Friggen Microsoft (X1X)

Spork3245

Got a 4k TV (finally). I like using my Xbone to control my cable box and use the HDMI-In that the One X has. Noticed that my cable box still says that the max output resolution is 1080p. I do some searching and see that the box I have definitely is 2160p capable, figure I’ve been using an old v1.4 cable and swap it out, still 1080p max. Plug the cable box directly into my AV Receiver, now 2160p is available, back into the XboneX, and back down to a max of 1080p. That’s when I decided to google... and apparently MS made this 4k console but left the HDMI-in incapable of 4k and HDR pass through with an old HDMI version. Granted, there are few live broadcasts available in 4k (occasionally sports events and things), but my cable box supports several apps which stream 4k HDR content and supposedly 4k HDR content is coming to on demand “soon”. It’s more annoying than anything, but WTF MS? :/ 

27 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It's almost as if a whole bunch of people complained about MS focusing too much on Tv/multimedia so they decided not to spend extra time and money on it.

Then why keep the HDMI in?

The HDMI in was/is actually popular and commonly used on the Xbone, the Kinect was not. 

That's definitely a bonkers thing to do. But I guess to be fair DirecTV and a lot of other cable companies barely even support 1080p content. Everything on my DirecTV "HD package" is 1080i. If it's the built in apps you are better off with the Xbox apps or the LG apps for that stuff.

5 minutes ago, The def star said:

That's definitely a bonkers thing to do. But I guess to be fair DirecTV and a lot of other cable companies barely even support 1080p content. Everything on my DirecTV "HD package" is 1080i. If it's the built in apps you are better off with the Xbox apps or the LG apps for that stuff.

DirectTV supports 4k HDR content, I believe The World Cup was broadcast in 4k. :p 

https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/4k-events

Honestly, it’s more about when on demand begins to stream movies/whatever in 4k HDR. It’s likely going to be awhile before any network films or broadcasts in 4k, but movie streaming on demand in 4k is “later this year”. :/ 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

DirectTV supports 4k HDR content, I believe The World Cup was broadcast in 4k. :p 

https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/4k-events

Honestly, it’s more about when on demand begins to stream movies/whatever in 4k HDR.

World Cup? I guess I haven't missed anything then :p All my demand stuff I get from Amazon or Vudu. It's all in 4k and HDR. But your point is very valid. Weird that they did that but I can see why they did that. 

5 minutes ago, The def star said:

World Cup? I guess I haven't missed anything then :p All my demand stuff I get from Amazon or Vudu. It's all in 4k and HDR. But your point is very valid. Weird that they did that but I can see why they did that. 

Check that link, you have several 4k channels available, as well as UFC Fights, MLB, concerts, etc. :p 

I really cannot understand the omission considering their hype that the X is “the” 4k console. The addition of an HDMI 2.0 compliant input would be pennies more and make the console “fully” 4k.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Huh. that mystifying! That's Worse than Sony's no HDR pass through with their VR breakout box. 

That is crappy but I read they revision PSVR that has ben out solved this issue. Too bad I have the older version.

I'm not surprised about the One X not passing through 4k. I have an AV reciver that is a couple years old and it has 4k passthrough but doesn't support copy protected 4k and HDR as well.

I think the most amazing thing about all this is the fact that people bitched and moaned about the TV/device control for the Xbone to the point that MS rolled down to just basic support (which is still more efficient than using a remote control), but now Amazon does the same thing with the Fire Cube and reviewers/people are gushing over it claiming it’s one of the “best innovations for device control ever”... when MS literally had the same “innovation” 5 years ago. :/  

46 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think the most amazing thing about all this is the fact that people bitched and moaned about the TV/device control for the Xbone to the point that MS rolled down to just basic support (which is still more efficient than using a remote control), but now Amazon does the same thing with the Fire Cube and reviewers/people are gushing over it claiming it’s one of the “best innovations for device control ever”... when MS literally had the same “innovation” 5 years ago. :/  

Comparing the 2 is a bit silly , one was a nice add on feature and the other offers almost complete home integration.

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Comparing the 2 is a bit silly , one was a nice add on feature and the other offers almost complete home integration.

It’s not a silly comparison at all. The cube is literally made to do the same thing the One’s Kinect already did and does, it just also integrates with Alexa. The reviews for the cube speak solely about the TV functionality and is the only thing being gushed over.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s not a silly comparison at all. The cube is literally made to do the same thing the One’s Kinect already did and does, it just also integrates with Alexa. The reviews for the cube speak solely about the TV functionality and is the only thing being gushed over.

I have the cube -- and I agree the biggest advantage is that Alexa>Cortana.

Up until 2 weeks ago, Xbox was my streaming box....  

12 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I have the cube -- and I agree the biggest advantage is that Alexa>Cortana.

Up until 2 weeks ago, Xbox was my streaming box....  

I have Cortana disabled and still use the OG commands. :p 

Cortana is made to compete with Alexa for home integration/control so I still have no idea how the comparison could possibly be “silly” when Cortana was made to be compared to Alexa/Siri/Google Home Assistant and the original Kinect commands were basically just a beta version of Cortana. :p 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I feel like I said the same thing like 3 years ago. People were afraid of spying and said controlling shit with your voice is too hard. Now every device has it (google, amazon, apple, samsung, etc)

And I always said voice control is what people dreamed of. I mean Star Trek was doing it, don't you want to live in Star Trek?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I feel like I said the same thing like 3 years ago. People were afraid of spying and said controlling shit with your voice is too hard. Now every device has it (google, amazon, apple, samsung, etc)

And I always said voice control is what people dreamed of. I mean Star Trek was doing it, don't you want to live in Star Trek?

22 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I still stand by that Microsoft innovates for the future. They don't always nail it, but they use concepts that are ahead of their time.

Now not everything MS originally planned with the XBO was exclusively their idea, but it was all ideas that are going to be the future of gaming. The way they wanted to sell games (have it work effectively just like Steam games do), to what they wanted the Kinect to be, to all the media stuff. That will all be standard stuff, it was just before it's time. People pushed back, they caved, and now I think it's made a worse product.

But the other reason why I still stand by Microsoft; they don't just release a product and call it done. Look at the 360, Windows 8, Windows 10, and the XBO. The interface and features are constantly improving. All 4 of those products are better now than when they launched, and in some cases drastically different from what they where when they launched.