Xbox "Project Scarlett" Console Announcement Trailer (Holiday 2020 launch)

7 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

So we know it will have:

-SSD

-Hardware ray tracing

-"8K support"

-Variable refresh rates up to 120

-Zen 2 / Navi based

So, nothing surprising. Seems like it'll be a real question of price / performance over One X.

they said 4x the performance of X1X. That seems pretty significant. 

All I want is interal SSD, Native 4K with a solid 60 FPS and a draw distance thats better than like 100'. 

34 minutes ago, atom631 said:

they said 4x the performance of X1X. That seems pretty significant. 

All I want is interal SSD, Native 4K with a solid 60 FPS and a draw distance thats better than like 100'. 

4x performance is pretty meaningless in practice. You can't really encapsulate the overall performance of a system in a neat way like that. In the end, it'll depend on what devs chose to do with it. The X1X is a good deal more powerful than the One, but it's often not particularly noticeable.

Things like draw distance and frame rates will always be dependent on the game.

I'd bet good money that a lot of the best looking games don't make 60FPS, especially if they go hard on the ray tracing.

I suppose the metric that will matter most is how much more effort devs put into the Scarlet to make it stand out. It's pretty clear at this point that MS wants devs targeting the whole Xbox ecosystem. I'm sure Halo will look great, but how much other games take advantage of the new systems will remain to be seen.

Hitting 60fps per second consistently throughout your game locked (or higher) should be mandatory before you can even release the game on any platform. If it can't be done, you either (a) don't release the game on that platform then, or (b), scale back whatever you need to to make it then hit 60fps on that platform. Having since been playing that way on a monster PC, it's hard to go back (for any genre of game, honestly). 

So they definitely didn't mention "family of consoles" or anything like that. I didn't hear anything that implied they are working on a lower tier base console and a higher tier premium console. Sounded like just one console, when every rumor we've heard so far made it sound like we're getting 2 consoles. 

Anyway, hopefully it's a beast. The 1X is definitely a very impressive piece of hardware for a console. I'd love for the Next Box to be a next gen version of that. 

25 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

4x performance is pretty meaningless in practice. You can't really encapsulate the overall performance of a system in a neat way like that. In the end, it'll depend on what devs chose to do with it. The X1X is a good deal more powerful than the One, but it's often not particularly noticeable.

Things like draw distance and frame rates will always be dependent on the game.

I'd bet good money that a lot of the best looking games don't make 60FPS, especially if they go hard on the ray tracing.

I suppose the metric that will matter most is how much more effort devs put into the Scarlet to make it stand out. It's pretty clear at this point that MS wants devs targeting the whole Xbox ecosystem. I'm sure Halo will look great, but how much other games take advantage of the new systems will remain to be seen.

this makes sense. However, I will say that there is a noticeable difference between the OG Xone (not the S) and the X1X. I have both and I gave my OG xbox to my son. The load times, texture quality, pop-in, etc. are definitely noticeable

Im in the middle of The Witcher 3 on my X1X and Im playing on the 4k option instead of performance. The game is gorgeous....but the pop in and draw distance are terrible. Gimme that game with those graphical hiccups eliminated and Im happy. Thats really what Im getting at. 

60FPS will defintely not be an issue for the new xbox.   The leaked benchmarks for Zen2 should have you guys very very excited for the next gen systems.   The Lowest demoninator  Zen2 chip is outperforming the current top of the line Zen Chip in a basic bencmarking test.    That means that the next gen systems will be BETTER then current top of the line Gaming Pc's.  We will have FULL Pc cores in these new machines.  Not two 4core mobile cpu's ducked tapped together.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TomCat said:

60FPS will defintely not be an issue for the new xbox.   The leaked benchmarks for Zen2 should have you guys very very excited for the next gen systems.   The Lowest demoninator  Zen2 chip is outperforming the current top of the line Zen Chip in a basic bencmarking test.    That means that the next gen systems will be BETTER then current top of the line Gaming Pc's.  We will have FULL Pc cores in these new machines.  Not two 4core mobile cpu's ducked tapped together.

