Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That's what I thought but I searched to see if it ever happened and it turns out it did not.

There's even a master sheet of every game that has come to game pass and those games are not on it. Maybe some sort of Mandela Effect going on.

just checked my library... I must've bought Divinity on sale or something because I own it. May need to revisit it at some point, I remember getting stuck at a certain point.

• Halal 1

On 12/9/2023 at 11:53 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

just checked my library... I must've bought Divinity on sale or something because I own it. May need to revisit it at some point, I remember getting stuck at a certain point.

That definitely happened to me. The first time I played the game I couldn't really wrap my head around it. The second time I played with a friend and just said, "yo be a mage it's OP" and had a much easier time. :p

• Halal 1

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Best of 2023 | Baldur's Gate 3's worldbuilding and storytelling work together to bring to life an unforgettable adventure

Deep in the heart of the Shadow-cursed lands in Baldur's Gate 3's second act, I see a curious ball on the ground. Assuming it to be loot, my curiosity heightens when I highlight it. What I'm seeing is in fact a Shadow Vestige left behind by an enemy I'd just defeated in battle. I may have expected to pick up some kind of item, but what this curio actually gives me is a far greater prize than any treasure. 

You sense a fading echo of the person who once was, says the narrator. A dockhand. He did not ask for this. I sit with the line for some time, staring at the ghostly ball that suddenly becomes so meaningful. It may just be one little interaction, but this simple line of dialogue holds so much weight. It's shining a light on the dark world I'm in and my perspective immediately changes as a result. The shadows I've been fighting aren't just shadows, they're a reminder of the great tragedy that unfolded in these lands. They're victims who lost their lives thanks to the curse and Ketheric Thorm. 

"Originally, Act 2 was set in the Shadowfell. The Shadowfell is a dark, nearly colorless plane of existence," world building director Farhang Namdar says. "We always had this idea that the people you would meet were reflections of what they did in their life before this shadow curse hit the region. However, setting the entire region and all events in the Shadowfell appeared to be too limiting. So we created the shadow curse and applied the idea we had to the shadows." 

It's little details like this that bring Baldur's Gate 3's rich and varied world to life. The more time I spend in Larian's RPG, in fact, the more I realize there's no one reason why Baldur's Gate 3 is so effective at holding your attention and rarely letting go. Rather, it's a confluence of features, D&D-inspired systems, and smaller touches that work in tandem to deliver an immersive, compelling experience – and it's for all of these reasons that Baldur's Gate 3 is GamesRadar+'s Game of the Year for 2023. 

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Here's what makes Baldur's Gate 3 our choice for the best game of the year.

I can point to the exact moment I knew Baldur's Gate 3 would be a banger. Last year, Kurt Indovina wrote, hosted, and produced a video--aptly named The Box That Broke Baldur's Gate 3--in which Swen Vincke spoke in great detail about how Larian Studios utilized everything short of witchcraft to program Baldur's Gate 3 to twist and turn on itself to ensure that, regardless of the choices a player wanted to make, they'd always end up with an artifact in their inventory necessary to progress the game's plot.

In that video, I witnessed the desperation any Game Master has dealt with, the mixture of adaptability and exasperation necessary to plan a rewarding story and simultaneously agonize over contingencies for every chaotic thought the players at your table might have. At that moment, I knew that Larian Studios understood the assignment. The developers knew that, first and foremost, the most crucial aspect of Dungeons & Dragons is encouraging and rewarding choice by trying to account for as many outcomes as possible, no matter how unlikely, every step of the way through the story. The result of honoring that ideal is the best game of 2023.

