Halo Infinite - "Discover Hope" cinematic trailer (Holiday 2020 release), update - Infinite is a "spiritual reboot", takes place after Halo 5

Further information from 343 Industries

So with that immense responsibility in mind, we are building what we internally refer to as a spiritual reboot, a game with a vision set firmly in the future, but a foundation rooted deeply in the things our team and our fans have fallen in love with – the scope, the scale, the heroism and the moments of spectacle and wonder that brought players together on couches, at basement LAN parties, on Xbox Live and in esports arenas for years. The stories of shared adventure and individual discovery that made the first Halo game such a defining moment for millions of gamers – and helped chart the course for countless FPS games ever since. We want to recapture that sense of awe and delighted surprise – and the right way to do that is to lean into the things that are already magical, and build outward from there.

19 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Further information from 343 Industries

So with that immense responsibility in mind, we are building what we internally refer to as a spiritual reboot, a game with a vision set firmly in the future, but a foundation rooted deeply in the things our team and our fans have fallen in love with – the scope, the scale, the heroism and the moments of spectacle and wonder that brought players together on couches, at basement LAN parties, on Xbox Live and in esports arenas for years. The stories of shared adventure and individual discovery that made the first Halo game such a defining moment for millions of gamers – and helped chart the course for countless FPS games ever since. We want to recapture that sense of awe and delighted surprise – and the right way to do that is to lean into the things that are already magical, and build outward from there.

As hopeful as I want to be for this, 343i has burned Halo fans at every turn. 

The next question we hear a lot is “how much will the MCC PC games cost?” On PC, we’re excited to confirm that each game within MCC will be included with an Xbox Game Pass for PC subscription as they become available. In addition, each title can be purchased individually – Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3, and Halo 4 will be offered at $9.99USD on both the Microsoft Store and Steam while Halo 3: ODST within MCC (with a current scope of Campaign only), will be available for $4.99USD. Players will have flexibility to purchase any or all the games at any point along the way as they become available.

Didn't want to start another thread just for MCC pricing news.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/halo-at-e3-2019/

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Couldn't they have told us anything about the game?

I suppose it being a scarlet launch title makes sense. It'll be interesting to see the scarlet vs One X comparisons.

It’s not a lot of information, but MCs HUD says that he received new armor in 2559 and it was last modified by Halsey in 2561. Halo 5 took place in 2558 so this is several years after those events.

EDIT: Also apparently UNSC is pretty much gone 

Source r/halo

Some info from 343i's Frank O'Connor in a post at ResetERA:

It will run on Xbox One. Will it look precisely like that? We'll do everything we can to optimize to each platform - and the new engine was rearchitected from the ground up specifically to eke performance from the base specs better than we currently can, but also to scale up without the artificial ceilings that the old tech had intrinsically - so of course it's going to look better on Scarlett and some crazy Ryzen PC, but our intention, from the metal up is to treat the existing Xbox One as a first class citizen in a way we couldn't even in Halo 5.

Last E3 we sort of metaphorically showed earlier engine and game elements through a telescope from the distance - and this year, deliberately intimate and though a magnifying glass. Our game is very much something that happens outside the frosty glass of that Pelican in a large and expansive way - but we also want to tell modern stories where people become important parts of the stakes and where detail can be explored and examined as well as lived in.

Our associate creative director, who's building the narrative tools worked previously on the Batman Arkham games and part of his philosophy is letting players move seamlessly from character drama to epic scale action so that the contrasts in scale add to your experience - and the design of armors and more taking inspiration from the legacy games is just a part of the approach for Infinite, we're also committed to reliving the sensation of the moment from Halo CE, where you emerge from the crashed Bumblebee escape pod - but really you're emerging from the claustrophobic tunnels and hallways of the Pillar of Autumn and traditional shooters, into the sunlight of this wide open new space and all its potential and new ways to attack and explore it - which at the time was new for a console FPS and really the promise of the game all the way back to Steve Jobs' announcement back at Macworld 1999.

We want to get players into the mindset where instead of saying, "Did you see the part where Chief did X...?" and back to those beter conversations that start with, "Did YOU get to X scenario yet? And how did YOU beat it?" I always think Halo is best when some of the most exciting stories are the ones that the player has created within the opportunities and universe afforded by the plot and the furniture of its sci-fi sandbox. That's also one of the reasons the MC as a character has so many different subjective interpretations. To some players he's just a suit you wear and to others he's Ulysses or John-117. The way they set about playing the game hardens those conceptions, which is fine. True of MP to a certain extent too, especially in bigger sandbox modes.

I 100% believe CoDifying Halo is what made Halo bad. Basically, just Sprint and ADS. The story becoming more about MC and Cortana also didn't do the games any favors, but the man issue is that the only difference between Halo and CoD was coat of paint. Reach was the last Halo game that still felt like Halo, but I even complained back then that Reach felt too much like CoD. Another issue is the gun play. The Halo 2/3 BR has such a unique feel when you shot it. Same could be said about the AR and a bunch of other weapons, but they started all feeling like the same gun. At least that is how I felt in Halo 5. This isn't counting the alien weapons tho. Mostly just the human weapons. 

10 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I haven't played Halo in a long time so what did they ruin?

They deployed the title update for Halo Reach. A massively popular update, but they didn’t make it game wide. Splitting the community into Vanilla, TU, MLG, and Anniversary when those playlists came out. A lot of popular playlists were left in Vanilla like Snipers forcing people to play settings they had no interest in playing.

Halo 4’s story is a wreck without outside media. Probably one of the most unpopular pvp launches. Load outs, random power weapon drops, no ranked playlists, some of the worst multiplayer maps in the games history. 

MCC is one of the worst, if not the worst, launches in AAA history and while a lot better than it was still continues to be a buggy mess. 

Halo 5 is just awful. The story is by far the worst in the series, Locke is the most uninteresting character. ADS added in multiplayer, despite being promised that it wasn’t ADS. Balance patches that make no sense for multiplayer. I have a whole slew of issues with multiplayer that don’t mean as much to everyone else.

To 343i’s credit Halo Wars is alright.