Xbox "Project Scarlett" Console Announcement Trailer (Holiday 2020 launch)

1 minute ago, TomCat said:

It does but the GPU   has been rumoured to be between 12-14 Terraflops.  thats not a 4xincrease   

We don’t know what metric of processing power he was referencing. My point is that it was a vague throwaway line that really doesn’t tell you much. 

If if they have something optimised for ray tracing (ie tensor cores), they could (in theory) be referring to Gigarays. Or some other metric. 

9 minutes ago, TomCat said:

oh for a game like Starwars battlefront they did.   I was told that only games like Forza would hit 60fps.   

Hell I know i would have had some takers If I would have bet that gears of war 5 would be 60fps in all modes.  I would have been told by the Superior Pc people that it would happen not a chance

Who?  I fully expect Gears 5 to be 4k60 on X1

2 hours ago, TomCat said:

My bet was that it would do 4k60 on a specific game.  It was said NO WAY is that possible.  Well it done it on that paticular game.  I was told it would NEVER HIT 60fps.  It does.  I didnt lie or was wrong about anything

You lost that bet when the game, Battlefront 2, was illustrated to be checkerboarded on the X by NX Gamer.  Other outlets reported it too.

The game employs a dynamic resolution on the base PS4 and Xbox One versions along with a checkerboard solution. However, the PS4 Pro version employs a dynamic checkerboard resolution with maximum peak of 2560 X 1440 and the Xbox One X, too, employs a dynamic checkerboard resolution reaching a maximum peak of 3840 X 2160 resolution.

https://gamingbolt.com/star-wars-battlefront-2-on-xbox-one-x-features-impressive-gains-over-ps4-pro/amp

No one argued with you that it couldn’t hit 60fps.  Just not 60fps at a consistent 4K natively. Ultimately, EA resorted to checkerboarding, which was a very good choice and honestly something to celebrate.  Their IQ reconstruction was good enough to trick Digital Foundry.

11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You lost that bet when the game, Battlefront 2, was illustrated to be checkerboarded on the X by NX Gamer.  Other outlets reported it too.

https://gamingbolt.com/star-wars-battlefront-2-on-xbox-one-x-features-impressive-gains-over-ps4-pro/amp

Once again My Bet was that the game would hit full 4k at 60 frames per second.   My bet wasnt that it had to maintain 4k the Whole Time. Only that it would hit 4k60. I won that bet.   I was told no way it would maintain 4k60.   It did it well enough that DF  couldnt tell at first if it was using dynamic resolution

dynamic Resolution was never mentioned in the original bet.  It was stated that a few frames below 60fps wouldnt be a deal breaker.  @JPDunks4 asked the Dynamic Resolution question but we never addressed that in the bet. only the framerate

8 minutes ago, TomCat said:

Once again My Bet was that the game would hit full 4k at 60 frames per second.   My bet wasnt that it had to maintain 4k the Whole Time. Only that it would hit 4k60. I won that bet.   I was told no way it would maintain 4k60.   It did it well enough that DF  couldnt tell at first if it was using dynamic resolution

dynamic Resolution was never mentioned in the original bet.  It was stated that a few frames below 60fps wouldnt be a deal breaker.  @JPDunks4 asked the Dynamic Resolution question but we never addressed that in the bet. only the framerate

Checkerboarding isn’t full 4K.  You yourself specified that when the bet was taken.  That it would be cheating.

It’s something you paraded around in regard to the X vs Pro as well.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Checkerboarding isn’t full 4K.  You yourself specified that when the bet was taken.

the overwhelming Source for confirmation at that time was Digital Foundry. I used their results to prove my victory. I never seen them do a recant and say that the game was using Checkerboarding  at that time yall posted some Random Youtuber results 

Just now, TomCat said:

the overwhelming Source for confirmation at that time was Digital Foundry. I used their results to prove my victory. I never seen them do a recant and say that the game was using Checkerboarding

They were illustrated to be wrong.  A recant wouldn’t make the facts as they are any different.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

They were illustrated to be wrong.  A recant wouldn’t make the facts as they are any different.

who Illustrated them to be wrong?  Some Random Youtuber I had never heard of at the time? i was suppose to believe his results over the mighty Digital Foundry Who were Holders of the Technical Analysis Crown?