Except that's not really how frame rate works. In fact ,the higher the resolution of a game, the lower the use of the CPU as at that point the GPU is doing all of the heavy lifting. The CPU will however help with Physics, 3D audio, ray tracing, and system functions running in tandem with a given game. Yes, the CPU has to be "this high" to ride the ride, but you could certainly achieve 60FPS in a 4K game with less than a Zen 2 CPU. Also, no. these consoles will not be better than a i9-9900K + 2080ti, which is the current top of the line PC. These systems will be great, but lets not make up stuff to fuel the hype. 

3 hours ago, Dre801 said:

So. . .24TFlops.  We will just have to wait and see how that is realized in the games we get.

Nope. There will be no console, or PC, GPU for that matter pushing around FP32 instructions at 24 TFLOPs at Christmas of 2020. For reference, the current 2,500.00 Titan RTX has a peak output of 16.2 TFLOPs. When they say things like "4 times the power" its not raw math, but rather a real marketing department master piece of merged theoretical benefits that produces what I like to call a Bullshit Souffle! :p

21 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Except that's not really how frame rate works. In fact ,the higher the resolution of a game, the lower the use of the CPU as at that point the GPU is doing all of the heavy lifting. The CPU will however help with Physics, 3D audio, ray tracing, and system functions running in tandem with a given game. Yes, the CPU has to be "this high" to ride the ride, but you could certainly achieve 60FPS in a 4K game with less than a Zen 2 CPU. Also, no. these consoles will not be better than a i9-9900K + 2080ti, which is the current top of the line PC. These systems will be great, but lets not make up stuff to fuel the hype. 

The main reason why games on the 1x arent 60fps is because of the cpu it cant provide the info to the gpu fast enough to hit 60fps. the gpu is capable of doing 60fps easily. I'm not spreading any type of fodder I said top of the line zen chip. Not fueling any hype just telling the facts

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomCat said:

The main reason why games on the 1x arent 60fps is because of the cpu it cant provide the info to the gpu fast enough to hit 60fps. the gpu is capable of doing 60fps easily. I'm not spreading any type of fodder I said top of the line zen chip. Not fueling any hype just telling the facts

Right, but the fact remains that with only a modest bump to the current X1X CPU it would work fine with a more powerful GPU to run games at 60FPS in 4K. Basically, the CPU doesn't do a whole lot. IF anything it just tells you how absolutely under powered the Jaguar APU processors were, even when they had just been released. The Exciting Part of the Zen 2 chip is what it can do beyond graphics. I'm happy that these next systems will have reasonably capable CPUs, but people should be much more excited for the inclusion of an SSD., as it will have significantly more of an impact than the Zen 2 CPUs. 

what they got out of the jaguars were amazing like I said they were two 4core mobile chips ducked tapped together.    This next round of consoles will put them on par with current gen top of the line amd's gaming pc's.    they have done some product checks on the slides that MS showed and it looks like it will have 24gigs of memory.  plus AMD has created a custom ssd that will use pcie4 bandwith and will also function as a Ramdisk for games that might need it.

6 minutes ago, TomCat said:

they have done some product checks on the slides that MS showed and it looks like it will have 24gigs of memory.  plus AMD has created a custom ssd that will use pcie4 bandwith and will also function as a Ramdisk for games that might need it.

Now these parts are something to get excited about! I can't stress enough how important and game changing a fast SSD + a ton of RAM will be! Even PC kids have something to be excited about because it means we that the low end hardware target for game design is going to jump up in a big way! 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Now these parts are something to get excited about! I can't stress enough how important and game changing a fast SSD + a ton of RAM will be! Even PC kids have something to be excited about because it means we that the low end hardware target for game design is going to jump up in a big way! 

O i know thats why I'm so damn giddy about next gen. they are designing these things right.  I have two 500gig nvme drives in my laptop. that bitch boots up from a cold boot to sign in in 6 seconds.  