Baldur's Gate 3 works so well because Larian cleverly uses every aspect of the game to lead your creativity back to the established narrative, curating a feeling that all options are viable and correct. Clever writing and the best all-around voice acting of any game this year bring Baldur's Gate 3's characters and memorable narrator to life, incentivizing you to pursue their respective storylines and follow their objectives. Intelligent enemy AI responds to your actions so even repeated combat encounters against the same enemies feel distinct, with your choices shaping fights to play out in myriad ways. Humorous discoveries seem to dot every corner of the multitude of locations, some of which can only be fully uncovered by having certain items or access to specific spells, so even after you reach the limits of the map, there's often still a sense of mystique and discovery to the world as if you've barely scratched the surface of it all. And the random nature of dice rolls ensures you can't always succeed at what you want to do and sometimes have to reevaluate, pushing you down a path that seems inspired even though Larian carefully authored it with the same care as all the other ways forward.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Swen says "don't hold your breath" for a Game Pass release
WWW.IGN.COM

In a new interview with IGN, Larian Studios boss Swen Vincke responded to questions about Baldur's Gate 3 being on Xbox Game Pass, explaining why the best RPG of 2023 won't be on Microsoft's subscription...

"Oh, we always said from the get-go, it wasn't going to be on Game Pass, it's not going to be on Game Pass," Vincke said when asked whether Xbox had tried to pay the studio to put Baldur's Gate 3 on the service.

Describing it as a "sensitive question," Vincke pointed out that Larian Studios is in the business of "making a game that has a beginning, middle, and an end." He also touted Baldur's Gate 3's lack of microtransactions, which has been praised in some quarters.

"We made a big game, so I think there's a fair price to be paid for that, and I think that that is okay. We don't charge you any micro-transactions on top of it, so you get what you pay for. Upfront it's a big meaty game. So I think that should be able to exist as it is. This is what allows us to continue making other games," Vincke says.

• Hype 1

WWW.IGN.COM

Larian breaks down the creation of Baldur's Gate 3, from memorable characters like Astarion and The Emperor to its various endings.

In the course of an hour long conversation with Vincke, Smith, and Ding, I sought to dig into the creation of these characters. What I found was that the same thoughtfulness that went into Vincke's speech also went into the creation of Baldur's Gate 3's cast, which might offer some insight into why they resonated so much with fans. I also talked about the path forward (Larian still plans to support Baldur's Gate 3), the possibility of a Game Pass release, and more.

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If you beat him ass you get a poggers fire sword

I beat him but the imps came in and finished me off. I'm further in now and I think it's fantastic. I love turned based combat and thinking about the best strategies to win a battle. The visuals are beautiful. 

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Bacon any good tips for the beginning sections? What's the most powerfull character build? I've been skipping everything because of the two hour time limit. 

Do you want to be a magic dude or a melee dude?

Barbarian (sub class Berserker) is easily my favorite and is SO easy to play. My build was the perfect mindless Berserker build. I did 5 into Barbarian, 3 into rogue, and 4 into fighter to make a lean mean raging machine.

You also can't go wrong with Fighter (sub calss Battle Master). You have more versatile melee options such as knockbacks, fears, and the ability to disarm other melee fighters. Figher is easily the best class in the game IMO.

Storm Sorcer is my magic class of choice due to the Metamagic mechanic. Wizard is a more powerful magic damage dealer, but Sorc lets you cast Haste on two people at the same time and that's rad.

Oh, another FANTASTIC choice for Main Characters is going 4 into Rogue(thief), 6 into Bard(Sword Bard), and 2 into Fighter. You use dual hand crossbows and are a ranged attacker with a fair amount of magical abilities.

The beginning of the game doesn't have much depth to the combat tho so I don't have too many tips. You'll spend most of your actions just dealing damage as your best option. Also, you need to pay attention to spells the require concentration. Concentration spells "break' if you cast as second concentration spell. It does not break on spells that don't require concentration. Also, you get more out of your limited movement in combat if you jump instead of run. If you don't need to use your bonus action, the orange triangle, Jump instead of regular moving.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Huh? You said you played 5 hours, correct? Are you experienced in this genre? I think they do a good job explaining things in the beginning. 

Yeah I’m past the flayer and all that and played a little more the other day on oled deck and got three additional members on my party.

I just like checking games out and seeing how they look and getting a general idea of how they play. So I buy more games than I actually have time to play. Which means a lot of times I’ll start a game just to “check it out” and play a few hours and then go back to whatever game I actually feel like making my main game at that time. 

If the game grabs me as something I can’t put down sometimes I keep going, but in this case there has just been other stuff I wanted to play first so I haven’t gone back yet. Doesn’t mean anything is wrong with it, I just like various types of games and am in the mood for certain types at certain times and there is just simply not enough time in the world for all I would like to play. 

