/HDMI signal.  The other DP ports may not be DP++.

 

After buying your card I would send an email to their tech support and ask them to clarify the exact specifications for each individual port.

 

Alternatively you actually might even be able to use a dock, but only for two of the monitors.  The USB-C port is only 10 Gbps, which is only enough for two 1080p displays @ 60 hz.  Your laptop's USB-C is probably Thunderbolt, which is 20 or 40 Gbps and why it can support 3 monitors.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Get better monitors.

 

16 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

 

Are they 60hz? As I think you'll be limited to that refresh rate with those cables.

BTW, I did some searching and a USB-C to DVI-D box should work, as a couple of the EVGA cards actually come with a USB-C to DVI-D cable.

 

ALSO! Unless you really want those RTX features, (which 2080 Tis can barely do, let alone a 2070 :p ) a lot of 1080 Tis (faster than a 2070) have been popping up in the $400-range.

 

My monitors are 144hz so if a dongle is going to cap that I might have to buy new monitors. Ugh.

 

17 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Any chance you want a Red Devil Vega 64?

 

I'm an Nvidia person. My backup card is an Nvidia 770. But if something changes my mind I'll ping you here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

 

 

My monitors are 144hz so if a dongle is going to cap that I might have to buy new monitors. Ugh.

 

 

I'm an Nvidia person. My backup card is an Nvidia 770. But if something changes my mind I'll ping you here.

 

1080 Ti’s have DVI-D ports and are going (new/manufacturer refurbed w/warranty) for about the same as 2070s.

You could look into an active adapter/converter that’s capable of 144hz, BUT, you’d need two of them and they are generally $150+ for non-laggy ones, at which point you could’ve just bought new monitors for a bit more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

 

1080 Ti’s have DVI-D ports and are going (new/manufacturer refurbed w/warranty) for about the same as 2070s.

You could look into an active adapter/converter that’s capable of 144hz, BUT, you’d need two of them and they are generally $150+ for non-laggy ones, at which point you could’ve just bought new monitors for a bit more.

 

Where are you seeing 1080 Ti's in the $400 range?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

 

3.5. But my older EVGA card is still trucking and it's been sitting in my machine alongside it the whole time :P

 

Cards die, it's more random than manufacture based. This has a warranty on it, I think 1 year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

So you have 1080p 144Hz monitors that don't have DisplayPort on them?  I thought most did.  I have one of the first 1080p 144Hz monitors that came out and it has DVI, HDMI, and DP ports.

Correct. These are my monitors. They only have DVI, HDMI... and a VGA for some weird reason. I bought them in 2016 and thought that was funny even then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Correct. These are my monitors. They only have DVI, HDMI... and a VGA for some weird reason. I bought them in 2016 and thought that was funny even then.

 

Can you just use HDMI for both monitors? I *think* DP converts to hdmi without limitations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll probably have to buy a dual link active adapter no matter what unfortunately, and the high bandwidth ones are either cheap and not very good or more expensive to make you just consider getting new monitors (144Hz are cheap these days).

 

But I tell you what.  I plan on upgrading to SimpleG's 1080 Ti.  Once I get it installed and make sure it'll work with my setup, which I am positive should work, then I'll have a 980 Ti to get rid of.  It was gifted to me from Stepee, and I'll simply return the favor.  If shipping is a lot, though, I might want to split that cost if that's OK.  I've never really shipped something this big and heavy so I have no idea.  So if you're interested in this free Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti, let me know.  Also might want to make sure your PSU and case can handle it.  This sucker is big.  Will probably be a week before I can ship it, though.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You'll probably have to buy a dual link active adapter no matter what unfortunately, and the high bandwidth ones are either cheap and not very good or more expensive to make you just consider getting new monitors (144Hz are cheap these days).

 

But I tell you what.  I plan on upgrading to SimpleG's 1080 Ti.  Once I get it installed and make sure it'll work with my setup, which I am positive should work, then I'll have a 980 Ti to get rid of.  It was gifted to me from Stepee, and I'll simply return the favor.  If shipping is a lot, though, I might want to split that cost if that's OK.  I've never really shipped something this big and heavy so I have no idea.  So if you're interested in this free Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti, let me know.  Also might want to make sure your PSU and case can handle it.  This sucker is big.  Will probably be a week before I can ship it, though.

 

Hey man I'd love that. I'd pay for the full shipping. My PSU and case can definitely handle that!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 980 Ti should be good to go, but for reference, DP to HDMI cables like this one can handle 1080p at, at least, 120hz according to the customer question section (so it should probably handle 144hz): https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B015OW3GJK/ref=asc_df_B015OW3GJK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141218295&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11273844597978412720&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1022385&hvtargid=pla-276066045819&psc=1

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...