Jumanji: The Next Level Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Final Trailer)

8 minutes ago, number305 said:

So where is Zathura...?  Isn't that a Jumanji sequel too?

It is very much a Jumanji sequel (both the Zathura book is a sequel to the Jumanji book and the Zathura film is technically a sequel to the original Jumanji film) but I have no idea whether Jumanji 2 (and now 3) have canonized Zathura. Jumanji 2 clearly canonized the original Jumanji film. I don't know - maybe someone who knows these books and movies better than I can speak to that. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I always assumed Zathura wasn’t really a sequel but more existed in the same universe. 

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's my understanding as well, which is why I assume it'd be weird to have called Jumanji 2 into Jumanji 3 because Zathura exists. 

In the books, Zathura is 100% a sequel and is about the next door neighbors. It even starts with the neighbors looking out the window and seeing the Jumanji characters destroying the game.

However, movie-wise, there’s no Jumanji mention so it’s more of a “same universe” thing probably.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

In the books, Zathura is 100% a sequel and is about the next door neighbors. It even starts with the neighbors looking out the window and seeing the Jumanji characters destroying the game.

However, movie-wise, there’s no Jumanji mention so it’s more of a “same universe” thing probably.

Ahhh gotcha. I should read the book haha

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...