GPU Died. Upgrade question.

18 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Correct. These are my monitors. They only have DVI, HDMI... and a VGA for some weird reason. I bought them in 2016 and thought that was funny even then.

After reading some reviews on these monitors, they apparently only support 60Hz in the HDMI port.  Other users claim to be using DP to DVI adaptors, but unable to get above 60Hz.

If you want to continue using them, using one of the 980Tis may be your best option.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

After reading some reviews on these monitors, they apparently only support 60Hz in the HDMI port.  Other users claim to be using DP to DVI adaptors, but unable to get above 60Hz.

If you want to continue using them, using one of the 980Tis may be your best option.

Yeah. That's why the DVI is important to me. :thumbup:

@GeneticBlueprint

Well, shit.  I think the 980 Ti half-died.  Loaded up a game of Overwatch and the framerate kept bouncing between 60 and 150.  Really bad input lag during the drops.  Booted up a lighter game, Rocket League, and same kind of issue - although overall framerates were much higher, they were still lower than I normally got.  There is also a strange humming/buzzing noise coming from the card, and the pitch changes depending on the load.  So it seems like a VRM died or cap busted.  Not sure why it would happen now, because the computer has been sitting idle the last 4 days with no load - I hadn't played a game since Sunday.  I've kept the clocks at stock, too.  Software reported that my temps were fine, but when I touched the card it was certainly hotter than expected.  Even after letting it sit idle on the desktop it seemed to get warmer than it should - particularly on the back of the card.  I haven't done extensive testing, but I threw it in another PC and it had the same issue.  I just borked itself :(

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

@GeneticBlueprint

Well, shit.  I think the 980 Ti half-died.  Loaded up a game of Overwatch and the framerate kept bouncing between 60 and 150.  Really bad input lag during the drops.  Booted up a lighter game, Rocket League, and same kind of issue - although overall framerates were much higher, they were still lower than I normally got.  There is also a strange humming/buzzing noise coming from the card, and the pitch changes depending on the load.  So it seems like a VRM died or cap busted.  Not sure why it would happen now, because the computer has been sitting idle the last 4 days with no load - I hadn't played a game since Sunday.  I've kept the clocks at stock, too.  Software reported that my temps were fine, but when I touched the card it was certainly hotter than expected.  Even after letting it sit idle on the desktop it seemed to get warmer than it should - particularly on the back of the card.  I haven't done extensive testing, but I threw it in another PC and it had the same issue.  I just borked itself :(

No worries man. Thanks anyways! That process sounds exactly like what happened to my GPU too. Haha.

59 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just jump over to this one. I'm sure you can afford the same monitors as @sblfilms :jordan:

I did spend* 3.4 million today buying the land the drive in sits on, so I may only be able to afford a budget monitor for a bit :p 

*financed

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I did spend* 3.4 million today buying the land the drive in sits on, so I may only be able to afford a budget monitor for a bit :p 

*financed

I remember following your theater on Facebook when you were building the first one. It's so cool how well things have gone for you guys. Happy for you!

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I remember following your theater on Facebook when you were building the first one. It's so cool how well things have gone for you guys. Happy for you!

Thanks man! It’s been life changing. Can’t believe where things are 6 years later.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Can I work there?

I pay my lawn guy $450 a week, you can do that. Only one day a week, free movies! Think of all the forum posting you can work in...