1 minute ago, TomCat said:

O i know thats why I'm so damn giddy about next gen. they are designing these things right.  I have two 500gig nvme drives in my laptop. that bitch boots up from a cold boot to sign in in 6 seconds.  

I will say this much, console gamers will be able to hold their heads high in the hardware department in way they haven't been able to due since the 360 hit the streets back in 2005. X1X was almost that, and honestly an amazing piece of kit for the price, but the lack of a fast storage device and limited RAM held it back. Scarlet however, will be a very fine 4K machine.  

I find it so odd that this same discussion comes up every time a console launches. It doesn't matter how powerful a console is, 60 fps is never going to be guaranteed, and might never even be standard.

Quadruple the horsepower that devs have, and most will still opt to put more resources into everything but the frame rate. No matter how powerful a device is, it still has limited resources. No matter how powerful a device is, it still takes more resources to render a scene at a higher frame rate. If a game like Halo or Forza prioritizes frame rate over other effects, there is nothing keeping them from doing so in current hardware, and indeed we see that. If a game like HZD or GoW prioritizes visual fidelity (or anything else) over frame rate, it doesn't matter how much horsepower there is behind the scenes, they'll use it.

The biggest reason for this is and always has been, very simple: 30 fps is good enough, and most people don't notice or care about any increase. As long as that remains the case, devs will almost always be incentivized to put horsepower towards towards everything other than extra frames. More physics, more effects, more resolution, more whatever, as long as you hit a solid 30fps.

I have no doubt that Scarlet and the PS5 will be capable of putting out everything we get now at higher resolutions and higher frame rates. That doesn't at all mean that developers will suddenly change their minds to prioritize frame rates over anything else they could be doing with the hardware at their disposal.

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

So they definitely didn't mention "family of consoles" or anything like that. I didn't hear anything that implied they are working on a lower tier base console and a higher tier premium console. Sounded like just one console, when every rumor we've heard so far made it sound like we're getting 2 consoles. 

Anyway, hopefully it's a beast. The 1X is definitely a very impressive piece of hardware for a console. I'd love for the Next Box to be a next gen version of that. 

There could still be a lower end model. This presentation was about generating buzz. A platform offering a small performance boost does not generate buzz. They’ll talk about a lower end unit when they need to announce they also have an “everyone” option. 

50 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I find it so odd that this same discussion comes up every time a console launches. It doesn't matter how powerful a console is, 60 fps is never going to be guaranteed, and might never even be standard.

Quadruple the horsepower that devs have, and most will still opt to put more resources into everything but the frame rate. No matter how powerful a device is, it still has limited resources. No matter how powerful a device is, it still takes more resources to render a scene at a higher frame rate. If a game like Halo or Forza prioritizes frame rate over other effects, there is nothing keeping them from doing so in current hardware, and indeed we see that. If a game like HZD or GoW prioritizes visual fidelity (or anything else) over frame rate, it doesn't matter how much horsepower there is behind the scenes, they'll use it.

The biggest reason for this is and always has been, very simple: 30 fps is good enough, and most people don't notice or care about any increase. As long as that remains the case, devs will almost always be incentivized to put horsepower towards towards everything other than extra frames. More physics, more effects, more resolution, more whatever, as long as you hit a solid 30fps.

I have no doubt that Scarlet and the PS5 will be capable of putting out everything we get now at higher resolutions and higher frame rates. That doesn't at all mean that developers will suddenly change their minds to prioritize frame rates over anything else they could be doing with the hardware at their disposal.

If it can hit 8k i would imagine people playing at 1080p will get 60 fps.

It's sort of ambiguous at this point, but what is the likelihood of being able to play "next-gen" games on current Xbox hardware?  I don't care much about specs or frame rate, because most stuff I see is indistinguishable to my eye, save for the tiniest details.  If I can conceivably play games in the future via a combination of Game Pass and X Cloud, then I'll just get a One S and be done with it.