I’m familiar enough with how the combat plays, it’s just slower and more strategic than I personally prefer but it’s not a deal breaker. 

Edit: So to clarify, when I say I need to get to something I’ve already played, I just mean giving it a serious go beyond a couple hours here and there.

• Hype 1

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Do you want to be a magic dude or a melee dude?

Barbarian (sub class Berserker) is easily my favorite and is SO easy to play. My build was the perfect mindless Berserker build. I did 5 into Barbarian, 3 into rogue, and 4 into fighter to make a lean mean raging machine.

You also can't go wrong with Fighter (sub calss Battle Master). You have more versatile melee options such as knockbacks, fears, and the ability to disarm other melee fighters. Figher is easily the best class in the game IMO.

Storm Sorcer is my magic class of choice due to the Metamagic mechanic. Wizard is a more powerful magic damage dealer, but Sorc lets you cast Haste on two people at the same time and that's rad.

Oh, another FANTASTIC choice for Main Characters is going 4 into Rogue(thief), 6 into Bard(Sword Bard), and 2 into Fighter. You use dual hand crossbows and are a ranged attacker with a fair amount of magical abilities.

The beginning of the game doesn't have much depth to the combat tho so I don't have too many tips. You'll spend most of your actions just dealing damage as your best option. Also, you need to pay attention to spells the require concentration. Concentration spells "break' if you cast as second concentration spell. It does not break on spells that don't require concentration. Also, you get more out of your limited movement in combat if you jump instead of run. If you don't need to use your bonus action, the orange triangle, Jump instead of regular moving.

Fantastic info. Thank you. I think I like melee over magic in general. I'll use your tips with the character build. I'm buying this now. I have so much free time at the moment that I can really focus on it. It's definitely my type of world and characters. I love fantasy like this. 

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I’m past the flayer and all that and played a little more the other day on oled deck and got three additional members on my party.

I just like checking games out and seeing how they look and getting a general idea of how they play. So I buy more games than I actually have time to play. Which means a lot of times I’ll start a game just to “check it out” and play a few hours and then go back to whatever game I actually feel like making my main game at that time. 

If the game grabs me as something I can’t put down sometimes I keep going, but in this case there has just been other stuff I wanted to play first so I haven’t gone back yet. Doesn’t mean anything is wrong with it, I just like various types of games and am in the mood for certain types at certain times and there is just simply not enough time in the world for all I would like to play. 

I’m familiar enough with how the combat plays, it’s just slower and more strategic than I personally prefer but it’s not a deal breaker. 

Thanks. I completely understand where you're coming from. 

Just now, stepee said:

This would be the perfect game to stream to deck, even your router could surely handle a turn based 30fps game :P

I prefer playing this on my 65incher. I thought about the deck and on steam it's $10 cheaper but I decided to go with my TV. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I prefer playing this on my 65incher. I thought about the deck and on steam it's $10 cheaper but I decided to go with my TV. 

I think it’s best you got this one on ps5 actually, but if you set up streaming or at least when you get a new router if you do it, you get best of both worlds. One purchase, play it in big screen for big moments, grind in bed while watching tv etc. It’s the bees knees.

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Fantastic info. Thank you. I think I like melee over magic in general. I'll use your tips with the character build. I'm buying this now. I have so much free time at the moment that I can really focus on it. It's definitely my type of world and characters. I love fantasy like this. 

If you go with my Barbarian build there is already a good YT video on it and I got some tips and tricks of my own.

If you do Fighter, it is pretty basic, you just play it straight but you'll want to know the best ways to get 20 str to make use of Great Weapon Master at level 4. Which is also true of barbarian. You can easily get 20 STR without wasting feats on Ability Score Improvement. Feats are like an extra special ability you get every 4 levels in a class, not 4 levels overall. Fighter gets like 2 extra feats I think and that makes them even more OP than they already are.

I also recommend eating all your worms like a good boy. Cull the Weak on Barb and Fighter is amazing and that means you'll want to focus all of your worms on your character.