What We Do in the Shadows (FX/Hulu) - Season 5 debuts on 13 July 2023

On 8/27/2023 at 10:25 AM, Brian said:

Some good moments and one liners but I’m pretty much over Guillermo vampire secret story line. It is dragging on and clearly the resolution is being saved from the last episode. 

I agree with you. Last week's episode was really funny in the moment, lots of great bits and good action, one of the better episodes of a pretty strong season. But the Guillermo-Nandor vampire secret thing is just dragging. I imagine they won't reveal it to Nandor now until the season finale but let's just get that part over with.

The two episode, two-part season finale dropped last Thursday, I finally watched it. A strong ending to a solid season. I'm not sure how to feel about Guillermo choosing to be human after 5 seasons of trying to become a vampire but so long as he no longer complains about Nandor not turning him or desiring to be a vampire in general then I'm interested in where this could go. Really solid lines as usual, with some Matt Berry line readings being impossible to recreate.

Oh nice that the renewal got announced then, I mean it is a solid comedy series that keeps hitting it out of the park. RIP Derek but oh well, we've said bye to you before haha

Having a double ep finale is freaking sweet. I just love & enjoy this series SO DAMN MUCH! It is SO binge worthy to boot, just all flows together swimmingly!

• Hype 1

This was a really great season with a lot of fun episodes, even if most of the events were ultimately only for Guillermo’s character development in realizing that he actually doesn’t want to be a vampire, and revealing that Nandor taking so long to turn Guillermo wasn’t solely based on him being a dick, but already knowing that Guillermo didn’t want it/wasn’t ready. Granted, this isn’t really a show you should watch for long term story arcs. :p 

My favorite episode is still the S2 or S3 episode where Colin gets promoted at his job and becomes a “super” energy vampire :lol:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Oh nice that the renewal got announced then, I mean it is a solid comedy series that keeps hitting it out of the park. RIP Derek but oh well, we've said bye to you before haha

Not sure if you saw it, but there's a mid-credits scene during the finale:

Spoiler

Benedict Wong makes a re-appearance as a necromancer and brings Derek back to life as a zombie, and then Derek chooses to live amongst the other zombies living with Benedict Wong, including an alive and re-animated Haley Joel Osment who has "evolved" as a zombie over time and can now talk normally, etc. Derek still has a chance! :p 

• Sicko Sherman 1

23 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

While I did enjoy the vast majority of this season, I do genuinely hope that the creators are seriously figuring out how to bring the stories of these characters to their natural  conclusions after the already-renewed sixth season.

Booooooooooooooo if Sunny can still be going and still be funny, then What We Do in the Shadows can have a long ass run as well. No reason to end this show anytime soon. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Booooooooooooooo if Sunny can still be going and still be funny, then What We Do in the Shadows can have a long ass run as well. No reason to end this show anytime soon. 

While it's absolutely "possible" that Shadows could sustain a similar high-quality run to that of Sunny, I'd say that the chances of that happening aren't very "probable" just from the law of averages.  The last thing I'd want is for Shadows to hang around past the point of relevancy like The  Simpsons or Archer or any number of other comedy shows that just didn't know when it was time to tell the last joke.

I'd rather them go out with us still thinking that there was something still left in the tank than have them run on increasingly unfunny fumes.

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

While it's absolutely "possible" that Shadows could sustain a similar high-quality run to that of Sunny, I'd say that the chances of that happening aren't very "probable" just from the law of averages.  The last thing I'd want is for Shadows to hang around past the point of relevancy like The  Simpsons or Archer or any number of other comedy shows that just didn't know when it was time to tell the last joke.

I'd rather them go out with us still thinking that there was something still left in the tank than have them run on increasingly unfunny fumes.

I think one key difference that helps Sunny compared to most other comedy shows as well is that the creators are also the writers, producers and actors who play the characters. They have such singular creative control that quality control issues on Sunny are rare because the actors don't want the characters ruined and it will never happen since the actors are also the producers and writers. 

On Shadows, who is to say down the line what bad comedy writers hired in the writers' room that the classic ensemble of actors are forced to say lines from when they are probably thinking it's not good. Most long in the tooth shows suffer from this issue that Sunny can't really. 

• True 2

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think one key difference that helps Sunny compared to most other comedy shows as well is that the creators are also the writers, producers and actors who play the characters. They have such singular creative control that quality control issues on Sunny are rare because the actors don't want the characters ruined and it will never happen since the actors are also the producers and writers. 

That is very much a key differentiator between Sunny and other comedy shows that I hadn't considered!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

On Shadows, who is to say down the line what bad comedy writers hired in the writers' room that the classic ensemble of actors are forced to say lines from when they are probably thinking it's not good. Most long in the tooth shows suffer from this issue that Sunny can't really. 

Well damn. Touche 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Well damn. Touche 😂

Yeah I mean I hope Shadows can last a long while and remain top tier but Sunny is in a unique position I'm sure most shows wish they could be. Hell, creator of Archer Adam Reed still voices Ray on Archer but stopped writing any episodes for the show a couple of seasons back and the dip has been noticeable even though he's still technically on the show! :p