Xbox "Project Scarlett" Console Announcement Trailer (Holiday 2020 launch)

2 hours ago, TomCat said:

what they got out of the jaguars were amazing like I said they were two 4core mobile chips ducked tapped together.    This next round of consoles will put them on par with current gen top of the line amd's gaming pc's.    they have done some product checks on the slides that MS showed and it looks like it will have 24gigs of memory.  plus AMD has created a custom ssd that will use pcie4 bandwith and will also function as a Ramdisk for games that might need it.

Top of the line AMD gaming PCs haven't been top of the line gaming PCs in a LONG time.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I find it so odd that this same discussion comes up every time a console launches. It doesn't matter how powerful a console is, 60 fps is never going to be guaranteed, and might never even be standard.

Quadruple the horsepower that devs have, and most will still opt to put more resources into everything but the frame rate. No matter how powerful a device is, it still has limited resources. No matter how powerful a device is, it still takes more resources to render a scene at a higher frame rate. If a game like Halo or Forza prioritizes frame rate over other effects, there is nothing keeping them from doing so in current hardware, and indeed we see that. If a game like HZD or GoW prioritizes visual fidelity (or anything else) over frame rate, it doesn't matter how much horsepower there is behind the scenes, they'll use it.

The biggest reason for this is and always has been, very simple: 30 fps is good enough, and most people don't notice or care about any increase. As long as that remains the case, devs will almost always be incentivized to put horsepower towards towards everything other than extra frames. More physics, more effects, more resolution, more whatever, as long as you hit a solid 30fps.

I have no doubt that Scarlet and the PS5 will be capable of putting out everything we get now at higher resolutions and higher frame rates. That doesn't at all mean that developers will suddenly change their minds to prioritize frame rates over anything else they could be doing with the hardware at their disposal.

Absolutely right.

Howver, when  this console comes out, I am confident it won't have 4x the GPU power of the XB1X/

17 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

It's sort of ambiguous at this point, but what is the likelihood of being able to play "next-gen" games on current Xbox hardware?  I don't care much about specs or frame rate, because most stuff I see is indistinguishable to my eye, save for the tiniest details.  If I can conceivably play games in the future via a combination of Game Pass and X Cloud, then I'll just get a One S and be done with it. 

I would have to guess extremely unlikely. This is a new generation of systems coming out.

49 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

It's sort of ambiguous at this point, but what is the likelihood of being able to play "next-gen" games on current Xbox hardware?  I don't care much about specs or frame rate, because most stuff I see is indistinguishable to my eye, save for the tiniest details.  If I can conceivably play games in the future via a combination of Game Pass and X Cloud, then I'll just get a One S and be done with it. 

Games that require the SSD will not work on older hardware.  So I wouldn't count on any exclusive type of games to work.  Multiplatform games have a higher probability of releasing multiple versions, but I would expect the frequency to decrease after the second or third year.

18 hours ago, TomCat said:

60FPS will defintely not be an issue for the new xbox.   The leaked benchmarks for Zen2 should have you guys very very excited for the next gen systems.   The Lowest demoninator  Zen2 chip is outperforming the current top of the line Zen Chip in a basic bencmarking test.    That means that the next gen systems will be BETTER then current top of the line Gaming Pc's.  We will have FULL Pc cores in these new machines.  Not two 4core mobile cpu's ducked tapped together.

lol. The next gen won't even be as powerful as a high end comp from 2017.

30 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

They didn't say it. Go back and read, he's spouting bullshit. I mean, he also claimed it had 24gb of GDDR6. :duckhuntdog:

They did say it in a slide of the motherboard.  before they released the 1x ms released a slide with the components of the motherboard.  People smarter then you and me were able to look at that slide and determine what the memory was going to be.  They done the same thing with the slide from the scarlett.  The part number for the Ram indicated that it was a 2gig chip. there were 12 Chips which equals 24GBs.   No bullshit being spouted. Educate Yourself

The important factor is that gimped or not the Zen 2 based chips will be more than sufficient for whatever these platform holders want to do with them. Compared to last generation the balance between systems components is significantly better. These will be very solid platforms compare to their predecessors. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The important factor is that gimped or not the Zen 2 based chips will be more than sufficient for whatever these platform holders want to do with them. Compared to last generation the balance between systems components is significantly better. These will be very solid platforms compare to their predecessors. 