4 minutes ago, TomCat said:

who Illustrated them to be wrong?  Some Random Youtuber I had never heard of at the time? i was suppose to believe his results over the mighty Digital Foundry Who were Holders of the Technical Analysis Crown?

NX Gamer is reputable.  Not as popular, and often late to the punch, but known for showing details DF sometimes brushes over.  They’re both generally good sources.

Their video clearly identified checkerboarding artifacts.  The proof is in the pudding.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

NX Gamer is reputable.  Not as popular, and often late to the punch, but known for showing details DF sometimes brushes over.  They’re both good sources.

Their video clearly identified checkerboarding artifacts.  The proof is in the pudding.

At that time quoting NX Gamer would be like me telling you to goto Crapgamer to get your M$ info. At the time the game released I had never heard of NX Gamer.  over time he has proven to be kinda realiable but at the time when the game came out No Way would I believe what he said

19 minutes ago, TomCat said:

At that time quoting NX Gamer would be like me telling you to goto Crapgamer to get your M$ info. At the time the game released I had never heard of NX Gamer.  over time he has proven to be kinda realiable but at the time when the game came out No Way would I believe what he said

He showed the artifacts in a few different scenes.  Ultimately, facts don’t lie.

• 2 months later...

Xbox Scarlett To Feature Dedicated Ray Tracing Cores, Gears 5 Dev Confirms

We don’t have anything to announce right now in terms of Gears with the new hardware–but I’m definitely super excited about what the new hardware could do. Having dedicated ray tracing cores is huge.

I guess this means that it won't be a huge leap forward in rasterization rendering performance over X1X?

If this is true, PC Gamers should avoid putting any money into a video card ATM that doesn't have RTX.

8 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I guess this means that it won't be a huge leap forward in rasterization rendering performance over X1X?

If this is true, PC Gamers should avoid putting any money into a video card ATM that doesn't have RTX.

First we've heard of AMD adding raytracing cores, right?  I wasn't expecting this until mid-cycle.

Curious to see if this will create a delineation between PS5 and Scarlett.  Or what first generation console raytracing will amount to.

8 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Technically Scarlett won't have "RTX" either, but more likely a generic set of DirectX-compatible cores (DXR) which AMD will think of a drab, forgettable name for.

8 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

First we've heard of AMD adding raytracing cores, right?  I wasn't expecting this until mid-cycle.

Curious to see if this will create a delineation between PS5 and Scarlett.  Or what first generation console raytracing will amount to.

I think there was news at e3 of hardware-accelerated ray-tracing by AMD.  My recollection was that some observers took this to mean dedicated cores, while others were less convinced.  AMD is in a tough spot right now, because they are selling their NAVI cards without ray-tracing at largely equivalent prices to NVidia's that have ray tracing (so seem to be arguing that ray tracing doesn't matter).  They can't push RT too much without undercutting their current cards.  Conversely, they can't completely poo-poo it without contradicting MS and Sony.  It's unclear to me how capable the next-gen NAVI ray-tracing will actually be.

If there is a delineation between PS5/Scarlett it will be because of different design decisions made by Sony/MS.  I can't see AMD not giving both access to the same options when design their next gen Zen2/NAVI SOC.  It's curious to me that reports are they won't be using Zen3, but will be using next-gen NAVI.

8 hours ago, Reputator said:

Technically Scarlett won't have "RTX" either, but more likely a generic set of DirectX-compatible cores (DXR) which AMD will think of a drab, forgettable name for.

True.  But "RTX" is the only hardware accelerated real time ray-tracing gaming solution currently on the consumer market.  It was easier to write than "hardware accelerated ray-tracing cores".  :)