Exactly  these machines are being designed with no bottlenecks from the start.   Memory,Bandwidth, and processing power wont be an issue next gen.  they will be the most BALANCED consoles ever created.  

1 minute ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Doesn't change the fact that it's still gonna be a gimped console. It will be great, for a console. But itll never do 4k60, and it'll never compete with a PC. No amount of fanboying about Xbox will change that. 

you dumb. People said the 1x wouldnt do 4k60  but guess what it is.   If you dont think this next system will easily do 4k60  when they are claiming 120hz  I dont know what to say to you

You could easily render at 4k60 if the load is light enough.  Hell, 8k60 is technically feasible.  You can easily do that now on PC with last gen games.

Twinlon is right on this.  Give devs more power, they’ll find a way to target 30fps.

If 60fps becomes more feasible and standard for open world games, I think it’d actually come from improved streaming/loading from the SSD.

22 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You could easily render at 4k60 if the load is light enough.  Hell, 8k60 is feasible.  12k60.

Twinlon is right on this.  Give devs more power, they’ll find a way to target 30fps.

If 60fps becomes more feasible and standard for open world games, I think it’d actually come from improved streaming/load from the SSD.

So are you saying Gears of war 5 will be a light load on the X1X?

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Compared to other games targeting 30fps on it, yes.

Wow the Graphical Showcase game from M$ is running with a light load.  What did they remove from the game to make the load light and the game look so damn good? From everything I've heard they've raised the stakes in all aspects of the game.

35 minutes ago, TomCat said:

Wow the Graphical Showcase game from M$ is running with a light load.  What did they remove from the game to make the load light and the game look so damn good? From everything I've heard they've raised the stakes in all aspects of the game.

From the gameplay footage they’ve released this e3 now (check IGN), 60fps doesn’t seem crazy at all.  Nothing that Doom/Doom Eternal hasn’t superseded.  ID set the high bar there this gen IMO.

But definitely compared to 30fps games like RDR2 and Cyberpunk, Gears 5 doesn’t make that same grade.  Which is expected, and not a bad thing.  I prefer a 60fps target myself when feasible.

40 minutes ago, TomCat said:

So are you saying Gears of war 5 will be a light load on the X1X?

33 minutes ago, TomCat said:

Animations looked floaty like they had no weight to them. Does that count? 

3 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

But the 1x doesn't do 4k/60, not a single time, not without upscaling. 

TomCat makes patently untrue claims sometimes.  But this is just as bad.  There are games that are able to stick 4K/60 native on the system.

Diablo 3, off the top of my head.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You lost that bet. Remember?  It routinely fails to do 4K60. 

My bet was that it would do 4k60 on a specific game.  It was said NO WAY is that possible.  Well it done it on that paticular game.  I was told it would NEVER HIT 60fps.  It does.  I didnt lie or was wrong about anything

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That does not mean CPU. GPUs process too. 

It does but the GPU   has been rumoured to be between 12-14 Terraflops.  thats not a 4xincrease   so I took his statement to mean the CPU.  If you wanna get technical the Harddrive processes requests and that is getting a 40X increase

1 minute ago, TomCat said:

My bet was that it would do 4k60 on a specific game.  It was said NO WAY is that possible.  Well it done it on that paticular game.  I was told it would NEVER HIT 60fps.  It does.  I didnt lie or was wrong about anything

No one told you it would never hit 60fps. If the old messages were still around, I could find your direct quote. 

Almost any GPU can do 4K60 under the right circumstances. 

oh for a game like Starwars battlefront they did.   I was told that only games like Forza would hit 60fps.   

Hell I know i would have had some takers If I would have bet that gears of war 5 would be 60fps in all modes.  I would have been told by the Superior Pc people that it would happen not a chance